Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:37 PM   #151
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
This isn't very rounded...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
I think the MessagePad 110 was one of his first designs for Apple.
Thanks! Apparently Ive managed to change both himself and his designs over time. Wonder what he and his ideas will morph into for the future?

Click image for larger version

Name:	jon_ive.png
Views:	32
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	375462

Doesn't he have kids now? That always changes a man's perspective towards usability and ruggedness!
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:46 PM   #152
melendezest
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic386 View Post
All the Ive articles that quote his thoughts show a guy that is onto it in terms of design, the customer experience, and design excellence through the whole machine whether you can see it or not. Even the the packaging. Who does that. Jony Ive. This level of commitment to design means that Apple promoting Ive in this way is a great decision.

The future already looks great for Samsung and Google. Microsoft and some PC makers seem to be the slowest to learn and adapt. The next 10 years will be an interesting time.

Apples lead in key areas that determine product success is being closed. In other areas it's not even being touched.

I'm wrapped with the Ive decision. As an Apple customer it makes me feel good about the future. Real good.
Agreed.

On the other hand, despite what I've heard here, Microsoft has really impressed me with Windows 8. I love the commercial where the mom grabs the "iMac" and puts it on a painter's canvas rack and the daughter paints on it. Cool. So, while they're trying to be "all things to all people", I see that they're actually trying to do something interesting and fun. I would not dismiss them just yet.

If they can work on their ecosystem integration (and for me, their hardware design as well), I feel they'll become a real threat (or alternative, depending on your point of view) real quick. It looks like they're moving in the right direction; If done right, I'm not above switching to Windows phone, Surface, 8 desktop. I feel in this respect, they're superior to Android/Google.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:22 PM   #153
sigamy
macrumors 65816

I'm hopeful that Ive can bring some order, consistency and some new life into the UI's of both OS X and iOS.

On the Mac:
1. Bring color back to OS X. I don't understand the grayscale-ness of iTunes and Finder, especially now that we have Retina quality displays.
2. Consistency around the OS. I'm thinking of UI elements, usage of Sheets and Dialogs, iCloud integration, full screen vs not, "x" to close an app vs. not, etc.
3. Expose/MC choice. I don't use Spaces and rarely use Full Screen so MC has limited use for me and makes my app windows very small.

iOS wishlist: (these are probably all available on jailbreak)
1. Gesture-based Expose like app switcher that shows open apps live preview.
2. Updating icons
3. UI to get pushed down by notifications, not just notifications on top of screen.
4. Customizable lock screen that combines features of notification center.

And oh yeah, seriously limit the skuemorphism.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:34 PM   #154
sigamy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journeyman79 View Post
I personally think this is the end for OS X and iOS. We have entered into a new generation of computing with Retina displays etc and its always been felt that ios and os x have been patched up to fit these new technologies. They are both a mess... Skeumorphisms, last remnants of Aqua, and the half introduction of the black ios theme into os x.

For me, the handing over of everything visual to Ive means one thing... that OS 11 could be upon us! Completely redesigned to match up to the newest generation of computers / tablets / phones. ONE operating system for all 3, designed visually by Ive to match the hardware, also designed by Ive.
Man, time flies. It's hard to believe that Mac OS X 10.0 was released in 2001. The transition from OS 9 to OS X took a while but Apple really hit its stride in delivering incredible new features with Panther, Tiger and Leopard.

Now, I'm no John Siracusa so this may not be true anymore, but consider that the core of the OS comes from late 1980's NeXT technology, and I think you are right....It is time for the next revolution in computing OS's.

It's also amazing to consider what has happened first, since 2007 (iPhone) and since 2010 (iPad-first tablet computer people cared about).

Microsoft has made it's bet on convergence of UI across all devices. Google has a bet on now with Android and a bet on the future with ChromeOS. But all Google cares about is eyeballs, not necessarily great design.

Where is Apple going to go? Do they really believe that computers (trucks) are different than tablets (cars)?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:00 PM   #155
driceman
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuregulin View Post
I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.
I thought I heard somewhere that Ive didn't WANT to be CEO... He'd rather be the guy being a bad @$$ over in the design department.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:05 PM   #156
OllyW

Moderator Note:

The British English vs American English discussion had begun to derail this thread so the posts have been moved into this new thread.
OllyW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:25 PM   #157
the8thark
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddoxx View Post
Jobs was a visionary and needed some luck; the consumer market for computers didn't exist when Steve founded Apple.

Jony, on the other hand, already has an established market share with hundreds of millions of consumers. With a well establish market, an unbelievable brand, and a cash balance approaching 200 billion next year. Jony doesn't need luck; he just needs to keep doing what he already has been doing for quite some time at Apple.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple...ce-2013-2012-6
Ive didn't have all that at Apple when he was working there in 1997. He designed the second generation of the Newton, the MessagePad110 supposedly.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:24 PM   #158
chris2k5
Banned

Jony Ive seems to be doing fine in the shadows. He doesn't need an upfront position to put pressure on him. Phil Schiller should be the front man.
chris2k5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 07:26 PM   #159
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8thark View Post
And be bored to death?
Jon is a genius, a legend. But he is not good at talking to crowds
now we're just talking opinions.
I enjoy Ive's talks more than Steve's. Like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JLjldgjuKI&
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 08:52 PM   #160
sazivad
macrumors 6502

Skeumorphism, I wish I could say I hardly knew ye. But I did know ye. Very well.

Too well.
sazivad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:27 PM   #161
throAU
macrumors 68030

Quote:

They should have been looking for Steve's replacement and Johny should be at least on that short list. Wondering why it takes them a whole year to find Johny..... next door.

I suspect this is why Tim was left in charge. To determine who that replacement should be, in an unbiased manner.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:29 PM   #162
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci954 View Post
So one man cannot replace Jobs, you need 2: Cook and Ive.

And! I remember when I had a fallout with my business partner in 2007...I left...and he replaced me with 3 people ! Some men are good at multitasking

I hope Ive lives up to all your expectations...because boy I wouldn't want to be at the end of you lot if he don't
wizzerandchips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:27 AM   #163
RBR2
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
if only we can get Jony to do the keynotes.
If only we could get him to make cooler designs...ones that did not overheat so much.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
I suspect this is why Tim was left in charge. To determine who that replacement should be, in an unbiased manner.
Tim is the business manager that Steve never was.
RBR2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:29 AM   #164
jonathan1683
macrumors newbie

All this hype, he is no jobs replacement, there never will be. Everyone is riding him so hard there will be no one to correct him because they are afraid of him. Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.
jonathan1683 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:22 AM   #165
ThunderSkunk
macrumors 68000

That's pretty awesome. To grow from a neglected designer in a basement to this position is the stuff of dreams.
ThunderSkunk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:26 AM   #166
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan1683 View Post
Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.
no, but I'm sure you'll remind us. Do you have photos and something to back up the claim Jobs shot them down?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:38 AM   #167
MeFromHere
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nermal View Post
You could also go through and count the number of posts that say "Steve Job's"
If you're going to do a thing, do it right...

You could al'so go through and count the number of po'st's that 'say "'Steve Job's"

MeFromHere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:33 AM   #168
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by localhost8080 View Post
I like the idea of the surface pro.
it should tie in with a win 8 pro laptop / desktop and a win 8 phone and be a very good experience.

i would probably run ubuntu on the intel chip microsoft surface though :|
I doubt you's have much luck with that.
Soft Keyboard support
Hardware keyboard ( covers ) have unique drivers
Video and touch drivers
Power drivers / recharging - propriety connectors

I mean I am sure you could install it but it's not going to do anything... well anything touchy

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan1683 View Post
All this hype, he is no jobs replacement, there never will be. Everyone is riding him so hard there will be no one to correct him because they are afraid of him. Do you remember all the ugly ass iphone prototypes he put out that jobs shut down? Anyways I hope he does well.
Some of the iphone prototype were fantastic. Some, well, were not!.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/iphon...nd-prototypes/

You have to remember some of there are 6-7 years old so prototypes were constantly evolving.

How do you know Jobs shut them down... it's the design process.
Design>evolve>scrap>Repeat 100 times>Evolve>Release.*

Unless you are Samsung. Copy.EvolveABit.Release
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:50 AM   #169
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

Jony Ive...spiritual successor...uh
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:51 AM   #170
prowlmedia
macrumors 6502a

I do think that people on here have no idea what it takes to run a business of this size.

I am not claiming I do. But I suspect that Sir Johnny has less knowledge about the Financials than Tim Cook. And Tim probably doesn't have that design feel.

And with a company like this it's all about the Timescales and bigger picture and Sir J. Seems to be very detail driven and insular. Hense

Looks like a great team to me.

Reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JLjldgjuKI
SJI has a very shiny forehead. And whilst factual doens't have the slick presentation skills of some of the others.

And it appears he can smile

Last edited by prowlmedia; Nov 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
prowlmedia is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:02 PM   #171
waldobushman
macrumors regular

Quote:
I was amazed by APPL board to let Tim lead the company, not he is not a good leader. APPL is different from any other company not because of its operation (that's Tim, he does a fantastic job!), but because of Steve!

Steve Jobs want Tim Cook as CEO. You think the Board was going to do anything different from that?
waldobushman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:24 PM   #172
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

Somebody has.....

to provide the insight, the aesthetics and the overall design ideas for Apple, now without Steve. Good to know that person is Ive, multi-awarded and key part of Apple sucess
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:42 PM   #173
LeandrodaFL
macrumors 6502a

I actuallly dont like this guy. I love the iPod and iPad, but Samsungs/Sony/LG smartphones are way more beautiful then an iPhone. And the whole macintosh line is getting uglier every year.
LeandrodaFL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:49 PM   #174
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckinfutz View Post
Man

Doesn't Apple have a campus gym? Some execs need to get in and shed some pounds.
Apple has a few scattered throughout the campus actually.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeandrodaFL View Post
I actuallly dont like this guy. I love the iPod and iPad, but Samsungs/Sony/LG smartphones are way more beautiful then an iPhone. And the whole macintosh line is getting uglier every year.
i can't seem to find a notebook/laptop that looks better than the macbook, imo. i'm not being sarcastic or rhetorical, I really can't find a laptop that looks better than the macbook.
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:55 PM   #175
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by scupking View Post
Can't wait to see what comes from apple in the next 10 years!
An entire decade ?

I'm more concerned with the next Ten _Months_

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion