Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:40 AM   #1
dem466
macrumors newbie

Weird finder problem for 'Documents' folder

Something weird seems to keep happening in my 'Documents' fodler. Everytime a file is created there by another program (for example, if I save a Word document into my 'Documents' folder), the fodler seems to 'clean up' itself, arranging everything by name. This doesn't happen when I manually copy files into the folder.

I have tried going into all the folder settings, but can't seem to figure out why it is doing this. None of my other folders behave like this.

The 'Arrange By' option is set to 'None', so that can't be the issue.

Anyone experiencing this issue/have any ideas?
dem466 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:20 AM   #2
talmy
macrumors 601

Check also the "Sort By" choice in the folder options. (This is not in the general Finder options, but you get to it from the context menu when pointing to the finder window.) By default folders sort by name except in Icon View.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:48 AM   #3
dem466
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Check also the "Sort By" choice in the folder options. (This is not in the general Finder options, but you get to it from the context menu when pointing to the finder window.) By default folders sort by name except in Icon View.
Checked that, and the 'Sort By' option is set to none.

I should mention that I have all my folders in the Icon view.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:26 PM   #4
talmy
macrumors 601

You could try deleting the .DS_Store file for Documents. Start Terminal and execute:
Code:
rm Documents/.DS_Store
killall Finder
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:08 PM   #5
dem466
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
You could try deleting the .DS_Store file for Documents. Start Terminal and execute:
Code:
rm Documents/.DS_Store
killall Finder
Had a go with that too, still to no avail :/
Old Nov 6, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

I've seen that happen when there are hundreds of files in the folder. I think it runs out of memory or something.
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:14 PM   #7
dem466
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMyMac View Post
I've seen that happen when there are hundreds of files in the folder. I think it runs out of memory or something.
Don't think that's the problem either. I have 7 files in that folder.

Although, the 'Documents' folder does contain a folder I keep all my music recordings in, and there would be hundreds of files within folders beyond that point. But I doubt that has anything to do with it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac