Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:01 AM   #276
Tilpots
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
ABC News has had some spot-on commentary tonight.

I especially like how they're qualifying Romneys loss as a rejection of broader GOP policy and ideals and that if the GOP tries to hang this loss around Romneys neck, they are rejecting the soul-searching that needs to occur during the next four years.
Fortunately, every network, including Fox, said that.
Tilpots is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:03 AM   #277
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Teezie View Post
That wasn't a terrible concession speech. That has to be insanely difficult to do.
McCain's concession speech was 100x better. It was the first and only time I actually liked him.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:04 AM   #278
Grey Beard
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Grey Beard
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorphingDragon View Post
Watching it on Campbell Live.

His speech seems like something a Chancellor or Principal would give at graduation.
Oh crap Robbie, you're watching TV3 Romney's speech was well done, and polished, wonder if it took much rehearsal? Oh and with Lee, when he gets excited, his hands shake.

KGB
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:06 AM   #279
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

I actually liked the tone and candor of Romney's concession speech. He seemed more like a human than he has in awhile - I remember that candor from his MA gubernatorial run. I'm sure it's an incredibly difficult thing to do after years of hard work. Hopefully the talk of working together across party lines holds true for both parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanMuir View Post
ABC News has had some spot-on commentary tonight.

I especially like how they're qualifying Romneys loss as a rejection of broader GOP policy and ideals and that if the GOP tries to hang this loss around Romneys neck, they are rejecting the soul-searching that needs to occur during the next four years.
The GOP cannot keep alienating latino voters, young female voters, and gay voters, and expect to win a national election. That time has passed. We'll see if they adapt to the times.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:21 AM   #280
Zombie Acorn
macrumors 65816

If America gave Bush 8 years, Obama deserves the same I guess. I'm looking forward to 4 years of the status quo.
Zombie Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:23 AM   #281
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Spades View Post
I actually liked the tone and candor of Romney's concession speech. He seemed more like a human than he has in awhile - I remember that candor from his MA gubernatorial run. I'm sure it's an incredibly difficult thing to do after years of hard work. Hopefully the talk of working together across party lines holds true for both parties.

The GOP cannot keep alienating latino voters, young female voters, and gay voters, and expect to win a national election. That time has passed. We'll see if they adapt to the times.
This. (And I agree his concession speech was the most real thing I've heard from him ever).

My vote ALWAYS goes to the candidate who supports equal rights. The Bible states that "a house divided amongst itself cannot stand" yet politicians try and use religion to divide the nation and gain votes, and it hasn't worked for them this time.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:26 AM   #282
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Acorn View Post
If America gave Bush 8 years, Obama deserves the same I guess. I'm looking forward to 4 years of the status quo.
I dont think youve payed enough attention.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
This. (And I agree his concession speech was the most real thing I've heard from him ever).

My vote ALWAYS goes to the candidate who supports equal rights. The Bible states that "a house divided amongst itself cannot stand" yet politicians try and use religion to divide the nation and gain votes, and it hasn't worked for them this time.
ALmost enough to make someone Gnotist.

However basing your life off political discourse is not wise.
MorphingDragon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:28 AM   #283
tninety
macrumors regular

We did it, guys! Ron Paul has been elected President!

Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:32 AM   #284
roxxette
Banned

Obamacare
roxxette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:33 AM   #285
APlotdevice
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tninety View Post
We did it, guys! Ron Paul has been elected President!

Ah jeeze, those pro marijuana laws must already be having an effect!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:33 AM   #286
MorphingDragon
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to MorphingDragon
MorphingDragon is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:45 AM   #287
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

I've been posting on Facebook a lot and my friends agree with the sentiment here: Republicans need to change. You can't win with the white male vote. You need to be accepting of people. You can't call people out on being "RINOs." You can't be against gay marriage. You can't be speaking about illegal immigrants as anything less than human beings. You can't write off 47% of the country just because they disagree with you.

Unfortunately for them I have no idea who can lead them forward with that movement. They have no one. None of the failed candidates work. Tonight's results from everything from President to Senate to Congress to referendums are all going progressive. The first openly gay senator was elected, and from Wisconsin! Republicans need to redefine the party and fast. Teabaggers cost them votes. Extremism is NOT the answer!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:50 AM   #288
Mord
macrumors G4

It's nice breathing a sigh of relief to that news, nice too seeing my facebook feed list friends in Maryland announce their engagement, nice that the states are going to challenge insane federal drug laws.

While the world still has problems it's nice to avoid Romney induced catastrophe and for a little while even have a little hope.
Mord is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:51 AM   #289
Sydde
macrumors 68000

I think this is sufficient to be able to say

Refudiated!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:55 AM   #290
Heilage
macrumors 68030

I wonder if this will make the GOP get their act together and stop with theocratic and obstructionist policies.

I'm perfectly happy with one party having differences of opinion when it comes to economics and many general aspects of running government, but as long as I've been paying attention to US politics it has been infested with religious agendas (like the gag rule in foreign, and it shouldn't ba allowed to stand.

I think that if they do, moderates are likely to return to the GOP.
Heilage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:55 AM   #291
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Mission accomplished.
likemyorbs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:57 AM   #292
chrono1081
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mord View Post
It's nice breathing a sigh of relief to that news, nice too seeing my facebook feed list friends in Maryland announce their engagement, nice that the states are going to challenge insane federal drug laws.

While the world still has problems it's nice to avoid Romney induced catastrophe and for a little while even have a little hope.
I wish my friends in PA could do that (The engagement that is.)
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:59 AM   #293
vega07
macrumors 65816

Great acceptance speech! It made me believe that the next four years might not be so bad.

Then I remember the last two years...
vega07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:03 AM   #294
Queen of Spades
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega07 View Post
Great acceptance speech!
He really is a gifted orator. I am also in awe of his energy. I'm exhausted just watching the coverage, and he's got a lot of work ahead of him. Thankfully, the country is in good hands.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrono1081 View Post
I wish my friends in PA could do that (The engagement that is.)
Still against the law in California, too. But the dominos are falling. It's a matter of time, now.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:10 AM   #295
Andeavor
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscuber9000 View Post
I've been posting on Facebook a lot and my friends agree with the sentiment here: Republicans need to change. You can't win with the white male vote. You need to be accepting of people. You can't call people out on being "RINOs." You can't be against gay marriage. You can't be speaking about illegal immigrants as anything less than human beings. You can't write off 47% of the country just because they disagree with you.
I can't agree with you any more. That is all.
Andeavor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:17 AM   #296
Huntn
macrumors 604

It's over! ...at least for a couple of days. ; )
While half the country voted for Romney, the Republicans lost because their leadership is out of touch with mainstream views. If you consider recent ideological expressions, GOP leaders appear to be not only anti-abortion, but also anti-contraception and anti-women. If their primary is a reflection of their politics, look at the collection of clowns that stepped forward to run. I saw no respectable moderate candidate who had a fighting chance in their primary. That must change. I want it to change. I want to see a viable two party system.

As far as Romney, I believe that if he was not such a chameleon, if he had, from the start, portrayed himself as graciously as he did in his concession speech, if he had not turned himself into a pretzel trying to prove how conservative he was to a right wing base who really did not like him, he would have been a much more palatable candidate to mainstream America. Ironically, if he had done this from the start, he most likely would not have been chosen in the primaries. Maybe the Republicans will take note, right wing is not mainstream. There has to be much more thought about "we" versus "me" if we are to continue to succeed as a country. I'm thinking of an economy that grows for all os us, not just the privileged few.
Huntn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:19 AM   #297
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroony View Post
I can't agree with you any more. That is all.
I only watched a few minutes of Fox News tonight and saw Karl Rove say that it was Obama who needed to move more toward the center.

It is amazing to me how anyone could think this to be true.

It's the conservatives who need to move towards the center. This election was proof of that.

And when they do, I'll be there to welcome them back.
citizenzen is online now   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:23 AM   #298
dscuber9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I only watched a few minutes of Fox News tonight and saw Karl Rove say that it was Obama who needed to move more toward the center.
Did he really say that? Obama won re-election, and did it easily. Won every single swing state in fact! To think THAT party is the one that needs changing is denial, plain and simple.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:26 AM   #299
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscuber9000 View Post
Did he really say that? Obama won re-election, and did it easily. Won every single swing state in fact! To think THAT party is the one that needs changing is denial, plain and simple.
Mitch McConnell just put out a statement that pretty much said the same thing.

These guys are going to have a hard road ahead of them and if the republicans don't come back to the center the next mid-term election very well may see a 60 vote majority in the senate.
Peace is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:31 AM   #300
mcdj
macrumors 604

Obama is one hell of a speaker. That victory speech will be remembered for a very long time.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues