Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The replacement to Windows will be...

• Android for Personal Computers

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • A Linux OS

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Official Mac OS X for PCs

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Segways :D.

The future is here!

womanbabysegway.jpg

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
You don't understand what Microsoft provides if all you can think of is Windows.

Enterprise is where Microsoft's bread is buttered and until Linux or Apple can provide the wide variety of products that Microsoft does there is little chance of uprooting it even in the case of Microsoft bankruptcy.

Most of what Microsoft provides to the enterprise market is solutions to manage its Windows desktop solutions. AD, Exchange, etc... they're not unique in the market.

If Windows were gone, no need for GPOs, no need for MSIs, no need for Terminal Services, Exchange can be replaced by tons of other groupware solutions, etc...

Aside from that, Microsoft's enterprise offerings are pretty sub-par. Microsoft Cluster Service is crap compared to things like Symantec VCS, HP MC/Serviceguard, SteelEye's LifeKeeper. SQL Server can't really beat Oracle for bigger installations and for smaller ones, PostgreSQL and MySQL are definately the cheaper and easier to manage choices. Let's not even go near IIS, Apache simply kills it.

As for internal tools and software development, J2EE is still the biggest name out there, .NET doesn't even come close and its future is now even uncertain.

Anyway, Windows will be suffering a bit, even in enterprise, in the near future. Ever hear of BYOD ? That's the new trend. Enterprises don't want to bother users with standardized tools. Bring Your Own Device, whatever you're comfortable with. And if we look at the consumer market, Apple is pretty much the choice of what people are comfortable with at home. I bring my Mac in to work often as I much prefer working on that than my provided HP EliteBook.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Horse and buggy.

What's old is new again. I'll dust off the dumb terminals and fire up the mainframe.

I'm seeing a trend here. Regression in the English language, personal transportation and computing. Slide rulers will be all the rage when my grand kids start college.

Interesting way of looking at that. And you know what, that's scary to see how true that is.

It just goes to show that the pioneers of computers knew the best way to do it. It was just that the hardware technology was no where near it needed to be at that time.
Companies like Microsoft, IBM, VMWare, Intel and Citrix knew that the hardware technology would eventually catch up and they invested deeply in client-server power computing many years ago. The idea of running server-side applications on a "thin client" over the Internet has probably existed since the time that the Internet, or should I say high-speed networking, was being developed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.