Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
LTE service on AT&T is much more dependable than 3G/hspa+ service. Just stating that cause the comparison about LTE seems to only be about speed. Ofcourse I'm talking about places with LTE coverage.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Awesome discounts! I am glad you were able to make a decision. I am still having trouble.

I used to think I couldn't deal with touchwiz but its really not that bad. Also the development community I believe will be strong for this device just like it is for the S3. So I could be CM10 on if I start to hate touchwiz. I also believed that the size was outrageous. After trying it in the store it is not that bad either. Holding it up to my ear does seem a bit rediculous though. Did you do that test?

Also, I went and played with an LG Optimus G today. Surprisingly, its width made the phone very awkward and uncomfortable. I am pretty sure the Nexus has that same width. It makes no sense but the Note actually felt better in hand. I am going to try them both at t mobile next week.

On top of that I still have an interest in the HTC One X plus and HTC DNA because of the design and amazing screens that they have. What is a guy to do with all of these first world problems?!

Forgot about placing the phone up to my ear although I don't think that'll be a problem. It's a large phone, not a Nexus 7 or iPad mini you're holding up to your ear, so not worried about how it might look. I do use the speaker often as well and speaker quality had good reviews.

I didn't get the play with the Optimus G but the 768 screen ratio vs 720 probably played a factor. Samsung uses plastic but they did a really good job curving the edges to fit in your hand nicely.

HTC One X+ was third on my list of phones behind the Note and Nexus but HTC was taking to long to make an announcement of any kind regarding release. Didn't feel like waiting any longer. I played with the One X in the store and definitely loved the screen. Also 1gb of ram was kind of dissapointing when all the newer releases are now coming with 2 gigs.

HTC DNA looks like a Verizon exclusive so wasn't an option for me.

In the end, LTE, expandable storage, removable battery, larger display, unique features and functions, and getting the phone at a great price were the deciding factors.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Forgot about placing the phone up to my ear although I don't think that'll be a problem. It's a large phone, not a Nexus 7 or iPad mini you're holding up to your ear, so not worried about how it might look. I do use the speaker often as well and speaker quality had good reviews.

I didn't get the play with the Optimus G but the 768 screen ratio vs 720 probably played a factor. Samsung uses plastic but they did a really good job curving the edges to fit in your hand nicely.

HTC One X+ was third on my list of phones behind the Note and Nexus but HTC was taking to long to make an announcement of any kind regarding release. Didn't feel like waiting any longer. I played with the One X in the store and definitely loved the screen. Also 1gb of ram was kind of dissapointing when all the newer releases are now coming with 2 gigs.

HTC DNA looks like a Verizon exclusive so wasn't an option for me.

In the end, LTE, expandable storage, removable battery, larger display, unique features and functions, and getting the phone at a great price were the deciding factors.

Thanks for the opinions. Also that titanium grey color is really nice too.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Yes, the titanium grey looks amazing. :D

galaxy-note-2-review.jpg

P1010435.JPG

princetanha

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Guys when I first saw the announcment of this device I was like LOL who will buy such idiot device !? Its really big and not handy .. but when I used it , I changed my mind totally ... this device is NOT a joke !! a real powerhouse ! 2 times faster and smoother than the S3 and the battery lasts forever ! ( I was suffering from my iPhone's battery life ) I never ever used such device with this battery life , the giant 3100 mA battery makes everything easy ! The screen is just amazing , I used alot of android devices before but Lag&Batterylife were my issues , these issues doesn't exist anymore with Note2 .. Samsung is not a joke anymore .. apple wake up !!

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007

Nice!! Do you know what they are using to get all of those lock screen shortcuts?

I can't lie, this is growing on me slowly.

Edit: I don't think that is the lock screen. Looks like a launcher.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006

galaxy-note-2-review.jpg

P1010435.JPG

Absurd questions but....Is that where the phone sits in your hand as your texting? If not could you take a picture where it sits. And....would you say you have small/average/large hands? I still haven't been able to go look at one of these yet.

Lastly, how did you get it...I thought it didnt come out until friday?

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Absurd questions but....Is that where the phone sits in your hand as your texting? If not could you take a picture where it sits. And....would you say you have small/average/large hands? I still haven't been able to go look at one of these yet.

Lastly, how did you get it...I thought it didnt come out until friday?

Found these photos online to show the titanium grey. Waiting for my AT&T version like everyone else. :)

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-and-verizon-hooking-nov-13-nyc

Droid DNA will probably be announced Next Tuesday. Dammit. I can't make decisions already. I'm thinking this may be better for me than the note 2 because of the 1080P LCD screen and the smaller size. 5 inches vs 5.5

I'm assuming you're on or staying with Verizon? If so, you still have some time to decide since the Note II won't be out until the end of the month anyway. 5" screens sounds more manaeable and 1080p is just crazy. But what features will the device have? How will you be using your phone? I just find the pen and features on the Note II to be very useful for work and play.

I wouldn't decide on specs alone since there should be plenty of 1080p screens coming out next year.

Throw in the nexus 4 with price, contract free, LG IPS display, pure android and I'm sure you're back at square one. lol.

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-and-verizon-hooking-nov-13-nyc

Droid DNA will probably be announced Next Tuesday. Dammit. I can't make decisions already. I'm thinking this may be better for me than the note 2 because of the 1080P LCD screen and the smaller size. 5 inches vs 5.5

You really can't see the difference between a 720p and 1080p on a screen that small. Plus the video will take up more space on the phone and be more hardware resource intesnsive.
And who knows what features it will have?
Guess it's up to whether you can wait that long or not.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'm assuming you're on or staying with Verizon? If so, you still have some time to decide since the Note II won't be out until the end of the month anyway. 5" screens sounds more manaeable and 1080p is just crazy. But what features will the device have? How will you be using your phone? I just find the pen and features on the Note II to be very useful for work and play.

I wouldn't decide on specs alone since there should be plenty of 1080p screens coming out next year.

Throw in the nexus 4 with price, contract free, LG IPS display, pure android and I'm sure you're back at square one. lol.

Haha, sigh. I go back and forth each day. I think I am going to do the smart thing and not buy anything out of impulse. I want to try each in the hand. Oh, and BTW I am with AT&T. My contract ends in December so the HTC DNA will have to be REALLY amazing for me to break my contract or wait until it expires and switch to Verizon.

As far as using my phone I don't know if I would actually use the S-Pen much considering I type on my phone much faster than I could write. I do like touchwiz more than sense UI as well.

----------

You really can't see the difference between a 720p and 1080p on a screen that small. Plus the video will take up more space on the phone and be more hardware resource intesnsive.
And who knows what features it will have?
Guess it's up to whether you can wait that long or not.

Yeah, I have read that you can't tell the difference in some places but you can in others like in text. Battery life on the Note 2 is stellar so it would be hard for HTC to match that with only a 2100 or 2500 mAh battery.

I am a big screen buff though and the HTC I already know will look better IMO than the Note 2. LCD vs AMOLED.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Haha, sigh. I go back and forth each day. I think I am going to do the smart thing and not buy anything out of impulse. I want to try each in the hand. Oh, and BTW I am with AT&T. My contract ends in December so the HTC DNA will have to be REALLY amazing for me to break my contract or wait until it expires and switch to Verizon.

I'd wait until the Nexus shows up at T-Mobile, then play around with that phone and the Note at the same time.

Of your 3 choices, it'd be the Note and Nexus as 1a and 1b with the DNA in second place. Do you have grandfathered unlimited data? It'd be easier switching carriers if you didn't. If you did, I wouldn't give it up to easily.

If you decide on the Note, call AT&T cancelation dept and tell them you plan on switching to Verizon, maybe they can offer you some credit/discount to help with the upgrade. If you purchase the Nexus outright, you'll have an upgrade to burn next year on plenty of quad core, 5" ish 1080p screens that will probably be out by then and at the same time, enjoy your pure android nexus.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I'd wait until the Nexus shows up at T-Mobile, then play around with that phone and the Note at the same time.

Of your 3 choices, it'd be the Note and Nexus as 1a and 1b with the DNA in second place. Do you have grandfathered unlimited data? It'd be easier switching carriers if you didn't. If you did, I wouldn't give it up to easily.

If you decide on the Note, call AT&T cancelation dept and tell them you plan on switching to Verizon, maybe they can offer you some credit/discount to help with the upgrade. If you purchase the Nexus outright, you'll have an upgrade to burn next year on plenty of quad core, 5" ish 1080p screens that will probably be out by then and at the same time, enjoy your pure android nexus.

That is exactly what I was going to do. Next Wednesday I have already planned to spend my lunch break at T-Mobile using both the Nexus and the Note II.

No unlimited data, lost that when I switched to Android back in the first Evo days. If I get the Nexus it will definitely be from Google.

I guess it comes down to if I can deal with the size of the Note II and the Touchwiz and the 2 year contract. vs A smaller size, pure android, no contract.

Here is one big thing for me. I really love Best Buy insurance. 9.99/month with no deductible and no limits on replacements. That peace of mind is amazing. I can't get that with the Nexus. Touchwiz isn't THAT bad...it is a little huge. ugh..Thanks for the advice BTW.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
That is exactly what I was going to do. Next Wednesday I have already planned to spend my lunch break at T-Mobile using both the Nexus and the Note II.

No unlimited data, lost that when I switched to Android back in the first Evo days. If I get the Nexus it will definitely be from Google.

I guess it comes down to if I can deal with the size of the Note II and the Touchwiz and the 2 year contract. vs A smaller size, pure android, no contract.

Here is one big thing for me. I really love Best Buy insurance. 9.99/month with no deductible and no limits on replacements. That peace of mind is amazing. I can't get that with the Nexus. Touchwiz isn't THAT bad...it is a little huge. ugh..Thanks for the advice BTW.

I am in the same exact boat as you

Note II- on contract- not sure if i want a phone that big- LTE
Nexus 4- from google- no contract- HSPA+

still very unsure.

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
I am in the same exact boat as you

Note II- on contract- not sure if i want a phone that big- LTE
Nexus 4- from google- no contract- HSPA+

still very unsure.

It's a rough life we live huh? ;)

I think getting them both in the hand will probably make a big difference for me. I will compare the screens even thought the Nexus should be much better quality. The size of the screen on the N2 would be great since I do ALL my browsing pretty much exclusively on my 3.5 inch iPhone now. :eek: But isn't 4.7 inches enough if I were to get the Nexus?

Pure google and fast updates are extremely tempting and how it should be but I think I could be fine with touchwiz. Maybe. There will no doubt be a strong developer community for the N2 so I could root/flash if I really needed to. I told myself I wasn't going to do into all of that jailbreaking/rooting flashing mess again though.

I would use the wireless charging on the the Nexus. I would use it a whole lot actually.

Since I am on wifi nearly all day long LTE shouldn't matter but I still kind of want it.

2 years is a long time when you think about it but should I really be buying phones every year? Probably not. Then again if I can sell the Nexus for around $200 then I am only spending around $150 each year.

Last edited:

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
It's a rough life we live huh? ;)

I think getting them both in the hand will probably make a big difference for me. I will compare the screens even thought the Nexus should be much better quality. The size of the screen on the N2 would be great since I do ALL my browsing pretty much exclusively on my 3.5 inch iPhone now. :eek: But isn't 4.7 inches enough if I were to get the Nexus?

Pure google and fast updates are extremely tempting and how it should be but I think I could be fine with touchwiz. Maybe. There will no doubt be a strong developer community for the N2 so I could root/flash if I really needed to. I told myself I wasn't going to do into all of that jailbreaking/rooting flashing mess again though.

I would use the wireless charging on the the Nexus. I would use it a whole lot actually.

Since I am on wifi nearly all day long LTE shouldn't matter but I still kind of want it.

2 years is a long time when you think about it but should I really be buying phones every year? Probably not. Then again if I can sell the Nexus for around $200 then I am only spending around $150 each year.

I just went to T-Mobile to hold the Note II. I think I am sold. I spend a lot of time browsing on my phone...and I am not at the point yet where I feel I need a laptop, smartphone and tablet...ill upload the picture in 2 minutes showing you the size of "the beast" in my hand.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
Here is the picture. I would consider my hands average in size and I can reach horizontally across the entire phone and with a little stretch I can reach the status bar without too much effort. My bigger concern isn't how the phone fits in my hand rather in my clothing.

edit: picture uploaded with the correct orientation, dont know why its turned 90*

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 198
Last edited:

THE JUICEMAN

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Here is the picture. I would consider my hands average in size and I can right horizontally across the entire phone and with a little stretch I can reach the status bar without too much effort. My bigger concern isn't how the phone fits in my hand rather in my clothing.

edit: picture uploaded with the correct orientation, dont know why its turned 90*

Thanks for the thoughts and the pic!

Just went to the mall and used it. I'm starting to fall for her! Not super big and fit in the pocket fine.

Last edited:

OceanView

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2005
Here is the picture. I would consider my hands average in size and I can right horizontally across the entire phone and with a little stretch I can reach the status bar without too much effort. My bigger concern isn't how the phone fits in my hand rather in my clothing.

Yes, the phone is not as big as you think.
If you play around with it, you will realize it's really a great size that can replace an iPhone and an iPad when you're on the go.

Been happy with my Note and cannot imagine going back to a smaller phone.

dvrmstrng

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2006
If you play around with it, you will realize it's really a great size that can replace an iPhone and an iPad when you're on the go.

My biggest concern is how it fits into clothing..nothing more.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I went to the note 2 from iphone (fan since 1st g touch then 3g iphone) purely on my mates review (hes in nz im in europe) when I first saw the original note I thought no way, what a ridiculous size etc. Etc. But now that I've had this for about a month now I have the same feeling but in the opposite for the iphone. Id recommend this phone to anyone now, the size is not an issue at all it fits in my jeans no problem, don't even notice it. To all the fanboys ridiculing it, just remember,

Think different.

----------

My biggest concern is how it fits into clothing..nothing more.

I notice it less in my jeans than my iphone 3g. Not an issue, wouldn't put it in my jacket hand pocket tho. Just depends on where you store it and your clothes, but it is alot smaller than what you Prob imagine it is.

----------

Bingo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.