Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
My main concern with this phone is the camera. I currently have a Galaxy S2 and it's video recording seems so much better than the Nexus 4's. Check this video from Techradar: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J9f_DAdlRq8

By the way, the whole review is pretty good so those interested in the device should probably take a look at it.

Edit: I hope this is also a due to the pre-release software. When I check the spes in sites like GSMArena, they state that the Nexus 4 can shoot 1080p @ 30fps but the video in Youtube seems much lower.

Ya, the video I have seen from it doesn't look all that great. Definitely not really a step up in camera from my 4S. But I think the Nexus line is starting to not be known for the cameras.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I hate asking, but my Gooogle-foo results have been inconclusive: does the Nexus 4 take the same size SIM card as the iPhone 4S? What I've found suggests it does, but if someone has a more definitive answer, that'd be most appreciated.

My intention is to buy a 4 if and only if I can swap the SIM in and out of the 4S (AT&T, FWIW). If so, I'll make sure I like it, then hand down the 4S. If not, I'll likely just upgrade my Nexus 7 to the 32GB w/3G and get a month-to-month from T-mobile and not get the 4.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I hate asking, but my Gooogle-foo results have been inconclusive: does the Nexus 4 take the same size SIM card as the iPhone 4S? What I've found suggests it does, but if someone has a more definitive answer, that'd be most appreciated.

My intention is to buy a 4 if and only if I can swap the SIM in and out of the 4S (AT&T, FWIW). If so, I'll make sure I like it, then hand down the 4S. If not, I'll likely just upgrade my Nexus 7 to the 32GB w/3G and get a month-to-month from T-mobile and not get the 4.

It is a micro SIM like the iPhone 4/4S

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Ya, the video I have seen from it doesn't look all that great. Definitely not really a step up in camera from my 4S. But I think the Nexus line is starting to not be known for the cameras.

The strange thing is that the the video and sound are so much better when recorded from the front camera rather than the rear:

Front: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPVvCuy23C4
Rear: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IZIG-YnLhE&list=UU-kFCSJLpxuJdgMnQz8Dvrg&index=1&feature=plcp

I'm really hoping that this is due to the pre-release software, because everything else looks great to me but if the rear camera sucks this bad, then it's a deal breaker for me.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
If it doesn't compete well with my Galaxy Nexus with the 2100mah extended battery I will be disappointed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-11-06-15-33-20.png
    Screenshot_2012-11-06-15-33-20.png
    90.6 KB · Views: 55

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
If it doesn't compete well with my Galaxy Nexus with the 2100mah extended battery I will be disappointed.

My guess is that a 2100 mAh on a dual-core CPU at a lower clock speed and smaller screen will last longer because it will have less to power. Quad core and larger screen is going to eat through the battery quicker.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I love how the detractors are so quick to forget Apple's own missteps with iPhone releases. Antennagate anyone? Due to antennagate, Consumer Reports had to warn people against buying it. And this is "finished" hardware and software released to the public.

The 4S had battery issues too which required a software patch (http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...ne-4sios-5-battery-problem-promises-fix/15997). Again, the patch came post-release.

Apple recently released an update (again, post-release) for a battery fix with their Macs too (http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/0...updated-with-security-and-battery-life-fixes/). I know, I got the update on my Air.

Is it that hard to believe software updates can fix things? Or that unfinished software can give unexpected results in testing? Shocking!

When the final build and final software of the Nexus 4 still produces these varying results in benchmarks and battery tests, then you have my permission to die.

Or to complain, whichever. ;)

But for now, the only thing worth criticizing Google about is their foolish move to release an unfinished product to reviewers just to get out early reviews. The reviews are actually very good. There are just a few blemishes that are wrecking havoc, but use your brain. None of it adds up.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
But for now, the only thing worth criticizing Google about is their foolish move to release an unfinished product to reviewers just to get out early reviews.
Are you kidding? I love that they did so - and I hope people pay a lot of attention to the lack of LTE, the "horrible" battery life, the "bad" pictures, and so on. I hope people decide it's not worth getting one, or wait on reviews from actual users.

Because that, my friend, means I'm less likely to have mine delayed. :)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Are you kidding? I love that they did so - and I hope people pay a lot of attention to the lack of LTE, the "horrible" battery life, the "bad" pictures, and so on. I hope people decide it's not worth getting one, or wait on reviews from actual users.

Do post impressions :)

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Do post impressions :)
I will. :)

Note, though, that I'll be gone for a while starting Nov. 24, so if I feel there's a good chance I can't get the phone before then, I'll wait until after then to order it. I wish I knew exactly when ordering would open up (midnight PST? 8am PST?) so I could jump on it as soon as possible.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

My thoughts exactly. Helps me get it quicker and easier day 1. Then when it turn about its awesome and the store gets rushed, I'll have mine and be like haha :)

Amen, brothers, amen. Personally, I don't care about the camera (as long as its decent), battery life (as long as its not ridiculous), lack of LTE (not supported by my carrier anyhow), or any of the other "drawbacks" except maybe for lack of microSD but I can live with that for the price and maybe even stream a bit more from my mini now that I have 5Gbps upload from my ISP and unlimited data down on my cell plan.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Amen, brothers, amen. Personally, I don't care about the camera (as long as its decent), battery life (as long as its not ridiculous), lack of LTE (not supported by my carrier anyhow), or any of the other "drawbacks" except maybe for lack of microSD but I can live with that for the price and maybe even stream a bit more from my mini now that I have 5Gbps upload from my ISP and unlimited data down on my cell plan.
If the 4 is anything like the 7, you'll be able to root it and use USB OTG to add storage. I'm not counting on it, but I suspect it'll be a possibility.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I have been thinking about that and it might be useful for plane journeys and stuff like that but I'm sure its Google's intention that people stream more (from Google, preferably) on these devices.
I agree, and I prefer to stream, but only when WiFi is present. As you said, for flights and the like, having external storage is useful. I've got a Kingston Wi-Drive, and that works well also, but, obviously, not on a plane.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Or Google could just give us a 32GB version, dagnabbit.

Considering they could be subsidizing as much as $380 dollars per device, I guess I can understand why there's no 32GB version. I would have happily paid more for it, though.

Maybe:

$299 8 GB
$349 16 GB
$429 or even $449 for 32GB.

I would have been game.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Agreed. 32GB would be perfect for me. But, alas, I'll have to manage for now, and, really, if there were a 32GB option, I'd feel I had to get that one if I got a 4, and then I'd start looking hard at the price. $349 requires less thought. But that's just rationalization... I wish there were a 32GB option.

flopticalcube

macrumors G4

Considering they could be subsidizing as much as $380 dollars per device, I guess I can understand why there's no 32GB version. I would have happily paid more for it, though.

Maybe:

$299 8 GB
$349 16 GB
$429 or even $449 for 32GB.

I would have been game.

Agreed. 32GB would be perfect for me. But, alas, I'll have to manage for now, and, really, if there were a 32GB option, I'd feel I had to get that one if I got a 4, and then I'd start looking hard at the price. $349 requires less thought. But that's just rationalization... I wish there were a 32GB option.

If they wanted to play that game then $329 for an 8GB and an empty microSD slot would have been the way but I firmly believe they want people to stream. Also as a "developer" phone, the large capacities are not a big priority for the supposed target market.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
If they wanted to play that game then $329 for an 8GB and an empty microSD slot would have been the way but I firmly believe they want people to stream. Also as a "developer" phone, the large capacities are not a big priority for the supposed target market.

You don't think they're trying to reach a larger market than just developers? I think there's no clearer sign than before that that's their new goal. I'm sure they want to get the device into developers' hands too, but with the establishment of the Play Store, with the Nexus branding across all three devices (no longer just says "Google" on the back...), with the price point and new premium unibody enclosure, I think they're trying to reach a larger, more average-consumer market.

32GB would have been nice. Like I said, if they needed to raise the price of it a little bit to off set the subsidized cost, people who wanted the 32GB would have been willing to pay for it.

No one could have imagined it to be this affordable. Everyone was predicting $399 for the 8GB one. Then $449 for the 16GB. It turned out $100 dollars cheaper across. I had always said, I'll wait until price drop and/or a 32GB option. The price drop came day one!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I fully accept that they want people to stream, but given that the majority of people do not have unlimited data, and given that the phone has a few cameras on it and they're promoting photos/video, more onboard storage would have been nice, since many places you'd take HD video (the true storage hog) don't have WiFi, so you'd want to keep it on the device until you could upload it.

If the phone had LTE and everyone had unlimited data, it'd be a different thing altogether.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I fully accept that they want people to stream, but given that the majority of people do not have unlimited data, and given that the phone has a few cameras on it and they're promoting photos/video, more onboard storage would have been nice, since many places you'd take HD video (the true storage hog) don't have WiFi, so you'd want to keep it on the device until you could upload it.

If the phone had LTE and everyone had unlimited data, it'd be a different thing altogether.

Yeah, seems this is a win for the carriers if everyone has to stream and they end up going over their monthly data allowance. Price is excellent but a little more storage would've been a nice F U to the carriers so you don't have to stream everything and be able to store locally on your phone.

If I'm on tmobile user, I'd be pretty happy right now. Buy the phone outright for $350 and sign up for their 4G nationwide truly unlimited data plan with unlimited text and 500 minutes for $70.

Or if you don't use a lot of minutes, the $30 prepaid with 100 minutes and unlimited text and data is a great option. To bad 100 minutes wouldn't be enough for me.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
Yeah, seems this is a win for the carriers if everyone has to stream and they end up going over their monthly data allowance. Price is excellent but a little more storage would've been a nice F U to the carriers so you don't have to stream everything and be able to store locally on your phone.

If I'm on tmobile user, I'd be pretty happy right now. Buy the phone outright for $350 and sign up for their 4G nationwide truly unlimited data plan with unlimited text and 500 minutes for $70.

Or if you don't use a lot of minutes, the $30 prepaid with 100 minutes and unlimited text and data is a great option. To bad 100 minutes wouldn't be enough for me.

Is the $60/month T-Mobile plan the one that caps 4g speeds after 2GB?

I currently have the "Truly" unlimited data plan on AT&T from before they ditched it. I cant decide to stay on AT&T with the Nexus 4 and HSPA+ or save $27 a month and use T-Mobiles HSPA+

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Is the $60/month T-Mobile plan the one that caps 4g speeds after 2GB?

I currently have the "Truly" unlimited data plan on AT&T from before they ditched it. I cant decide to stay on AT&T with the Nexus 4 and HSPA+ or save $27 a month and use T-Mobiles HSPA+

Which is the truly unlimited AT&T data plan? Doesn't AT&T just throttle you after 3 or 5gb depending if you're on 3G or LTE?

Not sure about the $60 tmobile plan. When I spoke to a tmobile rep in store while playing with the Note II, she said if I purchased my own phone (nexus 4) to use on tmobiles network, it would cost $70 for 500 minutes with unlimited text and data (no throttling).

If I purchased a subsidized phone through them, same plan costs $20 more for the first $20 months of your 2 year contract to make up the cost of the phone. (Note II for example)

If I were to use the Nexus 4 on any carrier, I choose tmobile. Cheaper plans and faster Hspa+. It's only because I have "unlimited" data and excellent LTE is why I'm sticking with AT&T.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.