Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Would you like Apple to release a hybrid MacBook/iPad?

• Yes

Votes: 31 43.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • I'm not sure / I don't know

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
There are several Windows 8 convertible ultrabooks and laptop/tablet hybrids being released. Although people were somewhat skeptical about these products, some of them are turning out to be nice and well designed, and are supposed to get better after Intel Haswell hits the market. I myself thought that these convertible/hybrid laptops, as well as the touch-screen approach of Windows 8, were a really bad idea, until I saw the Microsoft Surface, the Lenovo Yoga and the Dell XPS 12 (this last one on video only) and changed my mind. These designs may not be perfect, but they look promising at least. They are still just a promise at this point, and it is too early to tell if they will be successful and last any longer in the market.

Apple is not taking that route, at least in the near future. Tim Cook even said that a mixture of a laptop and a tablet would be like converging a toaster and a refrigerator (meaning that the result would not be pleasing to use). He also said not to be impressed with Microsoft Surface and called it "confusing". That is true to a certain point, but the fact is that Apple wouldn't be able to deliver a hybrid right now even if Tim Cook wanted it, as its laptops and tablets are equipped with different processor architectures and currenly run different operating systems.

Now, with the news that Apple is indeed thinking of switching to ARM processors in the future, we might see some sort of integration between MacBooks and iPads, and possibly a hybrid MacBook/iPad or a MacBook which converts into an iPad, or something similar. If Windows 8 hybrids become successful, then Apple will have either to follow the trend or to release separate products that are even more appealing than they are right now in order to compensate for the lack of integration.

What do you think? Would you like Apple to release a hybrid MacBook/iPad? Would you consider buying it or would you prefer to have separate products as they are right now?

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Ah man... Apple needs to leave intel architecture and go to ARM... I'd love to have something like the ASUS Transformer where when it's docked I get a more desktop OS look (OS X) and then I pull the screen off and have a total tablet interface (iOS). That would be the best of both worlds, for me at least... and make it look like an Air when docked.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I prefer they stay two separate devices...that way, each device can cater more specifically to the user experience it is supposed to provide. When you start combining two different products, a lot of compromises have to be made and then you get a mediocre experience as opposed to a great experience when the devices were mutually exclusive.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I see no need for the Mac OSX environment, one thing would make ditching the laptop sooooo much easier....a mouse/trackpad!

I for the life of me cannot efficiently navigate excel files without a mouse. It would take me forever to put excel files together as effectively as I do on a computer.

Screen resizing along with multi-tasking would be nice too to copy paste things faster, but not 100% necessary....

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I prefer they stay two separate devices...that way, each device can cater more specifically to the user experience it is supposed to provide. When you start combining two different products, a lot of compromises have to be made and then you get a mediocre experience as opposed to a great experience when the devices were mutually exclusive.

That's why I used to think. All attempts of an hybrid device have always been atrocious. However, after I've seen some of the Windows 8 devices, I am not sure if it holds true anymore. I did not use them for a longer period of time, but some of them seemed to offer an experience that is far from mediocre.

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
That's why I used to think. All attempts of an hybrid device have always been atrocious. However, after I've seen some of the Windows 8 devices, I am not sure if it holds true anymore. I did not use them for a longer period of time, but some of them seemed to offer an experience that is far from mediocre.

I have not used one of the Windows 8 hybrids yet...although, I would like to try one out at work for a couple of weeks if I was able to. However, to do that, I would end up having to buy one with my own money and I don't know if I want to do that. :)

I will probably go mess around with them at Best Buy when they get more in, but you can't tell how well a device will really work without using it in the real world for a couple of weeks (at least that is my experience).

Rhyalus

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2011
Right - the strategy of the Surface device is to cross the barrier between content "production" (where the ipad sucks), and simply consuming in a mobile way (where the ipad excels).

MS is putting a functional Office Suite on a device that can be used either as a tablet or as a "laptop".

The OP is correct.

Whether or not MS can deliver remains to be seen, but Anandtech seems to think it will work....

R

stephewc

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I went shopping this weekend for a new laptop and do agree that the new Windows 8 devices are looking promising. In particular I am interested in the Lenovo Yoga 13. It is basically an Ultrabook with an added touch screen. This idea works really well with the Windows 8 tiles on its main screen since you can simply swipe around instead of using the trackpad/mouse. The applications built into the new Windows are also designed around the use of touch, so that means Icons are large and swipe features are abundant to help with the experience. I will wait until Haswell before I replace my MBP though.

I do not believe OSX in it's current form would benefit from having a touched based screen. Similarly, Windows 7 in it's current form would not work well either since the environment was designed with a mouse in mind. You can imagine the difficulty of trying to navigate around with touch and many tiny icons on the screen.

Imagine if your Macbook was designed around the current iOS environment. Also imagine if your iPad was running OSX. You can begin to see the limitations of both if that were the case. The Macbook running iOS would make productivity difficult since there would be no default file explorer, can't multiple windows at the same time, etc. The iPad with the OSX environment you will have to spend more time and be more careful pressing icons. Closing windows would be a difficult task in itself trying to hit the little red X icon.

Windows 8 is trying to take a new approach by keeping the OS experience (With the tile based screen) on a PC/Laptop computer similar to their mobile/tablet based devices. For the casual users, I think the tile based system works well since it provides easy access to all the more commonly used applications. I know on the PC/Laptop versions of Win8 you can quickly switch to the traditional desktop for the ease of access that most people are accustomed to. With a touch of a button you can switch back to the tiles as well. Since Microsoft is trying to make the experience the same on PCs, Laptops, Convertible Tablet PCs, Tablets and the Windows Phone while not trying to lose the productivity factor that normal/business users require, I think this in itself is quite a feat.

I'm not here to try to promote the Windows 8 here. What I'm really trying to get at is the core of your question and I think it is asking if Apple should redesign their OS into a single operating system. Essentially combining all the great aspects of OSX/iOS into one user friendly OS while still satisfying the casual and power users alike. As noted before, simply swapping a Macbook with iOS or an iPad with OSX would not work out too well because of the limitations of both OS in its current form. Windows 8 was designed from the ground up to run on all types of devices.

If I recall correctly, Apple is known for belittling a competitors ideas and ultimately creating their own similar version. Could be Apple's marketing tactics at work to evade the press/media about any upcoming ideas and then "surprising" everyone when they roll it out. If Windows 8 does take off, I can foresee Apple ultimately creating something similar or at least implementing some of the ideas. Tim Cook could very well be on his way to eating his own words, but they will try to create something "magical" and convince the crowd it is different from Microsoft's way.

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
As said above. Wy not just pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your iPad?

The iPad does not (yet) offer the full experience of a computer. You don't have an open environment where you can move, copy and erase files and folders. You can't do multi-tasking with the iPad. You can't open two programs and place the side-by-side. And, although there are plenty of software available, most of them are very limited in terms of features. You don't have equivalents to Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop in the iPad. There are alternatives, but they lack the full set of features of these programs.

----------

I have not used one of the Windows 8 hybrids yet...although, I would like to try one out at work for a couple of weeks if I was able to. However, to do that, I would end up having to buy one with my own money and I don't know if I want to do that. :)

I will probably go mess around with them at Best Buy when they get more in, but you can't tell how well a device will really work without using it in the real world for a couple of weeks (at least that is my experience).

Well, I guess the best test I can do is wait a few months to see if these devices will catch up or if they will just disappear after all this initial hype. If manufacturers start releasing more of them, it means that people are buying them (which, in turn, means that they work well).

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I've thought a lot about this in the context of the new Windows devices and having an opportunity to try a couple of them out. I think that Microsoft is taking a risk in trying to create a new market where one does not exist both because the existing mobile market is quite mature without Microsoft, and because a hybrid architecture would suit Microsoft's strengths.

That said, I'm not convinced it's going to work. What, exactly, is the benefit of a hybrid laptop? A screen that is large enough to make a good laptop is too big to be a good tablet, and vice-versa. I just don't see the appeal of a converged device.

----------

The iPad does not (yet) offer the full experience of a computer. You don't have an open environment where you can move, copy and erase files and folders. You can't do multi-tasking with the iPad. You can't open two programs and place the side-by-side. And, although there are plenty of software available, most of them are very limited in terms of features. You don't have equivalents to Microsoft Office or Adobe Photoshop in the iPad. There are alternatives, but they lack the full set of features of these programs.

Which is, in turn, a big part of why mobile operating systems were developed in the first place. They do not have the overhead of a complete desktop operating system in terms of maintenance, bugs, codebase (even Windows RT consumes 13GB from the factory), ease of use, etc. A tablet is at its best as an appliance that is always ready to use. There's a reason we don't want Windows running our toaster ovens.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
That said, I'm not convinced it's going to work. What, exactly, is the benefit of a hybrid laptop? A screen that is large enough to make a good laptop is too big to be a good tablet, and vice-versa. I just don't see the appeal of a converged device.

The benefit, for me at least, is the convenience to have both functions in the same device.

When I go to work every day, I have to decide between taking my iPad or my laptop with me. The iPad is more suitable for attending certain meetings, for instance, but it does not allow me the full computing experience. As a result, I often leave my iPad at home and take the laptop, although having both with me would be more convenient.

Something similar happens when I go travelling. The iPad is a much better and more comfortable experience to watch movies in the plane, for instance. But if I have to do some work while travelling, then I need the laptop.

With a convertible, I can have both. I don't have to choose which one to take with me. That's the benefit I see.

----------

iPad just needs a proper file system and microSD slot. Problem solved.

And a better library of software, perhaps? Last time I tried, I couldn't even insert footnotes in a Pages document...

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
The benefit, for me at least, is the convenience to have both functions in the same device.

When I go to work every day, I have to decide between taking my iPad or my laptop with me. The iPad is more suitable for attending certain meetings, for instance, but it does not allow me the full computing experience. As a result, I often leave my iPad at home and take the laptop, although having both with me would be more convenient.

Something similar happens when I go travelling. The iPad is a much better and more comfortable experience to watch movies in the plane, for instance. But if I have to do some work while travelling, then I need the laptop.

With a convertible, I can have both. I don't have to choose which one to take with me. That's the benefit I see.

That's what I'm getting at with the form-factor comments above, though.

Where a 7-10" tablet is convenient for taking to meetings or using on an airplane, a 13 or 14" one in 16:9 format would not be nearly so. When you get back to your hotel in the evening, a 7 or 8" screen is going to be awfully cramped to write your reports on or prepare the next day's presentation.

Merging these two devices would just mean you'd end up with something that's compromised for both scenarios.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Apple will resist the temptation to copy Microsoft's idea of a unified OS and hybrid hardware for one main reason; Apple is making most of its profits from hardware sales. A hybrid would dramatically reduce the number of multiple devices people own.

MS made a brilliant move.

- They beat Apple to the punch with a unified OS.
- They make most of their profit from s/w sales, so they are getting as many devices running their single OS as fast as possible. As a side benefit; the support cost is much lower for a single OS.
- They also knew that their h/w OEMs would not be happy going to a unified hybrid h/w platform because that cuts into their primary profit source (i.e., h/w like Apple); so MS came out with the Surface so Win8 had a guaranteed h/w platform at product launch. The Surface, being a fairly decent h/w device, now forces the h/w OEMs to come up with something very innovative or go out of business. So that ensures MS will have top notch hardware (i.e., better than Apple's current h/w lineup) to further support their Win 8 sales. The Lenovo Yoga and Dell XPS 12 are two examples. 2013 will bring lighter, thinner hybrids.

Brilliant......

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I went shopping this weekend for a new laptop and do agree that the new Windows 8 devices are looking promising. In particular I am interested in the Lenovo Yoga 13. It is basically an Ultrabook with an added touch screen. This idea works really well with the Windows 8 tiles on its main screen since you can simply swipe around instead of using the trackpad/mouse. The applications built into the new Windows are also designed around the use of touch, so that means Icons are large and swipe features are abundant to help with the experience. I will wait until Haswell before I replace my MBP though.

I saw the Lenovo Yoga 13 and it looks great. But it was the video of the Dell XPS 12 that really impressed me. Have you seen it?

Haswell will provide a better experience with these devices. Intel is being seriously threatened by the rise of ARM processors, and it has to strike back. Haswell is being designed with mobile devices in mind, and will be much more energy-efficient, at least according to Intel. But it has to, as it seems to be a requirement for the survival of Intel in the all-new mobile world.

I do not believe OSX in it's current form would benefit from having a touched based screen. Similarly, Windows 7 in it's current form would not work well either since the environment was designed with a mouse in mind. You can imagine the difficulty of trying to navigate around with touch and many tiny icons on the screen.

Well, I guess OS X is currently more suitable than Windows 7 for touch screen. Still, OS X would provide a poor touch experience in its current form. Of course it would have to be redone, or at least adapted.

Imagine if your Macbook was designed around the current iOS environment. Also imagine if your iPad was running OSX. You can begin to see the limitations of both if that were the case. The Macbook running iOS would make productivity difficult since there would be no default file explorer, can't multiple windows at the same time, etc. The iPad with the OSX environment you will have to spend more time and be more careful pressing icons. Closing windows would be a difficult task in itself trying to hit the little red X icon.

That's for sure. And Apple didn't take any radical twist to change the way these OSs work. Both OSs would have to be redesigned to take advantage of a hybrid MacBook/iPad form.

Windows 8 is trying to take a new approach by keeping the OS experience (With the tile based screen) on a PC/Laptop computer similar to their mobile/tablet based devices. For the casual users, I think the tile based system works well since it provides easy access to all the more commonly used applications. I know on the PC/Laptop versions of Win8 you can quickly switch to the traditional desktop for the ease of access that most people are accustomed to. With a touch of a button you can switch back to the tiles as well. Since Microsoft is trying to make the experience the same on PCs, Laptops, Convertible Tablet PCs, Tablets and the Windows Phone while not trying to lose the productivity factor that normal/business users require, I think this in itself is quite a feat.

The Windows 8 experience on a desktop computer is not great, although it is not bad either.

The fact is that this one is a huge shot for Microsoft. Apple has iOS for phones and tablets; Google has Android. Microsoft was not even a contender. Unifying OSs appears to be the only way by which Microsoft could gain ground in the mobile field. If this strategy works, it will be a big win for Microsoft.

And if Microsoft manages to create a single workable platform that can be used on all devices, and which allows productivity to remain at high leves, then it will be a big win for customers too.

I'm not here to try to promote the Windows 8 here. What I'm really trying to get at is the core of your question and I think it is asking if Apple should redesign their OS into a single operating system. Essentially combining all the great aspects of OSX/iOS into one user friendly OS while still satisfying the casual and power users alike. As noted before, simply swapping a Macbook with iOS or an iPad with OSX would not work out too well because of the limitations of both OS in its current form. Windows 8 was designed from the ground up to run on all types of devices.

If I recall correctly, Apple is known for belittling a competitors ideas and ultimately creating their own similar version. Could be Apple's marketing tactics at work to evade the press/media about any upcoming ideas and then "surprising" everyone when they roll it out. If Windows 8 does take off, I can foresee Apple ultimately creating something similar or at least implementing some of the ideas. Tim Cook could very well be on his way to eating his own words, but they will try to create something "magical" and convince the crowd it is different from Microsoft's way.

Yes, that is true. Apple is taking the conservative route here. It is slowly adopting features of iOS on OS X and vice-versa, making these two systems converge. It is also testing ARM processors on the Macs. If Windows 8 and convertibles prove to be a success, then Apple may present its own approach, a desguised copy that, at the eyes of the general public, blinded by all the marketing and wow factor, will have absolutely nothing to do with previously existing devices...

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Apple will resist the temptation to copy Microsoft's idea of a unified OS and hybrid hardware for one main reason; Apple is making most of its profits from hardware sales. A hybrid would dramatically reduce the number of multiple devices people own.

- They make most of their profit from s/w sales, so they are getting as many devices running their single OS as fast as possible. As a side benefit; the support cost is much lower for a single OS.
- They also knew that their h/w OEMs would not be happy going to a unified hybrid h/w platform because that cuts into their primary profit source (i.e., h/w like Apple); so MS came out with the Surface so Win8 had a guaranteed h/w platform at product launch. The Surface, being a fairly decent h/w device, now forces the h/w OEMs to come up with something very innovative or go out of business. So that ensures MS will have top notch hardware (i.e., better than Apple's current h/w lineup) to further support their Win 8 sales. The Lenovo Yoga and Dell XPS 12 are two examples. 2013 will bring lighter, thinner hybrids.

Brilliant......

Yes I totally agree it is brilliant.............in theroy. Lets just see how this all works out in a few years. A brilliant idea is pointless if no one cares because its not excecuted correctly.

I love the idea as another option much like I favor tablets but it has to be done absolutely right.

IMO the Surface misses the mark as it fails at both. Its not ergonomic and versital enough as a tablet and its not powerful enough as a laptop. At this time I see it as an awesome concept brought to market only to serve as a super cool gimmick.

I'll simply keep waiting.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Last time I tried, I couldn't even insert footnotes in a Pages document...

Pages does a great job with footnotes, and as far as I know, Pages is the only app anywhere (iOS or Android) that has fully functioning footnotes. Can you explain what problems you were having? I'll try to help.

This page might help.
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3554?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

As for an MBP or MBA / iPad hybrid, no thanks. I love the iPad just as it is, because I get along wonderfully well with the external keyboard, which is there when I need it, and not there when I don't. However, iOS is pretty weak, and it would be nice to have a lot of the wonderful features of OSX in iOS: a file system, Spotlight, two or more windows open at once, etc. It won't happen anytime soon, so I don't give it a whole lot of thought. If Windows (or Android) ever manages to offer a decent version of this (what Windows promises with its upcoming tablet), then I might change, but I have very low expectations. RT is underwhelming.

MS made a brilliant move.... So that ensures MS will have top notch hardware (i.e., better than Apple's current h/w lineup) to further support their Win 8 sales. The Lenovo Yoga and Dell XPS 12 are two examples. 2013 will bring lighter, thinner hybrids.
Brilliant......

I am so underwhelmed. Even glowing reviews of the Yoga point out that the tablet experience isn't so great. I have no interest in it at all I am afraid. I really think the Surface, iPad + external keyboard, or Asus Transformer are much more interesting. I don't want to compromise my tablet experience.

Last edited:

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil

Yes, it is brilliant. As long as it works out, of course.

If Microsoft's move turns out to be a success, then Apple is the biggest loser here. Several analysts are saying that Microsoft is a "buy" after the release of Windows 8, and that Apple is a "sell" after unveiling their financial results. That may be too premature, but at least it points to some expectations here.

Yes, probably.

Brilliant......

Microsoft is indeed pushing the hybrids market with the release of the Surface. However, it is aware that conventional laptops will continue to exist, so the Windows platform will be the most flexible around.

----------

IMO the Surface misses the mark as it fails at both. Its not ergonomic and versital enough as a tablet and its not powerful enough as a laptop. At this time I see it as an awesome concept brought to market only to serve as a super cool gimmick.

I'll simply keep waiting.

The Surface misses the mark, but the Surface Pro is around the corner. It will feature an Intel processor capable enough of handling laptop tasks. It will have its flaws, but will be closer to what is expected from a hybrid.

----------

Pages does a great job with footnotes, and as far as I know, Pages is the only app anywhere (iOS or Android) that has fully functioning footnotes. Can you explain what problems you were having? I'll try to help.

This page might help.
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH3554?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Well, I guess I should try again then. I've tested Pages a while ago, and it didn't support this feature back then. Thank you for the feedback.

That doesn't solve all my problems with Pages, though. It lacks support for cross-references, and, as far as I am aware of, it is not possible to use a reference manager with Pages for iOS. So, for the level of complexity of the documents I write, I guess the iOS still has a long way to go.

As for an MBP or MBA / iPad hybrid, no thanks. I love the iPad just as it is, because I get along wonderfully well with the external keyboard, which is there when I need it, and not there when I don't. However, iOS is pretty weak, and it would be nice to have a lot of the wonderful features of OSX in iOS: a file system, Spotlight, two or more windows open at once, etc. It won't happen anytime soon, so I don't give it a whole lot of thought. If Windows (or Android) ever manages to offer a decent version of this (what Windows promises with its upcoming tablet), then I might change, but I have very low expectations. RT is underwhelming.

I thought iOS 6 underwhelming. All the new features announced by Apple seemed minor features to me. Android is being developed in a faster rate and, with the release of Windows RT and 8, Apple should put some effort in making iOS better and more feature-rich. Real features, I mean, and not Facebook integration.

stephewc

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I saw the Lenovo Yoga 13 and it looks great. But it was the video of the Dell XPS 12 that really impressed me. Have you seen it?

I stepped into Best Buy for the first time in ages this past weekend simply to check out the Lenovo Yoga. It was a really nice device. Has solid build quality, IPS and touch display, but most importantly it was about 1/2 the weight of my 15" MBP. My work place almost exclusively (minus some legacy Dell laptops that are getting phased out) uses Lenovo laptops so I know they can stand up to the abuse of every day work environments.

I haven't seen the Dell XPS 12 video yet. Do you happen to have a link?

skaertus

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I am so underwhelmed. Even glowing reviews of the Yoga point out that the tablet experience isn't so great. I have no interest in it at all I am afraid. I really think the Surface, iPad + external keyboard, or Asus Transformer are much more interesting. I don't want to compromise my tablet experience.

I am looking forward to see the Dell XPS 12, though. That looks promising... although the tablet turns out to be a little on the heavy side.

----------

I stepped into Best Buy for the first time in ages this past weekend simply to check out the Lenovo Yoga. It was a really nice device. Has solid build quality, IPS and touch display, but most importantly it was about 1/2 the weight of my 15" MBP. My work place almost exclusively (minus some legacy Dell laptops that are getting phased out) uses Lenovo laptops so I know they can stand up to the abuse of every day work environments.

I haven't seen the Dell XPS 12 video yet. Do you happen to have a link?

Look at the Dell XPS 12 video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu-WjxOWRIQ

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
When (notice I didnt say if) it happens it won't be some awful hybrid like surface and RT it will actually be well thought out and intuative ;)

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.

I think the Yoga is an ideal device from an ergo-metric standpoint. My cMBP is a tank (relative), my iPad 3 too heavy to hold comfortably while relaxing in content consumption mode; and the cover does not allow for the perfect viewing angle.

I want simplicity in my computing environment; one device, one OS, no external peripherals (e.g., keyboard).

The Yoga has all the above, and with the 360 degree hinge, I would be able to consume content comfortably in any position (even laying flat on my back in bed with the Yoga on my belly).

yorkslad

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2005
The Surface misses the mark, but the Surface Pro is around the corner. It will feature an Intel processor capable enough of handling laptop tasks. It will have its flaws, but will be closer to what is expected from a hybrid.

Yes but will still be 'Windows' or as I like to think about it 'Mutton dressed as lamb'. Not to mention Pro hardware will be comparable to traditional laptops both in weight and cost. Whilst the planet wants devices to get thinner and lighter, Microsoft misses the point completely and goes for heavy and bigger....duh!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.