Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_5_box_100.jpg
The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple has sold through its initial stocks of the iPhone 5 in India following the device's launch there on Friday, but the company was said to have delivered only 10,000-15,000 units for the first wave of sales.
"We were sold out within 24 hours of launch. It's all gone," said Himanshu Chakrawarti, chief executive of The MobileStore Ltd., a retailer that stocks iPhones and which has 900 outlets across India. Apple Inc.'s latest iPhone officially launched in India on Friday, more than a month after it hit major markets elsewhere.
Analysts are expecting Apple to deliver roughly 100,000 iPhone 5 units to India in the first month of availability, jumping to 200,000 by the end of the year.

While those shipment numbers pale in comparison to those seen other populous countries, they do represent a substantial jump over the 50,000 units sent to India in the June quarter, a boost due not only to the introduction of the new hardware but also improved distribution.

(Thanks, Rounak!)

Article Link: Apple Sells Out of Meager iPhone 5 Launch Stocks in India

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Woah, that's a short supply. Are they hoping everybody ordered online, or are they just that low in stock?

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Lots of hoarding!

All supplies are sold out. There are no iPhones for sale in any shops. I purchased 64 GB for $ 1100 and it was very few and rare here.

----------

I watched a guy purchasing 16 GB 100 numbers! I mean the demand is insane!

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
There are over 1.2 billion people in India, but Apple is planning on sending only handsets 200,000 for the entire year? I guess Indians really hate iOS...

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
iPhone 5 Black 16 GB is easily available at many electronic outlets since day one. I checked it today too. But other varients are still not available & definately demand is insane.

----------

There are over 1.2 billion people in India, but Apple is planning on sending only handsets 200,000 for the entire year? I guess Indians really hate iOS...

All iPhone so far are sold at price more than 700 $(base model price) and not at 200 $ like in US but people are still ready to buy. How many people in US will buy it at 700 $ & how many people in India will go for it if iPhone is 200$ ?

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
iPhone 5 Black 16 GB is easily available at many electronic outlets since day one. I checked it today too. But other varients are still not available & definately demand is insane.

----------

All iPhone so far are sold at price more than 700 $(base model price) and not at 200 $ like in US but people are still ready to buy. How many people in US will buy it at 700 $ & how many people in India will go for it if iPhone is 200$ ?

Actually the price is $836 for a 16gb according to today's exchange rate.
And one basic thing. Price is US is under contract. U pay $200 upfront and then 24 months the rental is over 60-70$ ( this is the base plan)
So basically its much more expensive in USA then its in india at the end of two years.
Ahh well. Ignorance ;)

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
The ignorance here is astounding. While these numbers are not great compared to sales of more developed countries, the sell-out here of is indicative of a growing opportunity for Apple in Asian countries. Many in India still use Nokia Phones based off the Symbian operating system but now that Symbian has been shuttered, Apple has an opportunity to come in and steal customers who are looking for more advanced smartphones. This is a good sign of progress for Apple in India and sales are likely to increase in the coming years as India grows.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
It's not like everyone can afford these phones.

Yes, they have a billion people.
Yes, Apple is supply constraint right now. But some people just can't afford it or choose to buy it at this ridiculous price.

To give you an idea, I was in India for a wedding. One of the servants never saw an iphone before (mesmorized). He asked how much it was, I didn't want to tell him, but I did.

It equaled his yearly income. Why do you think Nokia phones are still popular there? It takes time, but it will be reach everyone.

princetanha

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Apple just dont care about non-US or non-europ customers ! Samsung got a really good suppliers here in middle east and Samsung phones sells like a charm &they release them here before even US , and the apple iphone 5 wich was released in Sep is not here yet (what a shame ) everyone here got a note 2 now ! Its everywhere ..

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
The ignorance here is astounding. While these numbers are not great compared to sales of more developed countries, the sell-out here of is indicative of a growing opportunity for Apple in Asian countries. Many in India still use Nokia Phones based off the Symbian operating system but now that Symbian has been shuttered, Apple has an opportunity to come in and steal customers who are looking for more advanced smartphones. This is a good sign of progress for Apple in India and sales are likely to increase in the coming years as India grows.

yeah but its negligible

rak007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
largest population on the planet but what % of that population can actually afford an iphone?

As someone mentioned the price in US is 200$ with contact while in India there is no contract system so people have to always shell out full price for the phone which is substantially higher than the US Unlocked price. This is the first hurdle.
Also being a very populous country does not mean everyone is rich. Even a salary of 1000$ a month is considered very very good in India. The reason being the price of commodities and services. In US one pays 100$ for electricity per month while in India the bill hardly crosses 20$.
The comparison of population and ability to afford is irrelevant.
Btw Samsung is dominant in India with S3 and Note 2 selling left right and center across India.

destiny909090

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2012
It's not like everyone can afford these phones.

Yes, they have a billion people.
Yes, Apple is supply constraint right now. But some people just can't afford it or choose to buy it at this ridiculous price.

To give you an idea, I was in India for a wedding. One of the servants never saw an iphone before (mesmorized). He asked how much it was, I didn't want to tell him, but I did.

It equaled his yearly income. Why do you think Nokia phones are still popular there? It takes time, but it will be reach everyone.

I saw a Lots of people In india Took a 64 gb for 2000 $ On the launch Date when it was out ,and in grey market it sold like hot cakes.

http://www.youtube.com/jimmykimmellive

Hope this is fair enough lol

----------

largest population on the planet but what % of that population can actually afford an iphone?

Make the Price same Like USA,it will break records
:D

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

It definitely puts things in perspective...

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
And one basic thing. Price is US is under contract. U pay $200 upfront and then 24 months the rental is over 60-70$ ( this is the base plan)
So basically its much more expensive in USA then its in india at the end of two years.
Ahh well. Ignorance ;)

so... cell and data service is free in India then?

...ignorance

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
Ahh well. Ignorance ;)

Not quite! Even in India when you get iPhone you also pay for Monthly Plans (most of the iPhone buyers) which is averages around $20-30 Per Month with limited data plans and limited voice plans.

hrishidev

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2007
@Abs_p

All iPhone (release in India) so far are sold at price more than 700 $(base model price). There is lot of fluctuation in USD-INR exchange rate last three years. Thats why I came to magic figure of $700. I hope this makes it clear Also $836 is more than $700. :D

----------

Not quite! Even in India when you get iPhone you also pay for Monthly Plans (most of the iPhone buyers) which is averages around $20-30 Per Month with limited data plans and limited voice plans.
just to add to it. These data plans are not in LTE or 3G technology offered in developed countries :mad:

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
@Abs_p

All iPhone (release in India) so far are sold at price more than 700 $(base model price). There is lot of fluctuation in USD-INR exchange rate last three years. Thats why I came to magic figure of $700. I hope this makes it clear Also $836 is more than $700. :D

----------

just to add to it. These data plans are not in LTE or 3G technology offered in developed countries :mad:

Nopes nopes nopes.
836 is according to current exchange rates.
When INR is stronger then dollar ie when the exchange rates are the usual 45-50 rupees per $ then the amount goes over 900 dollars.
Your $700 dollar figure would be apt when the dollar rates are over 60 :p

Regarding the plans for iphone by airtel and other providers. Agreed they are over priced.
But i dont think anyone forces u to pay for them?
I use my iPhone on vodafone mumbai circle.
Below is the cost i pay per month for using iphone.
so... cell and data service is free in India then?

...ignorance

Normal prepaid call rates are 50p/min.
Now lets calculate. 1 USD = 54INR.
Now that gives u 108 minutes per dollar.

The plan i use gives me call rates at 30p/min
That means i get 150+ minutes of talk time per dollar.

Talking about data. A 2g data plan costs 2 dollars for a gb. 3 dollars for 2gb.
My 3g connection (2gb) costs me 450 rs = 8.3 dollars.
2gb connection for 2gb is 150 rs = 3 dollars approx
3000 texts = 89 INR = 1.6 dollars.

1 use 2gb of 3g data and 2gb of 2g data a month= 600 INR = 8.3 + 3 = $ 11.3 approx
My monthly talktime is around 600 minutes = 200 INR = $ 4

Total cost = 600 + 200 + 89 = Rs. 889 = $16.5
My iPhone 5 ( verizon :p ) cost me 749 + tax = 800 approx (exchange rate was 52.50) =Rs. 42000approx.

So at the end of 2 years my cost will be 42000 + ( 890*24 = 21360 ) =Rs. 63360 = $1166.5 ( This is according to current exchange rates)

Cheap huh?

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
I have paid $1101 for 64 GB

Today the exchange Rate is USD = 54 Rupees

I have paid Rs 59.500 for my 64 GB iPhone 5 = $1101.

iPhone 5 (16 GB) - $842
iPhone 5 (32 GB) - $972
iPhone 5 (64 GB) - $1101

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.