Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ntdb

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2012
Atlanta, GA
In nyc you cannot buy a iphone 5 off contract anywhere period. I've made numerous calls and numerous visits. Please stop telling people they can buy phones regularly

Well that's the key. You have to call your local store(s) to find out what their policy is. Here in Atlanta Apple Stores will sell phones device-only if they have stock available. Apparently that's different from the stores in NYC.

Call your local Apple Store to find out if they will sell you a phone device-only. Some will, some will not.

macman312

macrumors 6502
I am from Australia and I want to buy a verizon A129 iPhone 5 as it is the same LTE bands as Australia and it is $150 cheapers.

I have tried to order it online but as I don't have a US address or social or anything it won't work.

I understand that it is possible to ask for a no contract verizon phone at a apple store and they will sell it to you at full retail price without a contract. I assume I'll probably have to ring up in the end about this but I want to pre order one so I can go and pick it up when I arrive (again is this possible???) I am in the US at the end of NOV so I know I need to order it this week or at the latest next week so it will arrive in time as I am assuming the stores won't have any stock and it could be delayed due to SANDY.

Has anyone from OUTSIDE the US/Canada bought a VERIZON iPhone off contract with success?

thanks for any help

macman312

macrumors 6502
Well that's the key. You have to call your local store(s) to find out what their policy is. Here in Atlanta Apple Stores will sell phones device-only if they have stock available. Apparently that's different from the stores in NYC.

Call your local Apple Store to find out if they will sell you a phone device-only. Some will, some will not.

HMMM that's interstring I will give a couple of stores in NY a call. I wonder if best buy has the same policy.

On a side note as I live in Australia and therefore it is expensive and awkward to call (due to time difference would mean I would have to stay up till about 12:30am) can I email the apple stores? I am guessing no

victorbd

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2012
Are you kidding me?

Not only they do not have any more stock, but they do not sell device-only anymore? What's going on with Apple, seriously?

Great, now I'll just have to pay an extra $100 in the black market since my phone died one week ago and can't be contacted anymore.

matiasrmn

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Hi, I will be going to the US shortly, is it still possible to buy a device only iPhone 5 with any carrier in order to use it in South America, lets say unlocked ?

atothek

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
What's the easiest way to get a "device only" one in Atlanta? I've visited one of the stores and they told me to look online between 10PM and 4AM for locked or wait for unlocked. Additionally every time I check (way too often), there is nothing in stock. It's just a phone, I realize, but my 3GS has seen its better days. I've had cables and cases for the iPhone 5 for weeks but still no unlocked model. First world problems!

iTalk

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
ORD
What's the easiest way to get a "device only" one in Atlanta? I've visited one of the stores and they told me to look online between 10PM and 4AM for locked or wait for unlocked. Additionally every time I check (way too often), there is nothing in stock. It's just a phone, I realize, but my 3GS has seen its better days. I've had cables and cases for the iPhone 5 for weeks but still no unlocked model. First world problems!

FYI, they've stopped 'device only' sales for Verizon and Sprint as of today. As long as you have an account, however, you can buy one at full price online or in store (locked, unfortunately).

macman312

macrumors 6502
For anyone that is interested I think you can still get them unlocked at bestbuy

I sent them a email and they sent me the following back (*'s are used for privacy reasons)
the rep gives quite a bit of information.

Dear ******

Thank You for contacting Best Buy Mobile Back Office where we promise to have a better choice of phones and networks, give informed and impartial advice, straight forward pricing and to be there for the life of your phone. My name is *******, and I will be more than happy to answer your question.

Currently, at this time iPhone models sold at Best Buy are locked to the AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon network, and will only function within the U.S.A. with a contract service. Each Best Buy Mobile store has its own discretion to sell the iPhone "without a commitment" meaning that you will pay full retail price for the phone, but will not sign a contract with AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon at the time of purchase. Please contact your local store for their policy on selling no commitment iPhones. Please note that the phone will not be activated when purchased in this way, and will still require activation with an appropriate AT&T, Sprint, or Verizon plan before use.

Hopefully, this has answered all of your questions. If you need additional information feel free to respond to this email, or call Best Buy Mobile 1-877-702-2211, between the hours of 7am - 11pm CT.
Thank you,

I will give them a call....

NickHHarper

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2012
So is there any rumours about Unlocked iPhone 5 will be officially available in future? Or should I spend $850 - $1000 to buy one right now?

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
So is there any rumours about Unlocked iPhone 5 will be officially available in future? Or should I spend $850 - $1000 to buy one right now?

It probably will since the iPhone 4 and 4S were available officially unlocked some time after they went on sale. I assume Apple is waiting until they catch up with demand for the on-contract ones before offering them unlocked in the US.

macman312

macrumors 6502
OK for anyone interested in the A129 model unlocked.
GO to https://preorder.verizonwireless.com/iconic/

select new customer
then device with wireless plan
then up the top select month to month
then select the phone you want
then you will get to the select plan window
again select month-month
select a plan(you can remove it later)
then follow the prompts to the shipping address section
**NON US**

Enter your hotel's address and phone number
then for ID select passport
then for social you need a friends/family members (doesn't matter about the state etc)

I hope that helps anyone that needs it

I have spoken to 2 customer reps on live chat from verizon today.....

The outcome was YES it is unlocked

YES you can remove the plan I am going to double check on that one but it seems you can

If you don't have a US address use the hotels and the hotels phone number

If you don't have a social security number then contact a friend and get them to put theirs in for you

IT SHOULD work the reps I have chatted with were really great

macman312

macrumors 6502

select new customer
again select month-month
**NON US**

then for social you need a friends/family members (doesn't matter about the state etc)

YES you can remove the plan I am going to double check on that one but it seems you can

If you don't have a social security number then contact a friend and get them to put theirs in for you

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
Went into an Apple Store yesterday and bought the AT&T black 16gb iPhone 5 at full price, went home and unlocked it on the computer and then went to T-Mobile to get their new nano sim.

----------

This is 100 percent true. I was in an Apple Store in Las Vegas last week and they wouldn't sell the iPhone 5 without a contract. Today, the one in Raleigh did.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
It is easier to buy at Bestbuy but they charge extra $50. You can give a zip code of the area where you will stay and check up to 20 or so Best buy stores for inventory. I always see a couple of Best buy stores in my area with inventory. But with over a month and a half after release fewer people want to pay $50 extra and Apple should pretty soon start selling iPhone 5 to anyone who has the cash to buy it not just those on AT&T etc. I am on T-mobile here in the US and I too am waiting for Apple to start selling their phone to us.
That said the Nexus 4 release next week is tempting me to also consider other Google's own Nexus devices. One can't wait indefinitely if Apple is unable to sell iPhone 5 due to its supply problems.
HMMM that's interstring I will give a couple of stores in NY a call. I wonder if best buy has the same policy.

On a side note as I live in Australia and therefore it is expensive and awkward to call (due to time difference would mean I would have to stay up till about 12:30am) can I email the apple stores? I am guessing no

Moriartijs

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
So i uderstand this correctly? I can go into apple store or best buy or Verizon store and buy "device only" Verizon iphone 5, without signing any contracts?? This is realy important for me , because one of my friends is going to san francisco this weekend (from europe - Latvija) and i hoped he could buy iphone 5 for me, as i understand all Verizon iphones ar unlocked for use in any gsm network with any sim card.
Thank you!!

macman312

macrumors 6502
So i uderstand this correctly? I can go into apple store or best buy or Verizon store and buy "device only" Verizon iphone 5, without signing any contracts?? This is realy important for me , because one of my friends is going to san francisco this weekend (from europe - Latvija) and i hoped he could buy iphone 5 for me, as i understand all Verizon iphones ar unlocked for use in any gsm network with any sim card.
Thank you!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...ficeSP&sp=-displaydate+skuid&usc=abcat0800000

Select the verizon iphone size/color you want, press check stores, put in the zip code of where your friend is staying and see what it says.....

I "chatted" with a bestbuy rep on their live chat service and he basically couldn't guarantee that they would be in stock and that it would be possible to buy one. I assume you don't live in the US so when your friend arrives I recommend he/she gets on the phone and rings all the best buy stores around where he/she is staying. You might get lucky but make sure he/she asks if they will sell them without the plan

nesine

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012

select new customer
again select month-month
**NON US**

how about the "credit card zipcode" at the last page ? what do you recommend to type in here ?

Virgo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

select new customer
again select month-month
**NON US**

-Is there any fee to cancel the plan?
-How long does shipping take?
-Do they pro-rate the money you spent on the first month if you cancel right away?
-I need the iPhone 5 to use on T-Mobile US, is there an advantage to waiting for the AT&T model instead of going for the Verizon one?

Thanks

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I heard one rumor I guess in macrumors forum and they said that the unlocked models are getting prepared to be selled online and in stores. I cant find the link right now but there was a page from apple.com showing the models and prices.

Well I cant be sure it was real or photoshopped or something else I guess that was right.

I hope Apple will start selling the unlocked phones before christmas and new year so that we can have some nice holiday gifts and hopefully the stock can go up ;)

max5peru

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Peru
they say its unlocked

Hi, I was looking for an iphone 5 at best buy but they say that you cant get an iphone without a contract and that the device comes locked!!!!
any comment?

Attachments

• bestbyuy.JPG
    bestbyuy.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 174

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Hi, I was looking for an iphone 5 at best buy but they say that you cant get an iphone without a contract and that the device comes locked!!!!
any comment?

I bought an AT&T iPhone 5 from Best Buy a month ago, device only. Inserted my Telcel Mexico SIM and it worked.

If for any reason you get on that is locked, you can use unlock:fusion and the end result will be the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.