Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

notoriousbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
i have to leave my phone in my car when i go to work because my job doesnt allow phones to be brought to work. I have to go through a metal detector so sneaking it in isnt an option.

i leave it in my car for about 7 hours and the temperature gets to around 30 F is there anything i can do to keep it warm in my car? possibly something i can wrap around it or place it into. also leaving it at home isnt an option.

thanks

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
You will be fine. Just power the phone completely off when it sits in your car, especially since you are not using it. They ship those phones in colder temperatures.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
I've read that Neoprene is a good insulator. I've read an article that recommended leaving your iPad in a sleeve or soft case made of Neoprene if you have to leave it in a hot vehicle for an extended period of time. I would assume that it would also be useful for a cold vehicle as well.

Based on the situation you described, I think I would opt for a second phone. I think I might even go the route of a prepaid phone rather than repeatedly leaving my iPhone in a cold or hot car.

I think the best route would be to get a second phone which is a prepaid phone, but on the same carrier and just forward your iPhone line to it.

Both my work phone and my personal phone are on AT&T. So I keep my personal phone forwarded to my work phone most of the time.

Because mobile to mobile minutes are free, my employer does not incurr any cost when someone calls me on my personal cell phone.

Edit: A quick look at Apple's Web site shows the following temperature ranges for the iPhone 5:

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F

So like the other callers suggest, you are probably fine leaving your phone in your car in 30 degree weather. However, I still think I would opt for a second, prepaid phone if this is something I had to do on a continous basis.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
You could also try leaving it in a box or cooler with one of those instant heat packs that are used for muscle aches, although this probably wouldn't be economically feasible over the long-term unless you find a re-heatable one.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
Again, just leave it off. Directly from Apple site

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

notoriousbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Thanks guys. I wanna look into that neoprene sleeve thing and I think I'm just gonna turn it off when I go to work from no on so it's not on while its cold. I live in jersey so it's gonna keep getting colder. If anyone has anymore suggestions I would appreciate it btw it's an iPhone 5

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
Again, just leave it off. Directly from Apple site

Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

I've been using my 4S on a daily basis in ~25-30 weather and haven't had any problems so far. Is this going to create problems for me in the future?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I've been using my 4S on a daily basis in ~25-30 weather and haven't had any problems so far. Is this going to create problems for me in the future?
Likely not, and if your phone is in use, odds are it's above ambient temperatures anyway. Still, I'd keep it in a pocket when possible.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I keep mine on my belt in much colder temps then that since I work outside quite often. I use a life proof case and holster is its pretty much out in the open.

lpiph4mtbc01.jpg

CatsTide

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Just leave it in a cooler. Should stay several degrees warmer than the outside environment.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Why leave it turned on? The inside of the car in daylight will be warmer than the outside temp. No problem.

I'd be worried about summer. The car will get broiling hot inside.....

Reactions: Tom G.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It stays warm if its in your pocket mine is just in the car

But you've been given the temps as provided by Apple so I'm not sure what the issue is. It sounds like the phone will be fine. Or if you're truly worried, get a dumb phone for the car.

notoriousbeast

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
But you've been given the temps as provided by Apple so I'm not sure what the issue is. It sounds like the phone will be fine. Or if you're truly worried, get a dumb phone for the car.
no issue anymore I turned it off when I went to work and put it in my pocket for 10 min when I got out to warm it up a bit and it worked fine

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Small cooler as others have suggested will work just fine. If that's not good enough, search for a solar powered cooler. Make sure it's fully charged before getting to work and you'll be nice and cozy in your office as your phone's temperature is comfortably sitting in the vehicle under a satisfactory temperature.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
If anyone has anymore suggestions
You really have a couple of options that you can use separately or together:

- A heat source
- An insulated container

That's really it. There are all sorts of variations of the two to choose from. Shut it off and it will be find down to the minimum nonoperating temp posted above.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I used to leave my iPod Touch in my car since I typically listen to that on the car ride into work. I would definitely recommend you turn your phone off to conserve battery power. For the most part when I left my iPod in my car in the winter and summer, it was fine (I normally keep it in the glove compartment).

petalino

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
keep Siri warm

Even if it may feel like it, your phone is not a real person.
It will not catch a cold or freeze to death in cold weather.

It is just a piece of electronic equipment......,
but if Siri starts sneezing, it may be a distraction while driving

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
i have to leave my phone in my car when i go to work because my job doesnt allow phones to be brought to work. I have to go through a metal detector so sneaking it in isnt an option.

i leave it in my car for about 7 hours and the temperature gets to around 30 F is there anything i can do to keep it warm in my car? possibly something i can wrap around it or place it into. also leaving it at home isnt an option.

thanks

I would get a case for it and wrap it up in a blanket in the trunk. When I have had to leave my computer or iPad in my car during cold days I always put it in the trunk because it seems to hold even more than the interior of the car. On hot days I would sometimes put whatever it was in a freezer bag. I didn't freeze the bag, just normal and figured it would maintain the best temperature there. I have never had a problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.