Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
All of a sudden I'm really bored of iPhone 5 and bored of waiting for a jailbreak and I'm heavily thinking of selling my 5 and getting a Note II. Convince me why or why not.

My reasons why:

- Nice, big screen
- Speedy Android
- Customization
- Google Maps, Navigation
- Free Google Music streaming

My reasons why not:

- Perhaps slightly worse battery life
- Not as heavily invested into Play as I am into iTunes

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Make a list of the apps you use over a few day span of time. See if any of them have no Android equivalents and yet are necessary. If there are any such apps, don't switch.

If not, wait until the Nexus 4 comes out and see what you think of it - no contract, pure Android, first to be updated... it's compelling, but there's no LTE, which might be a dealbreaker.

Other than that, if the size doesn't bother you, go for it. Android is quite the nice OS now.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Was in the same situation as you. Received iPhone 5 on launch day when I upgraded from my jailbroken iPhone 4. Was bored within 2 weeks and disappointed by the quality control of the hardware. Not knowing when a jailbreak would be released and didn't feel like using stock iOS while waiting for an untethered jailbreak, I returned the phone.

Been going back and forth with the Nexus 4 and Note II and ended up ordering the Note.

The screen, functions, and features look amazing. Battery life should be phenomenal as well. Feels really comfortable in the hand and even though its big, it's not as big as people make it out to be. Play with one at tmobile or sprint to see if you'd like it.

I was always hesitant leaving iOS because of all the apps I've purchased but I just got crazy bored with the software I didn't care anymore. I'd rather have a device I enjoyed than worrying about not being able to use apps I purchased. Its not like you lose your apps, you could always return to an iPhone later on and all your apps will still be there.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
The size is quite attractive to me but the fact that the battery life is great despite the quad core processor is what's most attractive to me. Nexus 4 would be on my list for sure if it had LTE. Maybe I'll end up going with it but it just seems that the Note II offers more.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
The size is quite attractive to me but the fact that the battery life is great despite the quad core processor is what's most attractive to me. Nexus 4 would be on my list for sure if it had LTE. Maybe I'll end up going with it but it just seems that the Note II offers more.

At the cost of $300 more, retail, or a 2 year contract. If that doesn't bother you, Note II is a great choice. I have AT&T and excellent LTE coverage so that made choosing the Note easier.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Note II is probably the only Android phone that can get me to move away from my iPhone.

It's on the expensive side though for an android phone.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I remember when Apple used to be the ones bringing out exciting products like the Note 2, now they have gone stale imo. Sure the ip5 is better then the 4s but Apple are capable of so much more. Ive moved over to android already but i still hope Apple can find its magic again. Also don't give me the old "Apple is selling millions of units" bs, we know they are still selling well but that does not mean they are making the best or most cutting edge products.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
All of a sudden I'm really bored of iPhone 5 and bored of waiting for a jailbreak and I'm heavily thinking of selling my 5 and getting a Note II. Convince me why or why not.

My reasons why:

- Nice, big screen
- Speedy Android
- Customization

My reasons why not:

Battery life is unbelievable. Much better than iphone. I thought great I can now replace as I go, but you don't need to. I am a pretty heavy user and I always had to charge my iphone during the day, I'll have plenty left over with this, a normal user will get through 2 days fine.

----------

Same here...new iphone 5 just doesn't have the WOW factor any longer..thats real change! Samsung Note 2 Friday!!

You won't regret it!

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
I use to think that I would miss the Apple apps before I left the iPhone but I really don't miss them at all. Android has almost all the apps that I used before or have ones that are similar. I have not missed the iPhone at all.
For me, the benefits of switching to the Note out weight the negative and I am very happy with my decision.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009

My reasons why:

- Nice, big screen
- Speedy Android
- Customization

My reasons why not:

Actually the battery life on the note ii is extremely good. Perhaps even better than the iPhone 5. The only phone with better battery really is the RAZR maxx and RAZR Max HD.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL

My reasons why:

- Nice, big screen
- Speedy Android
- Customization

My reasons why not:

The iPhone 5 has a nice screen, just not as big. I had a Galaxy S3 and it was nice, but realized, big is not always better. "Downgraded" to a Razr M with a 4.3" screen and am much happier thanks to the form factor - it's about the size of an iP5. AMOLED is just not as nice imo, esp outdoors.

Speedy android is like speedy iOS. I had a 4S. iOS is still smoother IMO. I had 4.1 jelly bean on my rooted/unlocked S3 and currently on my M. JB is really good though.

Google maps & nav is amazing. My M locks into GPS in about 3 seconds and it's so easy to just pull up directions/nav when driving. Love Gmaps, esp for restaurants with quick reviews to help find somewhere to eat when in a new area.

I uploaded my 24GB library to google music, but I don't use it. It's kind of for backup. I use iTunes still with iSyncr to sync ratings & play counts. =)

Battery life was pretty important to me. S3 had a work day battery, but if I wanted to go out after work have drinks or a late night, my phone would be dead and thus texting buds etc while out was a no go. So keep this in mind, I haven't read Note II battery life stuff. M's battery life is beast. Goes 24 hours easily.

I wouldn't worry about the Play store vs App Store investment. I spent a chunk of money on iOS (luckily my fiancee still has an iPhone so we share app accounts so it's not wasted). I've already bought a fair share of Gplay apps thanks to several sales (.25c sale was so badass). So just wait for sales and you'll get all the apps you want, not to mention the free ones already available.

lympero

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2008
Arta, Greece
I have a 4s and was planning to keep it for at least one more year, but that tiny screen really pisses me off.

I m studying my master and working full time and I want to be able to read during my breaks or on the go. It's impossible with 4s and even 5 as screen is only taller.

Note 2 is the only way! Have to convince my wife as she hates it due to its massive size!

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I've decided to buy a Note II for a variety of reasons. One of which is the consistently strong coverage I've enjoyed year after year with AT&T. What sealed the deal is using the original Note for a few weeks.

It's so useful, that I easily adapted to the size. Much faster than anticipated. Well balanced, easier to hold than my iPad mini, and all the fun of Androids.

For my needs the Note 2 can't be beat. :)

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
My boy also got the Note II and the Battery Life is amazing, we work 12 hour shifts and he had 17% left when we punched out. I just got my Note II today.

iTunes IS the reason my I keep going back to iPhone, iPad & iPod. I was going to get the iPad mini LTE but after a few days with the Wi-Fi I wasn't impressed, not worth it and again I HATE Apple for not including Video playlist! :mad: What's the problem here, why can't they add it?

flounder21

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2008
The South
FYI....64GB Micros SD ordered from best-buy which price matched radio shack $49 sale price good till the 11/10. Ready to pickup Note 2 tomorrow!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011

Haven't done any detailed tests or comparisons but battery life, but mine goes for days at a time with occasional use (mobile internet enabled, checking mail every 15 mins). Plus, the battery is easily interchangeable - there's an optional spare battery and external charger for £30 (UK) so you can keep a spare charged up and ready to go.

[/QUOTE]

The Note isn't going to fit in to your iTunes ecosystem the way an iPhone will. Android may support many more file types and formats than iOS, but beyond that, IMHO, getting media files onto Android is a pain (esp. if you want your iTunes playlists to show up as playlists on the phone) and the basic (and most of the free alternative players) lack features like gapless playback.

Also see the other threads here re. the trials and tribulations of sync/file transfer over USB with this phone. This isn't necessarily an issue if you're thinking of moving to the cloud.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.