Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bolisaf

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 18, 2011
hi!

i've had mountain lion since it came out and quite happy with it.

but since about a week or 2 during bootup, after the spinning wheel stops turning and the mouse shows up in the upper left hand corner, it hangs there for about 10-15 seconds before the desktop shows up.
during this time i can use the mouse, but all that shows is the apple logo..

now i've made sure that no applications are to be relaunched after restart.. so the question here is: what's it busy doing during between the apple logo and the desktop? and more importantly: how can i fix it back to the way it was? it used to be a fraction of a second between the two, and now it seems to take forever!

ps: i've a macbook pro 2010 i5 8gb (but since it worked fine before, i don't think that has anything to do with it)

thanks in advance,
lars

Xagoth

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
hi!

but since about a week or 2 during bootup, after the spinning wheel stops turning and the mouse shows up in the upper left hand corner, it hangs there for about 10-15 seconds before the desktop shows up.
during this time i can use the mouse, but all that shows is the apple logo..

Hi.
I'm having that same issue. I did a clean install and after the spinning wheels stops (on apple logo) the mouse cursor appears and i'm able to move him. It takes 10-15 seconds to enter to desktop.

I don't know if this is normal, but i didn't had this issue on SL...

Did you manage to fix this?

Thanks!
Xagoth

(Sorry for my english)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Are you restoring apps from your last session? It takes time for OSX to reload your previous state. Also, those startup apps in your account login will take some time to load.

That said, you can check to make sure you have the right disk selected in "start up disk" (found in system preferences).

Xagoth

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Hi Krazy Bill,

I'm not restoring apps from last session, and i don't have any items in login account.

I tried, everything: reset SMC, reset PRAM, clear install, upgrade install, repair permission, and other stuff that i saw in other forums.

Im writing in this one because i didn't see a post like this, and this is exactly what happens to me: The apple logo (after spinning wheel) and mouse, after ≈10 seconds the desktop with a delayed dock...

Maybe it's a normal issue, but does not looks right. Seems like a unnecessary routine...

Last edited:

Xagoth

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I understand that, but if that is the solution i prefer to go back to SL, and dump the iCloud :)

To bad we can take money back from AppStore.

Thanks for your replies!

Last edited:

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I understand that, but if that is the solution i prefer to go back to SL, and dump the iCloud :)
Keep in mind SL will only be as good as the life of your current machine. Once it dies, SL can't be installed on anything newer.

I'm on SL but am currently trying to make ML bend to my will. (god help me :().

Xagoth

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Yes i know. I'm running a MBP 8,1 (2011).

If you want to go to ML think carefully ;).

planetshaker

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Same here, but: today I changed my SSD from Intel to Samsung and cloned everything on it to the new one. When the new one is in my macbook, I see exactly the same issue. After the Apple logo, the cursor is in the left top corner, additionnally the colourful spinning wheel appears and, most strangely, the fans gets extremely loud. 10-15 seconds later, the desktop is visible and the fans go back down again.

Last edited:

planetshaker

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Hm, strange. I had Google Drive installed. Deleted it and uninstalled the Google Updater, too. Booted in safe mode, did nothing there, shut down, waited 12 seconds, switched my macbook on - and everything works for the last 5 boots. Let's check how long this will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.