Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:26 PM   #26
NHFR9W
macrumors newbie

I chose a cMBP specifically for the upgrade path. I could have gotten a very nice rMBP for the amount I paid for my cMBP. I ordered the highest processor available, a large HDD (1TB) and the upgraded display (1680x1050). The RAM (upgrade to 16GB) and HDD (upgrade to SSD) can be upgraded when I want. The size was never a factor considering my other laptops weigh in excess of 7lbs. Period done.
NHFR9W is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 05:52 PM   #27
Vincent7
macrumors member

I chose to get a 13" cMBP instead of the rMBP since this is my first mac and I didn't want to deal with the problems the 1st gen models have.

Next year I'll probably get a 13" rMBP.
Vincent7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:36 PM   #28
AppleBoyFreak
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by epigenome View Post
In the professional world... we can't all carry around nice weight distributing backpacks all the time (which we STILL see people developing problems from overloading when they're in schools). Weight matters a lot, especially for people that rely on public transportation and walking to get around.

Also, assuming you're pretty fresh since your parents are still buying you expensive toys, no matter how fit you are - your body will begin to ache... without apparent cause... on a somewhat regular basis in the not too distant future.
The MacBook Pro was the first Apple product my parents have ever bought me. Everything else I bought with my own money. I don't even carry my MacBook Pro in a bookbag. I carry it in my arms. It's less than 10lbs so I'm pretty sure even my grandma could carry it.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 08:43 PM   #29
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020

I chose the 15" rMBP because it gave me the power I had from my 2011 iMac, but in a portable device. The screen gives me the desktop space I need (1920x1200) and the quality of the entire machine sealed the deal. Definitely the best Mac product I've owned so far.

The weight and thickness are a big bonus, and it was what drew me to choose this MBP over the cMBP.

Not to mention the discount I got from my work is a pretty nice one.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 09:01 PM   #30
ob81
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to ob81 Send a message via MSN to ob81
I did it mainly because of the screen, and the fact that I don't use an optical drive ever. Apple doesn't make anything that uses an optical drive, and I personally think that optical drive Apple computers will be extinct soon. I couldn't bring myself to buy the cMBP when I know that the life on it will be short-lived. Went with the Retina and I have been happy since purchase.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:56 PM   #31
Spicedham
macrumors member

after using a retina screen for 4 months, all other laptop screens look blurry.
Spicedham is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:57 PM   #32
markus843
Banned

I'm poor so I had to get the cheapest cMbp, but I upgraded it alot.
markus843 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:06 PM   #33
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus843 View Post
I'm poor so I had to get the cheapest cMbp, but I upgraded it alot.
Me too lol. I have a 2011 cMBP with 2.0 MHz processor, Crucial SSD with 8GB RAM and couldn't be happier.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:44 PM   #34
Liquinn
macrumors 68020

Wait... couldn't us guys with a cmbp use our retina iPads as a main monitor or no?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:39 PM   #35
AirThis
macrumors 6502

Well, I think that reasons for choosing one over the other are mostly personal. There is really no "right" or "wrong" choice, despite what some would have you believe.

I hesitated a lot but in the end I got the 15" rMBP. Reasons for preferring it over a cMBP:

- I have no use for a firewire port. I'd rather have 2 TB ports.
- I have no use for an ODD.
- The speaker system on the rMBP is simply fabulous.
- HDMI is a big plus.
- I wasn't really in love with the retina screen, but the panel offered with the cMBP isn't one of my favorites either. So why not choose the retina after all?
- The SSD in the rMBP is actually faster than many aftermarket SSDs.
- I was going to get 16GB of RAM right out of the box so upgradability was never an issue.
- People say that there are issues with the rMBP but I'm a software QA engineer. All problems have solutions. Identifying problems and finding solutions (or workarounds) is actually part of the fun. How bad could it be?
- A colleague showed me his rMBP and, after playing with it for 15 minutes, I realized that most of the so-called "issues" were really quite minor. The only problem that struck me as being potentially serious was IR. However, I have none.

Contrary to others, weight played no part in my decision. In fact, I find the rMBP to be deceptively heavy. I'm not at all surprised that some here have dropped it.

Initially I wasn't attracted by the Retina display. But now that I have it, I'm enjoying it and don't think I could easily go back. The jag on the old panel is more difficult for me to endure than the lag on the new one.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:32 PM   #36
kallyq
macrumors regular

Well, I wasn't really in the market for a new macbook because I have the c13 which I do not ever use (my husband uses it as a Windows laptop now) and the MBA 11 inch. I saw the keynote that talked about the 13 inch with retina display and I was intrigued. I didn't know there was a 15 inch already.

I went to Best Buy intending to buy the 13 inch one but was talked into the 15 inch base mode. I am happy that I went with that because the 13 is too close to my 11.

Anyway, the main reason I got it is because I LOVE LOVE LOVE retina display. I love reading text on retina display so much. It is so awesome to have retina display on my computer! My gaming desktop has a great monitor too (Dell U2711) but it looks all fuzzy compared to my retina display. I'm super happy with the retina display (I could just keep typing and typing to see more clear text haha)
kallyq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:00 PM   #37
Evev12
macrumors regular

I chose the rMBP...primarily because someone spilled a drink on my 2011 cMBP and completely fried it. But when making my actual RE-purchase decision, I chose the rMBP primarily for the viewing angle (and resolution and size only second to that). This is my retouching workstation and actually (sad to say it) is my only display at the moment....therefore color accuracy was VERY important, and the core displays have always turned my hairs grey....moving even an inch would adjust the colors/shadows DRAMATICALLY..it was a huge petpeeve.
Evev12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:22 PM   #38
RexTraverse
macrumors 6502

It was an issue of the things I wanted and what I didn't really care about.

If I went with a classic 15, I wanted the 1680x1050 hi-res screen. I also wanted to go with the 256GB SSD and 8GB memory upgrade, but would probably have done the swaps myself over buying it from Apple due to the price premiums on both.

With the retina 15, I could scale it to 1680x1050-esque (and, trying it out at the Apple Store, being non-native is not an issue). The base model had the 256GB SSD and came standard with 8GB memory. Also, built-in HDMI with audio out was a huge nice-to have opposed to using a dongle

With the classic, the optical drive on the classic was a non-issue. With the retina, I knew I'd have to get a TB-FW800 adapter since I'm very invested in external Firewire devices. For what I was looking for, the retina actually came out cheaper and had everything I wanted.

The difference was swapping one adapter for another, losing some weight, and getting a much nicer screen for slightly less money and a lot less hassle.

The only thing that made the decision one to think about are the first-generation jitters. But my 2006 MacBook Pro was also a first-generation model and ran like a champ until earlier this year, so that wasn't a huge dealbreaker for me either.
RexTraverse is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:54 PM   #39
rmcguinness9894
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonie1972 View Post
i wanted a fw800 port on-board... so i went w/ the c15.

also, who knows, maybe someone will make 16gb x2 modules so we can max out at 32gigs ram.

really wish there was another TB on the other side, and maybe a couple of more usb ports.

barring that ... a TB hub that's actually available and under $40. while i'm dreaming i'd like a pony.
What do you do on your computer that you want 32GB of RAM and that many ports? I'm not being a jerk lol I'm just wondering.
rmcguinness9894 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:42 PM   #40
PapaVBnMOMO
macrumors member

Just picked up a base 13 rMBP at Amazon. Was about to get the base 13 cMBP and upgrade the heck out of it but did the calculations and the difference wasn't that much and don't really need all that much internal storage. I do have a 2011 27" iMac if I need to do some heavy lifting.

First impressions....wow this screen's awesome and quite fast.
PapaVBnMOMO is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:54 AM   #41
spoonie1972
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcguinness9894 View Post
What do you do on your computer that you want 32GB of RAM and that many ports? I'm not being a jerk lol I'm just wondering.
Composition. You can never have enough ram. Kontakt gobbles it up. For now I either work with a/b machine with MoL or simplify my template (not something I enjoy doing).

Should I be using a workstation? Probably.. but I sold my 3,1 mac pro while it still had good resale value all loaded up. Waiting for the 6,1.... very patiently.

as for the ports - i just dislike that they're disappearing. i shouldn't have to get a 'hub' just to have enough ports for daily use (usb keys, ilok, keyboard, fw, minidisplayport/tb - i'd like more than one!). You should see the logjam on the left side when everything is squeezed in there.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro