Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zyr123

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
i watched the whole video and don't really have much criticism. The only thing I would haved changed for the interviews was not have used the the green screen as much. Also not huge but i'm nit-picking. I know in FCP 7 there is a pan to center option for audio; on the interviews the audio only comes out on the left channel. This will make it come out of the left and right speakers. I saw FCP X in the video so i'm assuming you mostly use that, i'm not familiar with X but i'm sure it has a similar feature.

Your right the sound was on stereo, we did not use dual mono, because the room we played the video in only works with stereo sound.

joshualee90

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
What do you want to do? Do you want to work freelance or full time? If you want to be full time it limits you to broadcasters/post houses. If you want to be on set shooting movies/tv shows you are going to be freelance.

If you go to the broadcaster/post house route go to school, do internships at big places, learn workflows and software. Most broadcasters don't use final cut they use Avid. Go to a school that teaches Avid Media Composer. Most broadcast work is very repetitive office work. Only if few departments will you be able to be really creative but that is the trade off with secure work. You are mainly limited to editing, producing, and directing(live to air or promo work).

If you want to work in film/tv shows as part of crew you need to be freelance. Contact your local union. IATSE , DGA and such. Find what role you would want to play in crew. Ask to see if you can be a production assistant on shoots. While going to school is good you will learn way more on set. Go research different roles of film crews and such. You become a part of a bigger picture and get to help out create something big. The downfall to this career path is it may not be always steady but when you work you work long hard hours and make lots of money.

If you are not sure and are tight on money see if you can become a production assistant and see if that world is for you. Contact Production Managers for work. Talk to lots of people and ask around about their jobs and how they like their career.

If you are still unsure go to school. Have that base knowledge. The best thing you can do is not pigeon hold yourself.

Not to sound grim but have a backup plan in case it doesn't work out. Out of my graduating class only half are working in the field. I graduated last year. I currently work with a broadcaster and do freelance work as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.