Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
Exaggeration is in full swing around here, I argued with several who insisted that "horrid" was accurate and not an exaggeration. "Horrid."

I'm almost 100% certain that if there were no reporting of screen resolutions and people were ignorant of the concept (which much of the public actually probably is), that none of the people running around saying "it's the worst screen ever, it burned my retinas to look at it and now I'm blind for life" (how was that?<giggle>) would ever be so negative. Just like a bunch of grease monkeys standing around staring at a neighbour's car engine decrying it because it's "only got a 2 barrel carb" (and of course completely ignoring any other details of the car, like the carb is the *only* feature that actually matters).

It's a good thing the girlfriends and wives of these negative nellies don't run around comparing their features in the same way! :eek:

Non retina screens killed my father and raped my mother...

Apple with its marketing gave everyone the expectation that premium devices will have retina displays. Period. Have you seen commercials or advertisements about every other Apple product? What do they predominantly feature?

I think it will be interesting to see what the version 2 mini brings to the table. Will it bring a retina display using components already available? Or will it be non retina in order to differentiate the mini from it's big brother and keep it from eating into it's sales?

If Tim or Jony goes on record and states "While we all love retina displays, we couldn't manufacture a mini using components available today in a form factor that we find acceptable.", I'll accept it and move on.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...If Tim or Jony goes on record and states "While we all love retina displays, we couldn't manufacture a mini using components available today in a form factor that we find acceptable.", I'll accept it and move on.

Are you really not going to be able to find closure without a public announcement?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
You can still see the pixels on the mini if you look closely, but the thing that shows most in the photo is the touch grid. Not true of the iPad 2.
d0Eke.jpg
All of the replies and you're the only one to pony up a comparison. Nice job.

From all the bitching I would have thought this was way worse than it is. I would happily use this device and I would not feel the need to utter the words, "it is nice for what it is." What is it? A $329 device? Yes. I don't get the whole statement at all. It is like saying that this is a budget iPad and therefore, it is nice for what it is. Although I don't see why people are so doomsday about the display, I don't think there needs to be an apologist attitude. This tablet is priced higher than many in its class today. People should be fully satisfied at the very least.

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Just got a chance to look at it in person at work. THIS is the reading device I've been waiting for. The screen looks far better than I thought it would be from the way people around here are talking.

I can't wait to get a decent offer on my iPad 3 and make the switch :p

Same here, when I actually saw the screen of the Mini in person I was very pleasantly surprised. I was expecting something virtually unreadable from how people were complaining.

Apple neglected a Retina display in order to make the device thinner, lighter, smaller, and less expensive. I'd gladly take all of those advantages over a slightly crisper screen.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Played with it yesterday and it's too big.

I thought 7.9 inches would be a bit too much for my pocket to handle, and it was. They should have gone for 7 inches.

Size matters.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Played with it yesterday and it's too big.
I never tried nor expected a 7" tablet to fit in my pockets. Heck the DroidX was ungainly large in my pants pocket so I think a Samsung Note or anything large is not really feasible for pants pockets.

My iPad mini fits nicely in my coat pocket and when the weather warms up, I'll have my backpack.

Size does matter and the mini is small enough to have in my coat pocket but not large enough that is awkward to use on the subway

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Too big? Get an iPod touch.

There is a difference between a 7" tablet and an iPod Touch.

I never tried nor expected a 7" tablet to fit in my pockets. Heck the DroidX was ungainly large in my pants pocket so I think a Samsung Note or anything large is not really feasible for pants pockets.

My iPad mini fits nicely in my coat pocket and when the weather warms up, I'll have my backpack.

Size does matter and the mini is small enough to have in my coat pocket but not large enough that is awkward to use on the subway

Fair enough - I was just really hoping it would fit in my own jacket pocket, but it doesn't, just from a portability angle. I don't carry a backpack and women have handbags, so I was just hoping it wouldn't be quite so wide.

Betting a lot of other men feel the same way, but naturally it is horses for courses. Apple can't please everyone.

simply amazing

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2011
just picked one up yesterday. i love the form factor. i dont have any retina devices, but would love this to be retina. probably would just give this to the lady and stick to watching video on my ipad 2

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
It's not the negativity so much (though some delight in it), it's the use of exaggeration and hyperbole that is ridiculous. Also, the number of people that didn't even check out the device before buying it I find very strange - how many people would walk onto a car lot, buy a car, drive it off and around the block and then take it back and demand all their money back? Obviously a car is different, but would they if they could? Is that responsible consumerism?

Yeah, perhaps Arn should rename this site, "MacFacts." ;)

For most it was impossible to see prior to purchasing.
Also, alot of people compare in-store, but it's difficult to see the differences there (same as shopping for a television). Try comparing iPad Mini/2 to iPad 3/4 in-store vs. in-home. Totally different.

Last edited:

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Ok. After all the bad reviews of how the screen is on the iPad Mini I went to the Apple Store to see for myself. Wow! The screen looks much better than I thought. The iPad Mini is soooo light compared to the new iPad. I went ahead and bought a 32GB iPad Mini. :D

Dick Whitman

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
That has to be the case because I've been seriously wondering why there are so many people saying the quality is awful. The first thing I did was pull up pictures on flickr to see how they looked. I was worried at first because some pictures looked fuzzy but I realize it was just a lag and after a second or so the pictures adjust accordingly and look great.

Uh this is so very annoying. Apple has expanded larger and quicker than it's capable of managing. They have succeeded in design but now need to do the same for quality control. I hate the game of swapping out devices. All I know is that the screen on the Mini I played with at my Apple store looked more than acceptable. Text appeared sharp and crisp, maybe not retina quality, but I remember things looking clear. If this is not how it is for the Mini I receive, or if I have to deal with any of that yellow tint nonsense, I will certainly be exchanging.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
For most it was impossible to see prior to purchasing.
Also, alot of people compare in-store, but it's difficult to see the differences there (same as shopping for a television). Try comparing iPad Mini/2 to iPad 3/4 in-store vs. in-home. Totally different.

Are you their appointed one, their chief rationaliser?<wry grin>

I think it's people taking advantage of Apple's great customer service (which is unarguably great), and then coming on here and trashing Apple and its product after taking advantage of something that Apple's high prices enable (i.e. easy returns)?

I think that stinks, to be quite honest, and as I said, I think it's irresponsible consumerism, and further, I hate paying for this in the prices *I* and *others* pay, just so people can be impatient and lazy and take advantage of these offers.

Ok. After all the bad reviews of how the screen is on the iPad Mini I went to the Apple Store to see for myself. Wow! The screen looks much better than I thought. The iPad Mini is soooo light compared to the new iPad. I went ahead and bought a 32GB iPad Mini. :D

Congrats on your new purchase, hope you're enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying my 32GB mini. BTW, if you like games, The Room is excellent, not specific for the mini, but all games with this form factor I think work so well, I can't stop playing with it!

I bought a stylus for mine, but it's not as great as I thought - I expected I'd need better precision than my finger, but it appears that sometimes my fingers is better than the stylus - may try and stylus with a more pointed tip.

Last edited:

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Are you their appointed one, their chief rationaliser?<wry grin>

I think it's people taking advantage of Apple's great customer service (which is unarguably great), and then coming on here and trashing Apple and its product after taking advantage of something that Apple's high prices enable (i.e. easy returns)?

I think that stinks, to be quite honest, and as I said, I think it's irresponsible consumerism, and further, I hate paying for this in the prices *I* and *others* pay, just so people can be impatient and lazy and take advantage of these offers.

This is personal experience. Apple chooses to release new products before having adequate stock, but encourages pre-orders sight unseen. A generous return policy with this business model is necessary and increases sales.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.