Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I found a video tutorial on YouTube:
This is not a universal solution. In fact, there is no universal solution. This only works if you have your SHSH blobs for 5.1.1 saved somewhere for your particular phone. If you don't, you're out of luck.

-- Nathan

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Where would these saved files be located at?
They would only be saved if you explicitly saved them, or if you had previously jailbroken your phone and used Cydia.

If you didn't know about these files before and so didn't explicitly make an effort to save them before 6.0 was released, or if you have never jailbroken your phone, then you won't have these files. If you did, then you either should know where you saved the files to, or you can fetch them from Cydia's servers using TinyUmbrella.

-- Nathan

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
They would only be saved if you explicitly saved them, or if you had previously jailbroken your phone and used Cydia.

If you didn't know about these files before and so didn't explicitly make an effort to save them before 6.0 was released, or if you have never jailbroken your phone, then you won't have these files. If you did, then you either should know where you saved the files to, or you can fetch them from Cydia's servers using TinyUmbrella.

-- Nathan

How would I save my iPad 2 blobs using iTunes? I want to save them in case I want to JB my iPad 2. :)

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
How would I save my iPad 2 blobs using iTunes?
You can't. You have to use TinyUmbrella, which I linked to in my previous response. TinyUmbrella allows you to download the blobs for your device from Apple for the current version of iOS, as well as any blobs from past versions that you might have saved on Cydia.

Please note that you can't download the blobs directly from your device for whatever version of iOS it is currently running. So for example, if you are running 5.1.1, and 6.0.1 is the latest version from Apple, and you have never saved your blobs in the past, you can't "rip" copies of the 5.1.1 blobs from your device; the only blobs you can get are the ones that Apple's servers are serving up, which currently are the ones for 6.0.1. That is, you can only download blobs for the latest version from Apple at the point in time that you do the download.

-- Nathan

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
You can't. You have to use TinyUmbrella, which I linked to in my previous response. TinyUmbrella allows you to download the blobs for your device from Apple for the current version of iOS, as well as any blobs from past versions that you might have saved on Cydia.

Please note that you can't download the blobs directly from your device for whatever version of iOS it is currently running. So for example, if you are running 5.1.1, and 6.0.1 is the latest version from Apple, and you have never saved your blobs in the past, you can't "rip" copies of the 5.1.1 blobs from your device; the only blobs you can get are the ones that Apple's servers are serving up, which currently are the ones for 6.0.1. That is, you can only download blobs for the latest version from Apple at the point in time that you do the download.

-- Nathan
Thanks, so I take it, it's too late for the 5.1.1 blobs? Any other sources which might have them or are they only available on Apple servers?

NathanA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Thanks, so I take it, it's too late for the 5.1.1 blobs? Any other sources which might have them or are they only available on Apple servers?
Only Apple knows the "secret sauce" (crypto keys) for making the blobs, so once they stop making them for older iOS versions, it is impossible to get them, and thus impossible to restore back to an older version.

You can't use someone else's blobs because blobs are specific to each phone, based on that phone's serial number. Since they are encrypted, there's no way to modify them.

-- Nathan

kmj523

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
My phone is jailbroken and not updated but people want to downgrade back to ios5 so there has to be a file somewhere

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
What about mermaids animal planet says there real. So they must be right?

Mermaids are real:D

wpid-mermaid11.bmp

Siggen

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
Oslo, Norway
What if you have an A5 device, all blobs saved (iOS 4.x, iOS 5.x and iOS 6.x blobs), and use the restore function in redsn0w to go from 6.x to 4.x to 5.x ?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
What if you have an A5 device, all blobs saved (iOS 4.x, iOS 5.x and iOS 6.x blobs), and use the restore function in redsn0w to go from 6.x to 4.x to 5.x ?

Only for the iPad2 with blobs from 4.x and 5.x

Not for the 4S, once at iOS 6 there is (currently) no going back.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.