Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
I hope iPad 4 sales are sluggish, it would motivate them to release a "real" update in March, (e.g. thinner, lighter, new form factor, IGZO display.)

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I fall into exactly that crowd, what is FFC btw, FaceTime HD camera? :cool:

Oh yeah, sorry about that, FFC = Front Facing Camera :)

Nope. They said this for the iPad 2 to iPad 3 and a few apps use the power.

The performance difference between the 2 and 3 was negligible - all the additional GPU power was offset by the resolution.

Plus, MANY games were redesigned to make use of the additional resolution so developers DID make use of the improved display (just take a look at the App Store and how many include "retina" specific graphics). I'd imagine game developers having more complex 3D models, or better real time effects (like damage physics in racing games or multiple POVs) and productivity apps having a real time preview, etc. There's a video of an HDR app rendering an image on a 3 vs. a 4 and there's easily 2.5-3 times the performance difference.

reckless2k2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Who is brave enough to open their wallets without knowing the fact his brother got killed in 6 months!

I think the average person doesn't even know the iPad got an upgrade. I agree that most people ran out to get one when the 3 came out and there isn't "really" much of a difference to even know a 4 came out. Isn't the box the same too? No "4" anywhere or "3" prior so anyone would know. Makes you wonder if Apple knew there would be this quick of an upgrade so the just called it the "new iPad".

The "rage" is the Mini and people know that came out hence the demand.

paulold

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2008
Washington, DC
I went to the Apple Store (in the DC area) Sunday afternoon at around 2 PM. They had all versions of the iPad 4 in stock, but only the 64 GB Black model of the iPad mini in stock. I have to say, I really liked the mini. I think I'll be getting one and I might actually buy the 16 GB model cause I don't really use media/apps on my iPad. Mainly just use it to read books/watch an occasional movie when I travel. The screen looked fine. I had my 1st Gen iPad with me to compare. They all looked fine. I didn't think the iPad 4 looked so much better. I liked how much lighter the iPad mini feels.

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
Not surprising. Apple lumping the iPad sales in with the iPad mini sales to give off an air of 'success' with this launch. Considering the 3rd gen iPad came out about 7 months ago, the same calendar, it's probably to be expected. Each successive release will be following suit if they continue with this launch schedule. 2 iPads per year is a bit much tbh.

The force and impact of quick releases is definitely lessened.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Many people who wanted a retina iPad already got one, the lightning port is not much of a draw.

This is actually the reason I'm selling my iPad 2 and upgrading. I travel a lot for work and am waiting for the iPhone 5 to arrive at my door. I'd be furious the first time I brought a charger for one device and forgot the other. I am making the move to lightning ports with the "band-aid approach."

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This is actually the reason I'm selling my iPad 2 and upgrading. I travel a lot for work and am waiting for the iPhone 5 to arrive at my door. I'd be furious the first time I brought a charger for one device and forgot the other. I am making the move to lightning ports with the "band-aid approach."

"band-aid approach" Hahaha, nice.

You know, while it was a major reason for me to upgrade, I totally dig on the lightening connector - not just the current and future technical potential, but the ease of use. The old 30 pin combined with the connector being on a curved surface was my least favorite part of the iPad 3 design.

We will both be moving to iPhone 5 in the very near future, so we'll pretty much be all Lightening at that point (we'll probably have a lingering iPad 1 just for testing...)

BLOND37

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
Now if they can just do the same with the iPad Mini, I will be a happy customer! :D

i agree .. since launch day my local apple store just had 64gig minis and yesterday not even that

----------

holiday sales needs to start kicking in high gear in two weeks.

I bet iPad mini will be in stock in two weeks as well.

you really think that (about the minis? i plan to get a 16gig in december

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
And this is why that advertisement-post for Gazelle at the end of October was bogative... reporting a 700-1000% increase in people selling their "New iPad"? A few to a handful makes a nice +%, but it is still only a handful of people.

Only the jonesiest of the joneses are are going to justify the minor upgrade from the "New iPad" to the "New New iPad".

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
It is truly magical how every single new product Apple releases goes out of stock very shortly after going on sale, creating a frenzy for people who want to be lucky enough to acquire one - only to be followed by adequate stock being available very shortly thereafter.

But one thing we can be certain of - this is NOT a marketing ploy by Apple to inflate demand.

/s

I find it really incredible that there are a fair number of people on these forums that actually believe nonsense like this. No successful company is going to deliberately create a shortage of their products right before the holiday season to create a frenzy for it or long lines to get into the press, period.

People like this seem to be in the same camp as people who actually believe that Apple only sells millions of iDevices because the gullible hypnotized "sheep" will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. Slap an Apple logo on a turd, and millions will buy it. It has nothing to do with the fact that Apple makes great products that people want.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I find it really incredible that there are a fair number of people on these forums that actually believe nonsense like this. No successful company is going to deliberately create a shortage of their products right before the holiday season to create a frenzy for it or long lines to get into the press, period.

People like this seem to be in the same camp as people who actually believe that Apple only sells millions of iDevices because the gullible hypnotized "sheep" will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. Slap an Apple logo on a turd, and millions will buy it. It has nothing to do with the fact that Apple makes great products that people want.

I am with you. The number of haters and trolls is probably even higher than the number of dedicated fanboys on this site at this point. I suppose it's out of the question that apple can't keep up with demand at first and then supply catches up after the initial rush. Crazy talk, right?? Has to be a plot of some kind. Good grief.

----------

"band-aid approach" Hahaha, nice.

You know, while it was a major reason for me to upgrade, I totally dig on the lightening connector - not just the current and future technical potential, but the ease of use. The old 30 pin combined with the connector being on a curved surface was my least favorite part of the iPad 3 design.

We will both be moving to iPhone 5 in the very near future, so we'll pretty much be all Lightening at that point (we'll probably have a lingering iPad 1 just for testing...)

I agree, it's a big draw for me too, but probably not quite enough of one. It's a pain to need different cables now. But I don't know if that justifies the upgrade from my trusty iPad 2 with its excellent battery life, thin profile, and faster charge time.

EmpireITtech

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012

Maybe, but I will say that more of the "average" users out these days will buy a new Apple product over another similar product. Apple is the "cool" thing these days (pun on English court ruling intended) and I know a ton of people (girls mainly lol) who have bought every iPhone even out of contract, just bc they wanted the Apple product. They didn't even know or use the new features lol.

catracho

macrumors member
May 27, 2006
If I bought an iPad 4 in the Apple store, could Apple give me some credit for my iPad 2?

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I think we all pretty much knew that the mini accounted for 2-2.5 million of the iPad sales this weekend.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Well, at least we now know why the "New iPad" wasn't called "iPad 3". This one would have to be called "iPad 4".....alienating all of the "iPad 3" customers. Both iPad 3 and 4 owners can still call their iPad "The New iPad"

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Who wants to buy an iPad 4 when many just bought an iPad 3 and others are waiting for an iPad 5 early next year. Apple pissed off some customers and at the same time confused others if an iPad isn't released next March.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Is there anyone out there who has actually looked at the iPad 4?

I'd like to know if yellow screen tinge (as reported in other threads) is a real issue or just a few bad apples (pun intended) :D

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
It is truly magical how every single new product Apple releases goes out of stock very shortly after going on sale, creating a frenzy for people who want to be lucky enough to acquire one - only to be followed by adequate stock being available very shortly thereafter.

But one thing we can be certain of - this is NOT a marketing ploy by Apple to inflate demand.

/s

It isn't a marketing ploy, it is called physics. I'm going to introduce you to a few concepts that you might not be familiar with so see if you can follow along. Making new products takes "time". You don't just place an order for millions of complicated devices and get them constructed over a weekend. Also you can only start making the new product after you have fully designed and tested the prototypes. So "time" before completing the design and testing can't be used for making the product.
When a new product is introduced, customers have not yet acquired it. So there is this thing called "demand", which in the case of Apple often peaks right at the introduction because it is at that point that the highest number of customers who do not have the product exist. As the product is delivered to customers, demand is satisfied. So demand decreases as the products are delivered.
Also, while the product is being delivered Apple gets more "time". Apple uses this time to make new products.
Eventually equilibrium is reached as demand starts matching the time Apple has to have more of the product made.

The only way for Apple to have on hand enough product to satisfy the initial surge of demand is to hold off on announcing and selling the product. Apple could then get more time. Apple could have made iPad Minis for two months and secretly stockpiled them (with many invariably slipping out). But that would have just allowed Amazon, Google, and Microsoft more time to play in the mini tablet space without an Apple competitor. That would have been a terrible strategic decision.

There are only so many factories in China with so many workers that are capable of making these machines and all the various components. You also can't, at this point, just increase the number of factories devoted to a product for a couple of weeks. Configuring a factory (and training employees) to make a product like this takes time and money. The factory needs to stay devoted to the same product for a significant period of time to spread those costs out in an economic fashion.

atlatnesiti

Suspended
Sep 4, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Who wants to buy an iPad 4 when many just bought an iPad 3 and others are waiting for an iPad 5 early next year.
Apple pissed off some customers and at the
same time confused others if an iPad isn't released next March.
Apple has never promised to release new iPads once a year in March, but if you're right iPad 5 will be released in November next year.
Happy waiting...

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I am waiting for the after xmas stories about a kid getting an ipad3 instead of an ipad4 (with the parents/grandparents paying ipad4 price) :D yes i am evil like that hahaha. This is Apple's fault for naming it "the ipad" instead of ipad4

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
True but in a few months we will be closer to the iPad 5th gen. I think the next update will focus on size/weight and that is more important to me as a 3rd gen owner.

That depends on when the 5th generation model comes out. If it comes out in March / April, then i agree it will focus solely on size / weight. If it comes out in the Fall then I think it will focus on more than that. By this time next year the Rogue GPU will be available and there's a good chance Apple may use that GPU. At the same clock rate, the Rogue GPU is supposedly around 2X faster (if not more) at the same clock speed, than the current iPad GPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.