Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 4, 2012, 02:07 PM   #151
Arelunde
macrumors Demi-God

I'm surprised there are so many problems with the Safari update. I haven't had any issues and Safari is even faster, snappier than before - and I have Verizon's "high speed" DSL at 3 mbps. However, I did do a hard reset after each update (Safari, iPhoto and Aperture). Perhaps that made a difference??
Old Nov 4, 2012, 07:54 PM   #152
coder12
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by hestroy View Post
Still with an unusable web inspector? I'm happy with Safari 5.
I didn't like it at first either, but after a few times of use I began to love it. Couldn't imaging going back now.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:05 AM   #153
macjunk(ie)
macrumors 6502

keeps crashing when I open a link in a new tab/window...Happens often enough that I have lost forms with filled in data, in-progress bank transactions..Very, very unreliable!! I am surprised this is not getting that much of limelight!
macjunk(ie) is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:09 AM   #154
roxxette
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjunk(ie) View Post
keeps crashing when I open a link in a new tab/window...Happens often enough that I have lost forms with filled in data, in-progress bank transactions..Very, very unreliable!! I am surprised this is not getting that much of limelight!
OMG i though i was alone in that one, if i have 2 tabs open and open another one it will crash or sometimes if i click a link/new window when i open it again safari resumes to the old tabs most of the time (not the last ones i open) and works fine again.
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:17 AM   #155
Macneck
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
The guy that was responsible for the division that creates and QAs that software was fired last week. Make no mistake, no matter what all the blogs say, it was as much about this as his being an asswipe or the Maps issue. A number of folks on various sites said from the start that it felt like Forstall was getting carried away with the cute little touches and it seems they were correct. Too much time on unneeded cute and not enough in debugging.
Sad... and scary! It sounds so much like Microsoft. I expect more from Apple considering their own propaganda. I'd rather wait some time after these new Macs show up to read people's problems/impressions on them before I empty my pockets. How went that saying?... "Coolness" is human, but reliability is divine!

Thanks for sharing!
Macneck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:56 AM   #156
ste0x
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRLawyer View Post
Wrong. The whole address shows up fine here. And no Yahoo search change either.
I'm having the same issue - only the domain shows up until you cmd+l. I really don't like this but there's nothing in preferences & nobody seems to have found a defaults write for it.

edit, screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/HMLic.png
ste0x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:47 AM   #157
ooans
macrumors regular

Quote:
I have the exact same problem. Super annoying!
ooans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:29 AM   #158
ladymacintosh
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macneck View Post
Sad... and scary! It sounds so much like Microsoft. I expect more from Apple considering their own propaganda. I'd rather wait some time after these new Macs show up to read people's problems/impressions on them before I empty my pockets. How went that saying?... "Coolness" is human, but reliability is divine!

Thanks for sharing!
Early adopters will always be the ones to have the most issues. I always wait a bit and read the results after a release- software or hardware, and then when it seems most of the stuff is worked out, usually in a couple months, I take the plunge.

As far as Apple's product quality, I would say they are still the best even if they appear to be going through a rough patch since Steve's departure. I do believe that the recent restructuring will make a very positive difference and bring back what we love about Apple. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about buying an Apple product. Even if you don't like your experience and decide to go back, the resale value alone is worth trying it out. Try reselling a Windows machine for half of what you bought it for a few months out of the box, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck to you!
ladymacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:59 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by ste0x View Post
I'm having the same issue - only the domain shows up until you cmd+l. I really don't like this but there's nothing in preferences & nobody seems to have found a defaults write for it.

edit, screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/HMLic.png
Did you try deleting Safari preferences, clearing cache and restarting? I definitely do NOT have such a problem.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:25 PM   #160
Macneck
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladymacintosh View Post
Early adopters will always be the ones to have the most issues. I always wait a bit and read the results after a release- software or hardware, and then when it seems most of the stuff is worked out, usually in a couple months, I take the plunge.

As far as Apple's product quality, I would say they are still the best even if they appear to be going through a rough patch since Steve's departure. I do believe that the recent restructuring will make a very positive difference and bring back what we love about Apple. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about buying an Apple product. Even if you don't like your experience and decide to go back, the resale value alone is worth trying it out. Try reselling a Windows machine for half of what you bought it for a few months out of the box, and you will see what I mean.

Good luck to you!
Thank you for your support. You just hit the nail on the head. I guess it's what i wanted to hear. I will sit back and relax a little... Easier said than done! Time... and users will tell. To be honest, I can't wait to have my first mac and too bad things should go with Apple for me not to give it a try. I hope there will be no turning back for me, but that depends on them.
Macneck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:33 PM   #161
ste0x
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Did you try deleting Safari preferences, clearing cache and restarting? I definitely do NOT have such a problem.
Yeah I totally purged everything related to Safari. It feels like it's by design rather than a bug, extremely weird it's only happening for some people.
ste0x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:17 PM   #162
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
glims is the answer
Thanks for the tip, glims resolves some of Safari short falls.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:04 AM   #163
ersatzplanet
macrumors member

have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.
ersatzplanet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:13 AM   #164
ersatzplanet
macrumors member

have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:14 AM   #165
ersatzplanet
macrumors member

I have cut down the frequency of the crashes by turning off and uninstalling all extensions. It has cut down the crashes quite a bit for me. Before doing that it would crash with simple things like clicking on a link or just changing pages.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:13 AM   #166
dzhiurgis
macrumors member

Send a message via Skype™ to dzhiurgis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnake2012 View Post
Downloaded fine from the app store last night. Fixed my issue loading .gifs on my rMBP, which was really annoying.

So far I'm seeing the same results, which is a relief.
I have same better issues. The annoying flickering GIFs look fixed. However, I have a new issue, of some random artefacts appearing. They are usually square or long stripes with some moving dots inside. Really strange. I tried to disable AdBlock but that didn't help any. I think it might to do with DivX plug-in I installed recently, but I am not sure yet.
I uploaded some sample images here: http://imgur.com/a/6DxDN
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:18 AM   #167
AppleMacFinder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Error message showing up when trying to download here - will try again tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1ro View Post
I'm also unable to download this update.

Getting this error:
"The operation couldn’t be completed.
(NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)"
Could be solved by:
1) Reconnecting to the Internet
2) Relaunching Mac App Store
3) Restarting the computer
4) Using "Clean My Mac" to remove the temp files.
And even if that doesn't help ("Clean My Mac" sometimes misses some temp files) :
5) Using "Find Any File" to find and manually remove the temp files, related to old version of this software

In most cases, steps 1) - 3) are enough.
AppleMacFinder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:46 PM   #168
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

I dont know.....

about Safari. Being a early adopter when Safari first goes out, in most Mac machines the thing becomes a resource hog. Too many treads here about Safari memory leaks, using too much processor and so on. Also, using a Windows PC sometimes, I am disappointed about no further development in Windows. So, I hope with the recent changes in Apple management, they deliver products that works, are efficient and sleek (mantra of Apple doing) no something to meet a deadline
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:04 AM   #169
attila
macrumors 6502

Does it remove that horrible developer web inspector?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:26 AM   #170
macjunk(ie)
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
So, I hope with the recent changes in Apple management, they deliver products that works, are efficient and sleek (mantra of Apple doing) no something to meet a deadline
+1
That is when we get our money's worth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooans View Post
I have the exact same problem. Super annoying!
Got rid of the problem. Using Chrome
It is slick. The only thing I miss in it is a three finger tap to bring up the definition of a word.
macjunk(ie) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:34 AM   #171
jypatl
macrumors newbie

Quote:
+1
Got rid of the problem. Using Chrome
It is slick. The only thing I miss in it is a three finger tap to bring up the definition of a word.
The three finger tap does work on Chrome.
jypatl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:52 AM   #172
allan.nyholm
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to allan.nyholm Send a message via Skype™ to allan.nyholm
I had a different error code in relation to downloading Safari 6.0.2 and iTunes 10.7 the other day. An 'error 103' which made the software updater stop giving me the updates after none of them was installed - neither Safari nor iTunes went on to be installed when this error came up.

I went looking inside the system to try and let Mac App Store give them to me again to install, by clearing caches, but no such luck. The Software Update prefpane on the other hand said that there indeed was updates for me to install - no such thing in MAS.

I went scouring the internet for an answer and found something but really nothing related to my issue that could help me move forward. I was left no choice but to install Safari and iTunes from links provided here and from Apple.com - So thanks to those posting the link to Safari.
allan.nyholm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:40 PM   #173
macjunk(ie)
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jypatl View Post
The three finger tap does work on Chrome.
Thanks. You are right. But I guess it is not very willing sometimes. For e.g., I am not able to get it working on macrumors..very strange.
macjunk(ie) is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:25 AM   #174
bronxred
macrumors member

Speedier & More Stable...

I can't tell if I'm being psyched out by the progress bar or if Safari really is speedier with this update, but it's not crashing on me anymore. If I wasn't used to opening dozens of tabs in Chrome, I might try and switch back.

Anyone know of a good keyboard shortcut extension for Chrome to get Safari's functionality for quickly opening of your first nine bookmarks? So far all the extensions bite and it's the one thing about Safari I really miss...
bronxred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 AM   #175
jalebibai
Banned

its not working on my cel
jalebibai is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion