Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Nov 6, 2012, 10:07 AM   #1
Chauncebrook
macrumors newbie

FaceTime spying on me?

I never use FaceTime on my MacBook but I noticed the green webcam light turned on and FaceTime was running in the background (it turned itself on!)? I quickly shut it off and didn't even notice any video up on the screen. I'm just wondering is there a way to check to see if this was innocent or something more nefarious going on?! Should I look for something in the log files to give me a clue?

Last edited by Chauncebrook; Nov 6, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Chauncebrook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:17 AM   #2
yjchua95
macrumors 68020

Location: Queenstown, NZ and Melbourne, VIC, Australia (formerly KL, Malaysia)
Send a message via Skype™ to yjchua95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncebrook View Post
I never use FaceTime on my MacBook but I noticed the green webcam light turned on and FaceTime was running in the background (it turned itself on!)? I quickly shut it off and didn't even notice any video up on the screen. I'm just wondering is there a way to check to see if this was innocent or something more nefarious going on?! Should I look for something in the log files to give me a clue?
I have experienced this myself too, although FaceTime was never running in the background.

I have resorted to taping a short length of opaque cellophane tape over the camera in case some peeping tom is spying on me.

Cheers mate.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:20 AM   #3
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Duck tape it up and try and keep quiet. Cook will soon become uninterested of you computer endeavors and will move onto another Apple customer.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:35 AM   #4
Chauncebrook
macrumors newbie

Ha! Yeah, I actually did that but I was hoping I could dig into the computer and figure out what triggered it? I spent some time looking at the log files but just don't know enough about what I'm looking at! If nothing else I will continue my efforts and use this if nothing else as way to learn more about these sorts of things! Thanks for the replies though.
Chauncebrook is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X