Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
I've been following this forum for a while now, and most threads are about people who have issues with their mac, technical questions, and "whine" about specs not being what you thought.

I've just bought a 15" baseline rMBP, which is going to be delivered on thursday. And I can't help but feel a bit ambivalent. This is my very first mac ever, and I want to feel like it's gonna change my life.

So give me a peptalk. Make me PSYCHED! The meaning of the thread is to gather all of you who in general are very happy about your rMBP-purchase. What's so good about it? What's so good about OS X? Etc etc.

I refuse to believe that all rMBP-owners are dissatisifed.

danielwerner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah... That thread is good too, but to be honest I just want the pep. I want all fanboys to just, you know, belch only positive stuff so I can get rid of that nagging feeling that I just spent 3000 dollars on ****. :)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Yeah... That thread is good too, but to be honest I just want the pep. I want all fanboys to just, you know, belch only positive stuff so I can get rid of that nagging feeling that I just spent 3000 dollars on ****. :)
You can't restrict a thread to only positive comments. People will post what they want to post.

uhslax24

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA
You can't restrict a thread to only positive comments. People will post what they want to post.

He's simply excited. He's encouraging people to share what they like about their rMBP. He has just as much right to request that as you do to post negative comments.

Of course not. But I can still express my wishes for what I would like the thread to include.

I love my rMBP. I got it back in August and haven't looked back since. For video editing, it screams, and of course it does well when surfing the web and writing emails as well. You'll love it!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
He's simply excited. He's encouraging people to share what they like about their rMBP. He has just as much right to request that as you do to post negative comments.
I didn't say anything about anyone's right to post, and I haven't posted any negative comments. I only stated fact.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I've been following this forum for a while now, and most threads are about people who have issues with their mac, technical questions, and "whine" about specs not being what you thought.

I've just bought a 15" baseline rMBP, which is going to be delivered on thursday. And I can't help but feel a bit ambivalent. This is my very first mac ever, and I want to feel like it's gonna change my life.

So give me a peptalk. Make me PSYCHED! The meaning of the thread is to gather all of you who in general are very happy about your rMBP-purchase. What's so good about it? What's so good about OS X? Etc etc.

I refuse to believe that all rMBP-owners are dissatisifed.

As in politics the silent majority (here,those who like their rMBPs) are never or rarely heard. I'd say the whiners who post on this forum number less than 200. Let them whine. They will always be amongst us.

If it is any comfort here is a poll result of satisfied rMBP owners.

Last edited:

sensorian

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
Manchester, UK
I started work in the IT industry in 1986 and sold some of the very first PC's. Owned a laptop from the early 'luggable' days and was a Windows zealot until only recently.

Then....I bought an i-pad, then....I bought an i-phone....then I though sod it I'll try a Macbook and went for the rmbp 15". I write music, edit videos and photos and usual office stuff and play a few games. I can say without question it is the single best piece of technology I have ever owned.

It has never, ever let me down and despite having an LG screen I have had no issues whatsoever. The screen is a joy to behold and worth the extra money which in truth I debated long and hard over.

I have my work Windows 7 build running on Fusion that runs better than my old Lenovo laptop they gave me.

I have all photos, videos and music available in the cloud across all my devices and I'm happier than a pig in *****.

Is that positive enough?

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
This is a forum where people are motivated to come and complain. The vast majority of the millions who will purchase a 13" or 15" rMBP over the coming months will be absolutely thrilled with their purchase for years to come. They will love Safari for the web, Retina versions of iPhoto and iMovie, and the speed of 8+GB of RAM combined with SSD's and Ivy Bridge processors.

The other 5-10% come here to complain that specs aren't as high as they'd prefer to play some dorky fantasy game or zombie-based shooter. Blah.:rolleyes:

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
This is a forum where people are motivated to come and complain. The vast majority of the millions who will purchase a 13" or 15" rMBP over the coming months will be absolutely thrilled with their purchase for years to come. They will love Safari for the web, Retina versions of iPhoto and iMovie, and the speed of 8+GB of RAM combined with SSD's and Ivy Bridge processors.

The other 5-10% come here to complain that specs aren't as high as they'd prefer to play some dorky fantasy game or zombie-based shooter. Blah.:rolleyes:

I totally agree with the above. I'd actually say that less than 5-10% out of the millions buying the product come to complain ( and not only to this forum ). But of course, few people can always complain loud enough so that the remaining millions can clearly hear them, no matter where they turn.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
I totally agree with the above. I'd actually say that less than 5-10% out of the millions buying the product come to complain ( and not only to this forum ). But of course, few people can always complain loud enough so that the remaining millions can clearly hear them, no matter where they turn.

Man you have really dropped some serious dough on solid state storage judging by your signature. Wow:eek:

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
Man you have really dropped some serious dough on solid state storage judging by your signature. Wow:eek:

Maybe they need 8 versions of Final Cut Studio installed on SSD internal. Or no one told them how to link iTunes library's to externals. I may have done it if I hadn't gone cMBP with 2 drive bay's that I can RAID0 for much cheaper.

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
I've had mine for a little over a week and love it :) I really love the retina display. I love the clearness of the text. I just wrote about this in another thread though so I will not gush over it in here. :p

trsblader

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
I was lucky enough to get mine the day after it was announced at the keynote, and loved every second of it so far. Never had a single regret.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
My dad got a 15" RMBP and switched it with a 13". He says that the 13" is better, but he also wiped his user that's been migrated all the way from a 2004 iMac G5 running Panther and put files back on manually, and that probably made it run better.

I think retina is overkill on a 15" laptop, but it's better for the specs than the non-retina version, so there's no reason to not buy it if you want good specs.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
Maybe they need 8 versions of Final Cut Studio installed on SSD internal. Or no one told them how to link iTunes library's to externals. I may have done it if I hadn't gone cMBP with 2 drive bay's that I can RAID0 for much cheaper.

Actually... I am Software Engineer and my working habit consists of having multiple VMs set up with different configurations ( usually one VM per project ) + keeping some install kits around and such ( I don't store movies or music on my machine... at least nothing worth mentioning / maybe 5-10GB tops of "recreational media" ). That being said, sure the 768GB was a slight overkill, but since I prefer having my work and things in one place than scattered around on external HDDs, I decided to get the maxed out version.

Different people, different needs and habits...

PS: The decision was of course a combination of multiple factors and didn't solely come down to my working habit... Overall, it had to do with: laziness, personal preferences ( referring mainly to the model... cause I could have gotten the maxed out 15" rMBP instead... but it's not what I wanted ), not really being limited by a budget, peace of mind ( although, to me, that means going into "overkill mode" ), etc.

Last edited:

w00tini

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2008
Great laptop. Replacing my 2010 Mac Pro Hex-core tower and 2010 11" MBA with this one device. I picked up the 13" rMBP.

Retina is absolutely worth the extra cost if you use your computer a few hours a day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.