Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in July, Apple revealed during developer testing of iOS 6 that it would be launching new icloud.com email addresses for users of the service, with former MobileMe members using me.com or mac.com address also receiving equivalent icloud.com addresses.

Those new icloud.com addresses have been rolling out gradually over the past several months for former MobileMe members, and Apple now appears to have completed that transition, sending out an email to former MobileMe members notifying them of the new email address option.
All new iCloud Mail accounts now come with an @icloud.com email address. As an existing user, we'd like to offer you this new address as well. We have reserved [MobileMe user name]@icloud.com for you, and you can now use this address with your iOS devices and computers by following these simple instructions.

If you prefer, you can continue to use your current email address just as you always have.

No matter which address you use, you'll continue to receive all your mail, whether it's sent to your @me.com, @mac.com, or @icloud.com address.
icloud_com_email_address.jpg

Article Link: Apple Notifying Former MobileMe Members of New iCloud.com Email Address Options

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
Apple are not a very nice company, so I expect the use of @me accounts to be stopped eventually.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Ugh. No thanks. @me is just fine!

Fair warning, Apple, that if you ever force me to use 'iCloud' as my email I'll be jumping back to G-Mail.

My thoughts as well. I was one of the lucky ones who got an @me address and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Agreed!

Ugh. No thanks. @me is just fine!

Fair warning, Apple, that if you ever force me to use 'iCloud' as my email I'll be jumping back to G-Mail.

+1
Totally agree.

I started with .mac and the switch to .me was a pain. Also it's just getting confusing.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I made the switch from MobileMe to iCloud...I use aliases for work and business. Now I have @me and @iCloud for all of those. Apparently Apple wants me to have TONS of @domains.

This...is...annoying. (that's EIGHT unique addresses for two @domains for my ONE iCloud account).

Crazy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 9.58.08 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-11-07 at 9.58.08 AM.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Apple are not a very nice company, so I expect the use of @me accounts to be stopped eventually.
I wouldn't bet on it. Apple has allowed users to keep all their previous addresses, long before it was called iCloud (iTools, .Mac, MobileMe).

I still have an @mac.com address. I don't see them ever forcing me to get rid of it.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have an Apple ID that is a gmail address, and my iCloud email is my old hotmail address. Is there a way to change my iCloud account to the gmail address to match my Apple ID, or better yet, a way for me to create and use an @iCloud.com address for both?

Chrjy

macrumors 65816
May 19, 2010
UK
Confusing as hell! I seem to have 4 different email addresses via Apple, not sure how I managed that!

I'd rather they just merged.

Simmias

macrumors regular
May 22, 2010
I can't wait to switch from @me.com to @icloud.com. I've always hated the cutesy and narcissistic overtones of @me.com, and I'm not the only one. Every single one of my friends and family made fun of me when I switched from Gmail to an @me.com address. I always slightly cringe when giving it out to people.

I know the nature of this board is to complain about every little change, but I look forward to escaping the stigma of @me.com. iCloud at least has an obvious connection to Apple and doesn't have that embarrassing "look at me" ring of @me.com. And for those of you who still think @mac.com is cool, your email might as well be @middleagedcurmudgeon.com.

andyjam

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2008
Sydney, Australia
I made the switch from MobileMe to iCloud...I use aliases for work and business. Now I have @me and @iCloud for all of those. Apparently Apple wants me to have TONS of @domains.

This...is...annoying. (that's EIGHT unique @domains for my ONE iCloud account).

Crazy.

THIS. I signed on during the .mac era and now have 14 addresses that I have to flick through on my iPhone to find the one I now use the most. I wish I could either change the default address or hide the 12-13 that I rarely use...

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Weird, I never had MobileMe and i got this email as well. I've only had iCloud from the beginning....

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

This...is...annoying. (that's EIGHT unique @domains for my ONE iCloud account).

Crazy.

Curious, I only see two domains: me.com and icloud.com.

Anyway, I'll personally be using @icloud.com because I just don't seem to be able to avoid thinking of Windows Me when I see an @me.com email address. I'm hopeful that I'll forget someday...but that day ain't today so I'll gladly take the necessary avoidance measures in the meantime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.