Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IKBest

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
San Francisco
iPad 3 or iPad mini?

Since the iPad 3 is refurbished by Apple for $379, I have difficulty choosing between the iPad 3 and the iPad mini, I love the size of the mini but I feel like the pixel density will bother me. Thoughts?

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
My suggestion would be to buy the iPad 3 now. Then wait until after the holiday season to see what happens with the mini. The could release a mini 2 in the spring.

If they do you can sell the iPad 3 and get a mini2.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'd go to the store and take a look. It bothers me, but doesn't bother others.

For me, the display is the whole point of an iPad, and the retina display is the first one on any device that I finally am satisfied using. I truly don't have a single complaint. I definitely wouldn't go back to the pixel density of a 2007 first generation iPod myself, but everyone has their priorities.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I had the same dilemma. After spending a good amount of time with a friends new mini and my roommates iPad 3, I ordered the 16gb refurb. It was because of the screen. It is not that the Mini's screen is not good, it is just that the retina is amazing. It really hit home when I picked up my iPhone 5 to make a call after using the mini for a while.

----------

iPad 3 16GB refurb is out of stock.
They were back in stock earlier today. If I was him, I would keep checking. They have come into and gone out of stock at least 3 times in the last week that I know of.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Why you would buy an iPad mini and have very poor screen quality compared to the iPad 3 or 4. Myself and my wife compared both today using my iPad 3 and my wife said the iPad mini screen is "rubbish".

I compared the iPad 3 to the 4 and cannot see twice the performance not even the Apple Store staff could show me in real life the extra speed.

I would recommend paying a little extra and buy the iPad 4 and don't get hung up on the small amount of dollars extra you have to pay.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Why you would buy an iPad mini and have very poor screen quality compared to the iPad 3 or 4. Myself and my wife compared both today using my iPad 3 and my wife said the iPad mini screen is "rubbish".

I compared the iPad 3 to the 4 and cannot see twice the performance not even the Apple Store staff could show me in real life the extra speed.

I would recommend paying a little extra and buy the iPad 4 and don't get hung up on the small amount of dollars extra you have to pay.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand

BulkyCranium

macrumors member
May 23, 2010
You really needs to take Palpatine's advice and see one for yourself.

I think the form factor and the portability of the Mini is awesome.

I had an original iPad, then a Google Nexus 7. I loved the size of the Nexus 7, but it was always just a bit unfinished. The iPad was great too, but I ended up bringing a macbook air to meetings instead of the iPad, just because of the size.

But for portability and features I think they hit the mark with the mini. I don't have experience with a Retina iPad, but for me the size was the killer feature.

BTW, my eyes are almost 45 now, so Retina on my MBP is great, but when I am out and about without my reading glasses, then I can't tell the difference.

Loyola

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2004
I just got a refurb iPad 3 and I am very happy with it. It is my very first iPad.

Kevin

Bih85

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Ipad mini is great. I have ipad 3 as well. But, I feel like I will be using my mini more. Form factor is great. Resolution doesn't bother me at all. Unless you are blind and you need to keep your ipad two inches in front of your eyes, you will not even notice it.

TahoeDust

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
Unless you are blind and you need to keep your ipad two inches in front of your eyes, you will not even notice it.

That's a ridiculous statement. I am looking at them side by side at a normal using distance and the difference is obvious. You may be able to tollerate the Mini's display, but don't try to tell me most won't notice the difference.

Bih85

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
That's a ridiculous statement. I am looking at them side by side at a normal using distance and the difference is obvious. You may be able to tollerate the Mini's display, but don't try to tell me most won't notice the difference.

For people just looking for their first ipad, they will be fine with resolution. If you are coming from ipad retina, yes you will notice difference.

volodymyrqa

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Kyiv, Ukraine
I'd go to the store and take a look. It bothers me, but doesn't bother others.

For me, the display is the whole point of an iPad, and the retina display is the first one on any device that I finally am satisfied using. I truly don't have a single complaint. I definitely wouldn't go back to the pixel density of a 2007 first generation iPod myself, but everyone has their priorities.

I would prefer comfortable use + normal display over perfect display + heavy device...

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I would prefer comfortable use + normal display over perfect display + heavy device...

This makes sense to me. Everyone has their priorities, and it sounds like you know yourself well. In my case, though I would certainly like a lighter iPad, the iPad 3's weight has never bothered me in the slightest. I find that in my use case, at least, I almost never hold it.

It's propped on my chest in bed when I read at night, the exact same way the Kindle or a paperback would be, so no problems there.

During the day I use a bookstand (I recommend BookGem) to read with it, just as I would with a Kindle or even a paperback (I like to have my hands free to do other things while reading), so no problems there.

I also use the iPad with the Incase Origami Workstation, so no problems there either. And, it slips comfortably into the same man bag I'd be using to carry the iPad Mini. So, the only time I do notice the weight difference is walking around with it, and while every ounce counts, we're only talking about a few of them. I can live with it.

Broadus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
Upstate SC
I just got a refurb iPad 3 and I am very happy with it. It is my very first iPad.

Kevin

Me, too. My refurb 32GB WiFi came in yesterday. I had bought a new 3rd gen. in August but was dissatisfied with the screen. This one is the same model and looks great. Plus, it is $130 less.

IKBest

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
San Francisco
Went to the apple store today, used the iPad mini and I love the size and the way it feels in my hands. Still unsure though :confused:

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012

Why wouldn't you buy a 3 then if its nearly as good as a 4 and then SAVE money? Lord knows people could use some extra money these days....

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
Went to the apple store today, used the iPad mini and I love the size and the way it feels in my hands. Still unsure though :confused:

I played with one for an hour. I left without the mini, tried to purchase an iPad 4 (but it had dust under the screen, and so did the exchange before I decided to just return it altogether :mad: )

My impressions of the mini's screen: I could probably deal without the retina display but left really disappointed with the screen's low color saturation and contrast. That was the deal breaker for me.

Bleak

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2010
What's hilarious is that when the iPad 3 came out everyone was saying that the retina display was very disappointing and that they could barely tell the difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.