Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
yup, $329 is very attractive price for an iPad.

Really, the iPad 4 feels tired and old compared to the iPad Mini. I almost feel bad for it. It looks like we know how many of those 3 million "iPads" sold were iPad 4s. Not many.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I think you'll see the iPad Mini becoming Apples #2 product over the iPad.

It's just a better size/form factor for those that want a portable device that can do the majority of what they want.

The iPad will fall into the home/office/vacation device that replaces the PC in those places for those individuals.

When the Mini gets Retina...look out.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Really, the iPad 4 feels tired and old compared to the iPad Mini. I almost feel bad for it. It looks like we know how many of those 3 million "iPads" sold were iPad 4s. Not many.
Exactly. This is why the next full size iPad release should be in March. They tried to put lipstick on a pig (with a new processor and connector) but it's still the same overweight, overheating behemoth from March.

I just played with the 4 and the mini in store. The mini's display is abysmal but its form factor is superb: The finish on the back felt great to hold. If anything it emphasizes how much heavier and outdated the 4 felt. Holiday shoppers aren't going to buy the 4 because of "better internals" Apple will limp into March with this product.

:cool:

fewlio

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2010
Exactly. This is why the next full size iPad release should be in March. They tried to put lipstick on a pig (with a new processor and connector) but it's still the same overweight, overheating behemoth from March.

I just played with the 4 and the mini in store. The mini's display is abysmal but its form factor is superb: The finish on the back felt great to hold. If anything it emphasizes how much heavier and outdated the 4 felt. Holiday shoppers aren't going to buy the 4 because of "better internals" Apple will limp into March with this product.

:cool:

Is the iPad 4th gen still really warm exactly like the 3rd? That was my biggest problem with the 3rd..

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I just came back from the Apple store, and boy was it crowded!

First I checked out the iPod Touch, then the iPad 4, then the iPad Mini.

I'd really like to get a 5th gen iPod Touch to replace my battery failing 3rd gen. But the idea of plunking down over $400 for a 64GB model makes me hesitate. Apple REALLY charges TOO MUCH for it's memory. Still the Touch is very attractive, has that great sharp Retina display, great cameras, is light and handy.

The iPad 4 was next. As I reached for it my hand could already sense the heat emmanating from its toasty innards. The beast IS really much faster than the iPad 3. And I couldn't detect any trace of the yellow tinge reported by others. But of course this was a display model.

Then there is the iPad Mini. At last I was able to actually try one out. I was very pleased with it, overall. The size and weight are perfect and it has stereo speakers. What really sold me though, was the fact that I could tuck the iPad Mini into my jacket pocket. Oh happy day! The only downer was the somewhat inferior screen. It's good and quite serviceable, mind you, but it just doesn't pop with sharpness and brilliance like the Retina screen does. However since the processor doesn't have to contend with extra graphics duties, it doesn't hang or stutter at routine tasks as the iPad 3 does.

So I'm stuck on the horns of a dilemma - what to buy. I didn't expect it to be the case, but I'm seriously considering buying the iPad Mini. It's portable, light and large enough to read books comfortably.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
...and sneak out without paying. - Oh really?
It's really unethical to misquote someone and imply that they would commit a crime.

Gosh, what did I ever do to you? :(

Anyone who ever visited an Apple store knows that they've got everything that's expensive tied down anyway.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
It isn't a marketing ploy, it is called physics. I'm going to introduce you to a few concepts that you might not be familiar with so see if you can follow along. Making new products takes "time". You don't just place an order for millions of complicated devices and get them constructed over a weekend. Also you can only start making the new product after you have fully designed and tested the prototypes. So "time" before completing the design and testing can't be used for making the product.
When a new product is introduced, customers have not yet acquired it. So there is this thing called "demand", which in the case of Apple often peaks right at the introduction because it is at that point that the highest number of customers who do not have the product exist. As the product is delivered to customers, demand is satisfied. So demand decreases as the products are delivered.
Also, while the product is being delivered Apple gets more "time". Apple uses this time to make new products.
Eventually equilibrium is reached as demand starts matching the time Apple has to have more of the product made.

The only way for Apple to have on hand enough product to satisfy the initial surge of demand is to hold off on announcing and selling the product. Apple could then get more time. Apple could have made iPad Minis for two months and secretly stockpiled them (with many invariably slipping out). But that would have just allowed Amazon, Google, and Microsoft more time to play in the mini tablet space without an Apple competitor. That would have been a terrible strategic decision.

There are only so many factories in China with so many workers that are capable of making these machines and all the various components. You also can't, at this point, just increase the number of factories devoted to a product for a couple of weeks. Configuring a factory (and training employees) to make a product like this takes time and money. The factory needs to stay devoted to the same product for a significant period of time to spread those costs out in an economic fashion.

What you are saying boils down to Apple doing what it does in order to maximize total profits. I don think that we disagree much.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Is the iPad 4th gen still really warm exactly like the 3rd? That was my biggest problem with the 3rd..
Since I don't own one I can't say for certain, but the reviews I read said it still does heat up. Which makes sense since the display and battery are exactly the same.

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Perfect..

It isn't a marketing ploy, it is called physics. I'm going to introduce you to a few concepts that you might not be familiar with so see if you can follow along. Making new products takes "time". You don't just place an order for millions of complicated devices and get them constructed over a weekend. Also you can only start making the new product after you have fully designed and tested the prototypes. So "time" before completing the design and testing can't be used for making the product.
When a new product is introduced, customers have not yet acquired it. So there is this thing called "demand", which in the case of Apple often peaks right at the introduction because it is at that point that the highest number of customers who do not have the product exist. As the product is delivered to customers, demand is satisfied. So demand decreases as the products are delivered.
Also, while the product is being delivered Apple gets more "time". Apple uses this time to make new products.
Eventually equilibrium is reached as demand starts matching the time Apple has to have more of the product made.

The only way for Apple to have on hand enough product to satisfy the initial surge of demand is to hold off on announcing and selling the product. Apple could then get more time. Apple could have made iPad Minis for two months and secretly stockpiled them (with many invariably slipping out). But that would have just allowed Amazon, Google, and Microsoft more time to play in the mini tablet space without an Apple competitor. That would have been a terrible strategic decision.

There are only so many factories in China with so many workers that are capable of making these machines and all the various components. You also can't, at this point, just increase the number of factories devoted to a product for a couple of weeks. Configuring a factory (and training employees) to make a product like this takes time and money. The factory needs to stay devoted to the same product for a significant period of time to spread those costs out in an economic fashion.

Very Well Stated!! +10^100

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
...or more likely, no one wants one because they already have a 2 or 3, and see no reason to upgrade?

Apple rushed this out too quick without substantial upgrades to define a purchase, consumers responded appropriately.

iPad 2 had a better form factor, iPad 3 had Retina, iPad 4 has new internals. One of these is not like the other when it comes to sales.

The iPad isn't a subscription service, you aren't required to purchase every model. Apple sold as many iPads last quarter as it did the entire year for 2010. They're not relying on existing customers to be their sole base.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
It's really unethical to misquote someone and imply that they would commit a crime.

Gosh, what did I ever do to you? :(

Anyone who ever visited an Apple store knows that they've got everything that's expensive tied down anyway.

Exactly, we know you didn't steal anything, just having a little fun. :) Even Jim over at The Loop was talking about sneaking away with a new 27" iMac at the event a few weeks ago, thought it was pretty funny.

Heck, if you're that upset by it, I'll edit my edit ...

...done.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
Exactly, we know you didn't steal anything, just having a little fun. :) Even Jim over at The Loop was talking about sneaking away with a new 27" iMac at the event a few weeks ago, thought it was pretty funny.

Heck, if you're that upset by it, I'll edit my edit ...

...done.
Okay, I understand now that you were joking. But it's still not right.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008

I was in an Apple Store last night. While I was there, they sold 5 iPads (to different customers). All 5 were full size iPad 4s. I don't think it's dead yet by a long stretch.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
If there is a good kind, this is it. People buying iPad minis are still buying Apple products, apps, and music.

Yes, but the mini is a lot cheaper than an iPad 4. This is not good cannibalization. The amount of money Apple maps in iTunes/App Store pales in comparison to the money they make off hardware sales.

I was in an Apple Store last night. While I was there, they sold 5 iPads (to different customers). All 5 were full size iPad 4s. I don't think it's dead yet by a long stretch.

It may not be dead, but it's past it's prime. Anecdotes aside, the iPad 4 is not selling as well as people thought it would.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.