Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:48 PM   #1
ClaireDa
macrumors newbie

filename.doc is blocked from opening in this version

I updated my Office for Mac software about a week ago, and now I can't open Word downloads from emails or online. It seems to be I can't open ANY Word downloads though, not just older ones.
I tried the workaround options but they didn't work, and I don't know how to get my old version of Office back!

My Mac is quite old (OS X 10.5.8).

Also the search function on my Entourage doesn't work now either?

WAAH I want my old Office back!

Please help Thanks!
ClaireDa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
davidinva
macrumors 6502

Do you still have the discs from the previous version? You may be able to delete the new version and go back. Others on here will know for sure.
davidinva is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:03 PM   #3
ClaireDa
macrumors newbie

No, I don't have the previous version
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:11 AM   #4
JediMeister
macrumors 68040

What version/year of Microsoft Office do you have currently installed? 2004, or 2008? Is it fully up to date? When you select Check for Updates from the help menu, are any updates listed? Have you tried saving the document to the computer and then trying to open it?
JediMeister is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:34 PM   #5
ClaireDa
macrumors newbie

I'm running Word 2008 version 12.2.3

I ran Mackeeper and it updated it, and since then I haven't been able to open any downloaded files.
I've just discovered that other people can't open my Word attachments I send them either.

----------

Yes, I can't save any files to my computer either
Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Nermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireDa View Post
I ran Mackeeper
If Mackeeper is what I think it is, then it's malware.

Edit: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3691

Last edited by Nermal; Nov 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added link
Nermal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:55 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireDa View Post
I ran Mackeeper and it updated it, and since then I haven't been able to open any downloaded files.
Delete MacKeeper. It's useless and can cause problems. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:
Best way to FULLY DELETE a program
You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Some can even degrade, rather than improve system performance.

Some remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process. These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

Some of these apps delete caches, which can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt. Caches exist to improve performance, so deleting them isn't advisable in most cases.

Many of the tasks performed by these apps should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.
Five Mac maintenance myths
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help