Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hello there,

I have some questions for anyone that has already tried windows 8 in a 15"rMBP.

- Is it any different that win 7 regarding the laptop resolution? (2880x1800 in windows 7 is small, any other resolution doesn't look as well, has any of this changed?)

- Are all bootcamp drivers compatible with windows 8?

- Do you like it/ dislike it? Why?

EDIT: also has anyone tried paralles 8 with win 8?

Thanks.

SpitUK

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
East Yorkshire, UK
I use Windows 8 with Parallels 8 and it works great, very fast and no problems so far. Here is an actual 1:1 screenshot with it running....

screenshot20121106at195.png

Last edited by a moderator:

reery

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Hello there,

I have some questions for anyone that has already tried windows 8 in a 15"rMBP.

- Is it any different that win 7 regarding the laptop resolution? (2880x1800 in windows 7 is small, any other resolution doesn't look as well, has any of this changed?)

- Are all bootcamp drivers compatible with windows 8?

- Do you like it/ dislike it? Why?

EDIT: also has anyone tried paralles 8 with win 8?

Thanks.

- Win7 with 2880x1800 and 150% scaling looks quite good. Most software looks almost like on OSX with retina support, but some programs are somehow blur because of custom UIs - still looking better than non-retina apps on OS X.

- Some drivers are not compatible. HFS+ driver could be risky, audio over HDMI and optical audio are not supported. Overall there is no official driver for the system and your laptop could just display errors without any reason.

- I like Win7 on the rMBP albeit there is a bug (since Vista) which shows the taskbar always on top when 150% scaling is active (in full resolution programs).
And I had problems with Win8 which lead me to delete the whole drive and to recover ML from scratch. So I'm staying away from Win8 until official drivers are out.

Drask

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Do you mean resolution?

I mean in win7 if you enable DPI to 150% it looks great, but some programs doesn't support that and look terrible. What I mean is if you know this is fixed by windows 8 or not. (So far I heard windows 8 now handles all text and not the programs)

----------

- Win7 with 2880x1800 and 150% scaling looks quite good. Most software looks almost like on OSX with retina support, but some programs are somehow blur because of custom UIs - still looking better than non-retina apps on OS X.

- Some drivers are not compatible. HFS+ driver could be risky, audio over HDMI and optical audio are not supported. Overall there is no official driver for the system and your laptop could just display errors without any reason.

- I like Win7 on the rMBP albeit there is a bug (since Vista) which shows the taskbar always on top when 150% scaling is active (in full resolution programs).
And I had problems with Win8 which lead me to delete the whole drive and to recover ML from scratch. So I'm staying away from Win8 until official drivers are out.

Thanks for your reply, I already have win7 in my computer, I code in Visual studio and somethings look fuzzy with DPI scaling. Not saying everything, actually almost everything look great, besides few applications such as steam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.