Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Thanks Miss La Cie ;) ,

I see you have 3 different colors (Black, deep purple, deep green) but why stores are showing and selling ONLY the orange models?
We have to pay extra money ($14.99) to get those colors because it sold only in orange. If we make an order with specific color, I'm afraid it will take long time (USB2 speed) before the order arrived.:confused:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10228

===================================
You cannot order a specific color.
For $14.99, you get the set of 3 extra sleeves, one of each color. The cost is very small.

These sleeves are for the older, thicker Rugged drive. Not for the Rugged mini, or the Rugged mini Thunderbolt.

How to tell the mini from the thicker, older Rugged?

There is a cross hatch pattern on the aluminum part of the drive, while the mini is smooth with no pattern.

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks Miss La Cie ;) ,

I see you have 3 different colors (Black, deep purple, deep green) but why stores are showing and selling ONLY the orange models?
We have to pay extra money ($14.99) to get those colors because it sold only in orange. If we make an order with specific color, I'm afraid it will take long time (USB2 speed) before the order arrived.:confused:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10228

===================================

Hi Clint007,

g4cube is correct that the extra sleeves come in a set of three. However, if you're located in Montreal, the price for one set of three sleeves is $24.99 plus shipping and handling. Please visit Canada's country page to place your order.

Thanks,
-TL, LaCie

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Hi Clint007,

g4cube is correct that the extra sleeves come in a set of three. However, if you're located in Montreal, the price for one set of three sleeves is $24.99 plus shipping and handling. Please visit Canada's country page to place your order.

Thanks,
-TL, LaCie
The sleeves are 67% more expensive in Canada? Preposterous! And that's before shipping, handling and tax. :rolleyes:

Get with the times, LaCie! The Canadian dollar has been above par for the better part of a year now.

Last edited:

Fandongo

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2011
Space
The sleeves are 67% more expensive in Canada? Preposterous! And that's before shipping, handling and tax. :rolleyes:

Get with the times, LaCie! The Canadian dollar has been above par for the better part of a year now.

Sad times. I loved crossing over to Windsor to check out "cheaper" hockey gear! :D

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
I'm sold (on the 120GB version). Finally a relatively affordable way to put a decent speed external and hopefully bootable drive on my 2011 MBA. But any reason these are so difficult to get hold of, at least in the UK?

The LaCie site says out of stock. Every day (well, the last 2 days) I tell it to notify me and every day in the early hours (~2am) it says they're in stock again, but by the time I get up and see it (~8am) they're gone. Are they really that popular or is there only one made per day or something..?

I note that they're also sold through Amazon, for £20 less, but the dispatch is "within 1-3 months", that's a long time :eek:

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Interested to see the actual SSD used within the drive........is it a lower performer, hence the price drop?

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Interested to see the actual SSD used within the drive........is it a lower performer, hence the price drop?

Wondering that as well. Pretty good price if it's a decent SSD, considering the Thunderbolt tax (thanks Apple for having restricted the old MBA to the Betamax interface)... but it'd really need Anandtech to get his mits on it to figure out if it's on par with something like a Samsung 830 (which I doubt, to be fair)

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Wondering that as well. Pretty good price if it's a decent SSD, considering the Thunderbolt tax (thanks Apple for having restricted the old MBA to the Betamax interface)... but it'd really need Anandtech to get his mits on it to figure out if it's on par with something like a Samsung 830 (which I doubt, to be fair)

If there was a Sammy 830 in it I'd buy one straight away! Lol

On a side note, does TRIM need to be enabled on external SSDs? If so, how is it done?

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Hehe yeah I very much doubt it. Wouldn't mind knowing how good it is in comparison though.

It'd be best to have TRIM, since it's still SSD. I imagine it'd "Just Work" on OS X. Technically Thunderbolt is just basically a form of external PCI-Express, I believe, so same way as any other drive.
Not sure if it'd be disrupted when connected via USB3 or not.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I got my 120 SSD from Pixmania.co.uk next day delivery. Im going to use it as a boot drive. Ill post back if its any good.

g4cube

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2003
Apple Store online has them in stock in the US.

I believe it is a Micron M4 SSD, as the Micron is used in the new Little Big Disk with SATA III drives.

Alternative is to "wake up early" or "stay up late" in the UK

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Only the spinning disc version on the UK Apple store.

Amazon have now updated to "out of stock, no idea when it'll be back, if you order we'll tell you when it changes"

Pixmania out of stock, they're estimating 15th Nov.

I have a feeling the supposed stock overnight at the LaCie site is more likely a glitch when they do their daily stock status run.

Rare things! Amazon has it on offer so I may pre-order and see what happens.

LaCieTech

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Cloudane,

The 120GB and 256GB SSD will be back in stock next week in Europe.

If you have any questions, please contact our UK sales department at sales.uk@lacie.com.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

-TL, LaCie

Cloudane

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2007
Sweet Apple Acres
Arrived today - yay!

For the curious, crystalbenchmark results
Seems pretty decent really. It's no Samsung 830 that's for sure, but in many ways faster than the 80GB Intel X25-M G2 on my desktop at least... 4K random is a little weak, but let's be honest, still a lot better than a spinning disk!

cdmark-lacie120.PNG

Now figuring out how to run Windows (8) from it without having a 20GB internal partition. Think I have it sussed...

Last edited:

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
What I don't get is why make a thunderbolt product with only 1 port. It's made to be daisy chained, my buddy has a 2011 mbp and he's looking for a fast hd but the cheaper thunderbolt drives aren't an option because he hooks his display into the 1 tb port and he doesn't have a tb display.

nuube

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2012
Exactly. Maybe a power requirment but really why only one thunderbolt port.?

Also why such poor Thunderbolt implementation?
365 Mb/s performance is so poor, not even close to SATA III specification and this is Intel Thunderbolt ? Ok so it's bus powered, still should be capable of 500 Mb/s especially if the SSD is capable of higher performance

Last edited:

Jimmdean

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2007
It's not the Thunderbolt - it's the SATA-to-Thunderbolt interface controller. They are even newer than Thunderbolt itself - just look at how few are actually on the market. Right now (at best) these controllers allow speeds slightly faster than USB3 - they (Lacie/Promise) mostly get around that by RAIDing up a couple of the controllers and therefor doubling the speed. It's an imperfect solution right now, but way better than what we had before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.