Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dem466

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Something weird seems to keep happening in my 'Documents' fodler. Everytime a file is created there by another program (for example, if I save a Word document into my 'Documents' folder), the fodler seems to 'clean up' itself, arranging everything by name. This doesn't happen when I manually copy files into the folder.

I have tried going into all the folder settings, but can't seem to figure out why it is doing this. None of my other folders behave like this.

The 'Arrange By' option is set to 'None', so that can't be the issue.

Anyone experiencing this issue/have any ideas?

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
Check also the "Sort By" choice in the folder options. (This is not in the general Finder options, but you get to it from the context menu when pointing to the finder window.) By default folders sort by name except in Icon View.

dem466

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Check also the "Sort By" choice in the folder options. (This is not in the general Finder options, but you get to it from the context menu when pointing to the finder window.) By default folders sort by name except in Icon View.

Checked that, and the 'Sort By' option is set to none.

I should mention that I have all my folders in the Icon view.

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
You could try deleting the .DS_Store file for Documents. Start Terminal and execute:
Code:
rm Documents/.DS_Store
killall Finder

dem466

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
You could try deleting the .DS_Store file for Documents. Start Terminal and execute:
Code:
rm Documents/.DS_Store
killall Finder

Had a go with that too, still to no avail :/

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
I've seen that happen when there are hundreds of files in the folder. I think it runs out of memory or something.

dem466

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I've seen that happen when there are hundreds of files in the folder. I think it runs out of memory or something.

Don't think that's the problem either. I have 7 files in that folder.

Although, the 'Documents' folder does contain a folder I keep all my music recordings in, and there would be hundreds of files within folders beyond that point. But I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.