Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SimonMW

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2008
Two gripes I have with the faster OS release schedule:

- Doesn't give the current OS time to truly mature and get rid of all niggles.
- Makes hardware obsolete more quickly as they drop support for hardware of a certain age, even though it is perfectly capable of running it.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
365qvh.jpg

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Puma reloaded? I'm still betting on OSXi.

I've always wondered why people with early access to a new OSX would need to go to 9to5mac for Apple rumors.

Maybe they'll reuse the cat names but call it something other than "OS X". Mac OS is a way better name than OS X.

OS X: Which OS are you running? The tenth OS... by which company?
Mac OS: Which OS are you running? The Mac OS, OK.

I'm not saying that they should go to Mac OS and recycle cat names, but maybe they'll come up with a new name that's better than OS X. Maybe iOS? Or just Mac?

----------

Two gripes I have with the faster OS release schedule:

- Doesn't give the current OS time to truly mature and get rid of all niggles.
- Makes hardware obsolete more quickly as they drop support for hardware of a certain age, even though it is perfectly capable of running it.

I don't know about the second point. 10.8 (2012) runs on 2007-2009 Macs. 10.7 (2010) runs on 2006 Macs. 10.6 (2008) runs on 2006 Macs.

If I am correct about these dates, since Snow Leopard, OS X has been stagnating on support for older Macs or has been getting better (relative to the release date of the OS). But of course, they would stay compatible for a longer period of time if no OS updates at all were issued.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Me too. And if they don’t make “Save As” work the way it used to, I probably always will be.

I am too, but didn't they merely rename "Save As" to "Duplicate"? My main issue is that Rosetta is gone, and I NEED IT.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
Unless Apple intends for applications like Adobe CS6, Final Cut, etc. to stop working over night, this is not happening. Many pro users depend on these to make a living.

And, I assume Pro users also depend on Pro machines, which Apple stopped producing. So, yes, it is likely they will restrict apps to the App Store.

:apple:

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
10.9:

- Siri
- Full Screen Apps on Dual Screens (one app per screen)
- unified UI (fixing contacts, notes and calendar obviously)
- UI evolution - perhaps a slight move away from such a bevelled look to a cleaner look.

Bregalad

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Vancouver
I think Notification Centre needs more options. Only ~5% of my email ever shows up there because I have a long set of Mail rules to sort incoming messages into folders. Sorted messages don't appear.

I don't really find it useful for most other apps because I cannot customize the notifications by app, subject, person or anything really. With Growl I could see in my peripheral vision whether a notice was a meeting request, a message from a co-worker or just something from Twitter. Important events were assigned custom sounds so I didn't even need to look to know what they were. In Notification Center everything looks more or less the same and, as noted earlier, most of my email never even shows up.

Another feature that's been driving me crazy is trying to move windows to another desktop. Back in Spaces I could drag a window to the edge of the screen and you'd switch to that space. Now I have to open the Mission Control view, try to locate the miniaturized window I was trying to move, drag it to the new desktop and then switch to that desktop. I also really liked the physical layout of the different spaces. They had a location not just a number.

I'm quite sure the unnecessary skeuomorphism will be gone from things like Calendar and Contacts. Hopefully usability will also be improved and not just the look.

Hopefully iCloud will gain sharing capabilities. The automatic syncing is really great, but there are things I want to have automatically synced with my wife's computer. Having different Apple IDs makes that a cumbersome manual process.

On the same theme I'm hoping Apple figures out collaboration through iCloud or some similar mechanism. A smart combination of Dropbox and GoogleDocs should be possible, but Apple currently shows no signs that they want to address that market.

The sandbox and versioning system that locks documents to a single application needs rethinking too. Having basic text documents that you can't even see from an iPad is ridiculous. iPhoto offers "edit in an external editor" so it's clear that at least one person at Apple knows that files are sometimes opened by other apps.

I'd like to see more options for colour icons and such too. Give us the ability to make things quicker and easier to use.

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Another feature that's been driving me crazy is trying to move windows to another desktop. Back in Spaces I could drag a window to the edge of the screen and you'd switch to that space. Now I have to open the Mission Control view, try to locate the miniaturized window I was trying to move, drag it to the new desktop and then switch to that desktop. I also really liked the physical layout of the different spaces. They had a location not just a number.

you Can drag windows from space to space.

click and hold a window, drag it to the edge of the space you want it to switch to, hold it there for a moment, and boom it moves the window to the next space.

you have to hold it for a moment to avoid accidental dragging so easily.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
you Can drag windows from space to space.

click and hold a window, drag it to the edge of the space you want it to switch to, hold it there for a moment, and boom it moves the window to the next space.

you have to hold it for a moment to avoid accidental dragging so easily.

On this topic, with a dual screen set up, I would really like to be able to drag an app and its windows in mission control from the left display to the right display on another desktop.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
As in NO MORE iOSification, please? Thank you.

Why? All of the iOS features they've added have just been better versions of stuff that already existed for Mac OS, first or third party. And many of the iOS features originated from PCs anyway.

Would you complain if your Mac had Growl, a notification background app, on it?

----------

Oh yes, OS X DSH - does have a certain ring to it. Windows RT? We can play the random acronym game too!

I think "RT" stands for "Random Task", Dr. Evil's assassin who throws shoes at people.

----------

Mac OS X Ocelot

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Why? All of the iOS features they've added have just been better versions of stuff that already existed for Mac OS, first or third party. And many of the iOS features originated from PCs anyway.

Would you complain if your Mac had Growl, a notification background app, on it?

----------

I think "RT" stands for "Random Task", Dr. Evil's assassin who throws shoes at people.

----------

Mac OS X Ocelot

Windows - Really Terrible (R) version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.