Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Have any of you seen this symbol in the status bar, or know what it means? I'm on AT&T and have seen "E" for Edge, 3G, 4G, and LTE, but today was the first time I've seen this--looks like an "o". Any ideas?

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,103

jatt559

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2008
have any of you seen this symbol in the status bar, or know what it means? I'm on at&t and have seen "e" for edge, 3g, 4g, and lte, but today was the first time i've seen this--looks like an "o". Any ideas?

gprs

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 3, 2009
PA
Ah, GPRS. Thanks, that makes sense. Something must be wonky today, because normally it's 4G. Philly suburbs (Montgomery County PA).

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Ah, GPRS. Thanks, that makes sense. Something must be wonky today, because normally it's 4G. Philly suburbs (Montgomery County PA).

I was in Harleysville, and my girlfriend had the same problem this morning (on Verizon), and I noticed that FioS was slow as... high speed cable! :rolleyes:

I just chalked it up to Sandy's effects still reverberating in the area. One of my friends down the road didn't get power back until the night of the 4th, so I wouldn't be surprised if some cell towers are still out too.

----------

GPRS delivers something like 2kbps. It's useless.

----------

Nope, it's actually the G symbol. The 2G symbol is E (for EDGE).

Edge is also quite capable for playing World of Warcraft on :p

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
GPRS delivers something like 2kbps. It's useless.

----------

Nope, it's actually the G symbol. The 2G symbol is E (for EDGE).

Edge is a "2.5G" technology. 1G would be voice-only; no data. You can get data on GPRS, though barely at dial-up speeds. At least this is how I understand it.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Edge is a "2.5G" technology. 1G would be voice-only; no data. You can get data on GPRS, though barely at dial-up speeds. At least this is how I understand it.

Hmmm my understanding is different than yours. Wikipedia agrees with you. I'd put more energy into researching this if it wasn't 10pm and I still had stuff to do.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i dont know why apple decided to us the "o" symbol for 2G. why not just use a "G" or "1X" like every other phone since 2001 has done.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
1xRTT is different from GPRS. Does it use "o" for 1x as well? I can't test it myself; 1x has been eradicated here :)

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I get the same thing 24/7 on my 4S on Verizon while I am at home. I basically have to use my 3GS on AT&T to make a call while I am here. 90% of calls drop here on Verizon.

If I don't turn on airplane mode on the 4S while I am at home, the battery will drain in half a day while I have that o.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.