Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Closed Thread

Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:13 AM   #1201
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzzzed View Post
On other matters, apparently Clattenburg said "I don't give a monkeys mate, go away".
I've also heard it suggested that a couple of the Chelsea players whose English isn't that great may have misheard him say 'Mikel' and thought he was calling him 'Monkey', a misunderstanding not helped by Clattenburg's north-east accent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
I read this and I know you wrote it with a winking eye, and I do know that Steve McClaren has a history in England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twietee View Post
Steve McLaren is that umbrella-dude, right?
Yep, he started his playing career at Hull City back in the 1970s, and spent the majority of his playing days with us...

Name:  mcclaren.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  13.0 KB

Quote:
I see your avatar did you ever have a Subbuteo set or play the game?
Yep, I had a set and it's up in the attic somewhere. My Jaffatar™ is painted up as per the Hull City strip of the late 1950s - plain amber shirt with a black v-neck. When I started posting on MacRumors a replica of this was my 'lucky shirt' that I'd wear to games, which is why I picked it - that and stripes don't work that well at the small size.

Quote:
Go Twente, Go Twente!
I won a tenner on Twente so I'm quite chuffed with that result as well.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:16 AM   #1202
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Still, I expect he schmiling after the weekends result

In other news...

Luis Suarez is Liverpool's Lionel Messi, says Brendan Rodgers

I can see Messi's lawyers preparing a case for defamation of character as we speak

Last edited by Fizzoid; Nov 5, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Fizzoid is online now   0
Old Nov 5, 2012, 01:13 PM   #1203
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Yep, he started his playing career at Hull City back in the 1970s, and spent the majority of his playing days with us...
What a hilarious photograph. I like the shirt though. The collar makes it slightly rugby-esque but is totally appropriate for the 1970s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzoid View Post
Luis Suarez is Liverpool's Lionel Messi, says Brendan Rodgers

I can see Messi's lawyers preparing a case for defamation of character as we speak
I hate these kinds of comparisons, though I get what Rogers was trying to say. There can only be one Messi though, and even a player as skilled as Suarez pales in comparison.

Last edited by Lord Blackadder; Nov 5, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Lord Blackadder is offline   0
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1204
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Blackadder View Post
What a hilarious photograph. I like the shirt though. The collar makes it slightly rugby-esque but is totally appropriate for the 1970s.
I have a TOFFS replica version in my wardrobe the collar's not quite as big though, so I feel somewhat short-changed.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:03 PM   #1205
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Craig Levein is gone.

Hardly a surprise I think. Where do Scotland go from here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaffa Cake View Post
I have a TOFFS replica version in my wardrobe the collar's not quite as big though, so I feel somewhat short-changed.
Well, you might consider that a bonus.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:44 PM   #1206
pachyderm
macrumors 68030

own a share of REAL OVIEDO!!

for only 11.50 !!

http://www.realoviedo.es/yosoyelreal...les/index.html

i did...

as a new "owner" imma get Jaffa busy designing our new kits...
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:51 PM   #1207
twietee
macrumors 68040

Jaffa could invest the 10 bucks he earned via Twente....hup Jaffa hup
twietee is offline   1
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:30 AM   #1208
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

If you read the papers here today, Ajax believe that they are going to cause another surprise in Manchester tonight.
Of course they forget that telling everyone before hand, it's not going to be a surprise.

I think personally that they are going to lose big, Manchester City is not going to underestimate Ajax again.

FC Twente were only formed in July 1965.
So they don't have a lot of history. They do play "You'll never walk alone" but so do a lot of clubs here, it became famous during the Liverpool years of the early 1980's.
Another song played at every match in recent years is "More than a feeling".

"FC Twente ay, ay, ay, ay" is the official song from 1968, I really doubt if anybody knows the words any more.

For the beker matches "Trots da'w veur Twente bint!" and "Heya de Keu" these are in the local dialect and are not easily understood outside the region.

One Question for the US readers do your Major Soccer League teams have 'Cheerleaders" like the other sports in America?

Last edited by Happybunny; Nov 6, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Happybunny is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:46 AM   #1209
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I hate these kinds of comparisons, though I get what Rogers was trying to say. There can only be one Messi though, and even a player as skilled as Suarez pales in comparison.
I know what he's trying to say in that Suarez is the key playmaker in Liverpool's team. The problem is of course, is that Barca can bring someone off the bench to replace Messi, and that person would probably be playing first team football anywhere else, where as Liverpool cannot say the same.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:26 AM   #1210
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
"FC Twente ay, ay, ay, ay"

"Trots da'w veur Twente bint!"

"Heya de Keu"
What do you think about Hup Twente Hup?
It has the big advantage that I know how to pronounce it, which is a nice bonus

And about todays big losses: Can't help it, but I think the BVB will receive quite a bunch of goals this time in Madrid. Maybe 4:1? But I think also that nobody at Dortmund spoilt the surprise up to now, so it'll be fine probably.
twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:45 AM   #1211
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizzoid View Post
I know what he's trying to say in that Suarez is the key playmaker in Liverpool's team. The problem is of course, is that Barca can bring someone off the bench to replace Messi, and that person would probably be playing first team football anywhere else, where as Liverpool cannot say the same.
The bench? Barca could bring a player out of their academy and he'd be playing first-team football anywhere else. Their squad depth is astounding, even though they rotate less than most clubs.

Comparisons often hurt players more than help them. How many times have we heard of the next Pele? And how many times has it proven true?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1212
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
The bench? Barca could bring a player out of their academy and he'd be playing first-team football anywhere else. Their squad depth is astounding, even though they rotate less than most clubs.
And I always thought they rotate pretty much often. Didn't they even play with a C-team last year against some east-european contender in their CL group?
Maybe it's just the German perspevtive, but looking at Bayern Munich: they hardly rotate and since Van Gaal there is almost never a substitute outside the 14-15 'regular' players.

Anyone here can imagine Suarez playing at Barca though? Because I perfectly can. (Lucky for you they don't need him as they just pull one out of the blue / La Masia)
twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:09 AM   #1213
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

Talking of benches, has anyone seen or heard of Scott Sinclair since his dream move to Man City?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:25 AM   #1214
twietee
macrumors 68040

Buried in oblivion. But I'm surprised about Rodwell though. He got more minutes than I expected.
twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1215
Fizzoid
macrumors 68000

A little factoid that I came across recently, that made me chuckle. Demba Ba is apparently Sunderland's second highest goal scorer, and was their highest scorer in October
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:54 AM   #1216
twietee
macrumors 68040

Enjoyed that factoid fizzoid! Huge OBasi fan over here.

That combination was called offside....how dare the official!

twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:39 PM   #1217
Lord Blackadder
macrumors G4

Quote:
And I always thought they rotate pretty much often. Didn't they even play with a C-team last year against some east-european contender in their CL group?
I think they've had some injury problems lately, especially in defense, and have been forced to move players around a bit. But I don't think their squad is very big, given how dominant they are.

I think Suarez would not look out of place at Barcelona. Also, people would forget about his diving since Sergio Busquets is even worse.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:42 PM   #1218
takao
macrumors 68040

Send a message via ICQ to takao
Quote:
And about todays big losses: Can't help it, but I think the BVB will receive quite a bunch of goals this time in Madrid. Maybe 4:1? But I think also that nobody at Dortmund spoilt the surprise up to now, so it'll be fine probably.
well your prediction didn't make it to the half time brake
with Real : Dortmund 1:2

both Dortmund goals have had very similiar setups: long ball from defender to lewandowskis head who nods it to one of the fast midfielders running past the real defenders who got caught high up the field

if Mourihno doesn't make some tactical adjustments i think we will se more of those counter attacks in the second half
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:48 PM   #1219
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by takao View Post
well your prediction didn't make it to the half time brake

yeah, not really a surprise
twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:40 PM   #1220
daneoni
macrumors G4

*sigh* predictable. We are too weak.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:40 PM   #1221
Happybunny
macrumors 65816

Manchester City 2 Ajax 2 colour me surprised
Happybunny is offline   0
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:42 PM   #1222
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Psst! We beat Wolves tonight, but don't go making a fuss of it OllyW has ban privileges these days!
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:57 PM   #1223
twietee
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Psst! We beat Wolves tonight, but don't go making a fuss of it OllyW has ban privileges these days!
Who? - Happybunny should be extra careful then. He's Dutch.
twietee is offline   0
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:22 AM   #1224
OllyW

Quote:
I've gone right off football.
OllyW is offline   1
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:41 AM   #1225
twietee
macrumors 68040

Has anyone here a sound explanation why ManCity constantly sucks big time in CL? Is it the climate?
twietee is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion