Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stu.h

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2010
West Midlands, England.
I know you have to us Trim Enabler to enable TRIM support when you first install your SSD but apart from that I can't think of any other reasons?

Why do you need to do that? I'm in the same boat as you, 16gb crucial memory came today should have the Samsung ssd over the next few days and the 2.6 mini on Friday.

From what I read, the trim hack is meh??

motrek

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
I haven't installed the 16gb of ram yet (it's still with the 4gb standard ram) but it seems a bit slow right now, slower than my 2006 imac or the 2009 13.3 MacBook Pro (has SSD). I am a bit disappointed as I really wanted a quad core pc for a year now thinking that it will fly. I am thinking seriously to replace the HDD with a 256 SSD.

It has a slower hard drive than the 2006 iMac and a much slower drive than the MacBook so it's no wonder it seems slow.

Plug in an SSD via USB3 and it will be much faster than both.

----------

Why do you need to do that? I'm in the same boat as you, 16gb crucial memory came today should have the Samsung ssd over the next few days and the 2.6 mini on Friday.

I wouldn't touch TRIM myself. Most SSDs are overprovisioned so they won't see any slowdown when they're full since they aren't really full. TRIM is basically unnecessary with recent drives.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK

I wouldn't touch TRIM myself. Most SSDs are overprovisioned so they won't see any slowdown when they're full since they aren't really full. TRIM is basically unnecessary with recent drives.

But as far as I know there isn't really any harm in enabling TRIM if the SSD supports it.

I found this which also makes me want to take advantage of the feature:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/289314-14-trim-important#t1950001

Its down to personal choice I guess :)

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I haven't installed the 16gb of ram yet (it's still with the 4gb standard ram) but it seems a bit slow right now, slower than my 2006 imac or the 2009 13.3 MacBook Pro (has SSD). I am a bit disappointed as I really wanted a quad core pc for a year now thinking that it will fly. I am thinking seriously to replace the HDD with a 256 SSD.

Now that I have had a chance to do more than just e mail and Safari I am noticing significant boosts in speed for different apps. For example, connecting to a VPN server takes a few seconds vs. 15-20 seconds on my Snow Leopard iMac.

I think that the extra RAM will be an improvement; 4GB just isn't enough. Macs should come with 8GB installed because that is what is really necessary. 4GB is the new 2GB...

antithema

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2010
Totally agree that they should add 8gb as a standard. Installed the 16gb today and its like having another pc. I think I will leave it like this for now for a year or so until the warranty expires and then add an SSD for more speed. Hopefully a 512gb will be affordable by then.

smallnshort247

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2010
Congrats! I have the maxed out 2011 with an ssd and 16gb of ram so ill be holding on to it and looking for a rMBP to use as my portable solution.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Yes I am using the HDMI out from the mini to my Onkyo Receiver than to my Sharp 70". No handshake issues so far.

Please keep us abreast of any screen issues related to the Mini's HDMI output. Very perplexing why some get it and others don't. Here is hoping that your rig stays "clean"!!!

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
Please keep us abreast of any screen issues related to the Mini's HDMI output. Very perplexing why some get it and others don't. Here is hoping that your rig stays "clean"!!!

OK here is an update. I been getting the black screen problem but it is not random like others have experienced. I get a black screen somewhere in the first 15 minutes of use. The black screen last a few seconds and I can still hear the sound and the picture goes dark but it doesn't happen again for the rest of my usage. I keep the mini off unless I am using it so I don't know if it would reoccur if I wake it up from a sleep mode.

I don't consider this a debilitating problem like some have been making it out to be. I hope the issue can be resolved with and update, but I have suspected from the very beginning that it is a HDMI Handshake Issue. Yet another reason to hate HDMI.

locomotive282

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Carson, CA
Also as an additional update I couldn't resist upgrading to Corsair 16GB Memory and the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD. I used the OWC Data Doubler Kit so I could retain the stock 1 TB hard drive too. I used the Trim Enabler Program. This Mac Mini is now a Monster.

Boot up time is practically instant since by the time my Receiver comes and switches input and my TV cycles on my desktop is already displayed.:cool:

I laughed when I watched the mini reboot, it goes from Apple Logo to the displaying the desktop. The circle doesn't even get a chance to spin. I am gonna miss that little spinning circle.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.