Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:05 PM   #1
IKBest
macrumors member

Question Buying an iPad 3 or iPad mini

iPad 3 or iPad mini?

Since the iPad 3 is refurbished by Apple for $379, I have difficulty choosing between the iPad 3 and the iPad mini, I love the size of the mini but I feel like the pixel density will bother me. Thoughts?
IKBest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2
Breaking Good
macrumors 6502

My suggestion would be to buy the iPad 3 now. Then wait until after the holiday season to see what happens with the mini. The could release a mini 2 in the spring.

If they do you can sell the iPad 3 and get a mini2.
Breaking Good is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:25 PM   #3
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

iPad 3 16GB refurb is out of stock.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:36 PM   #4
palpatine
macrumors 68040

I'd go to the store and take a look. It bothers me, but doesn't bother others.

For me, the display is the whole point of an iPad, and the retina display is the first one on any device that I finally am satisfied using. I truly don't have a single complaint. I definitely wouldn't go back to the pixel density of a 2007 first generation iPod myself, but everyone has their priorities.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:44 PM   #5
TahoeDust
macrumors 6502

I had the same dilemma. After spending a good amount of time with a friends new mini and my roommates iPad 3, I ordered the 16gb refurb. It was because of the screen. It is not that the Mini's screen is not good, it is just that the retina is amazing. It really hit home when I picked up my iPhone 5 to make a call after using the mini for a while.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
They were back in stock earlier today. If I was him, I would keep checking. They have come into and gone out of stock at least 3 times in the last week that I know of.
TahoeDust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:15 PM   #6
spiralynth
macrumors regular

iPad 4 is spectacular. Speedy glory.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:40 PM   #7
IKBest
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad55 View Post
It was out of stock last night too, and they restocked today. I'm assuming there'll be more where that came from...
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:58 PM   #8
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Why you would buy an iPad mini and have very poor screen quality compared to the iPad 3 or 4. Myself and my wife compared both today using my iPad 3 and my wife said the iPad mini screen is "rubbish".

I compared the iPad 3 to the 4 and cannot see twice the performance not even the Apple Store staff could show me in real life the extra speed.

I would recommend paying a little extra and buy the iPad 4 and don't get hung up on the small amount of dollars extra you have to pay.
KiwiAdventure is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:59 PM   #9
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Why you would buy an iPad mini and have very poor screen quality compared to the iPad 3 or 4. Myself and my wife compared both today using my iPad 3 and my wife said the iPad mini screen is "rubbish".

I compared the iPad 3 to the 4 and cannot see twice the performance not even the Apple Store staff could show me in real life the extra speed.

I would recommend paying a little extra and buy the iPad 4 and don't get hung up on the small amount of dollars extra you have to pay.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:02 AM   #10
KiwiAdventure
macrumors regular

Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:15 AM   #11
BulkyCranium
macrumors member

You really needs to take Palpatine's advice and see one for yourself.

I think the form factor and the portability of the Mini is awesome.

I had an original iPad, then a Google Nexus 7. I loved the size of the Nexus 7, but it was always just a bit unfinished. The iPad was great too, but I ended up bringing a macbook air to meetings instead of the iPad, just because of the size.

But for portability and features I think they hit the mark with the mini. I don't have experience with a Retina iPad, but for me the size was the killer feature.

BTW, my eyes are almost 45 now, so Retina on my MBP is great, but when I am out and about without my reading glasses, then I can't tell the difference.
BulkyCranium is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:00 PM   #12
IKBest
macrumors member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAdventure View Post
I think I'm going to buy the baseline iPad 4.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:33 PM   #13
cperry2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKBest View Post
I think I'm going to buy the baseline iPad 4.
Excellent choice
cperry2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:51 PM   #14
token787
macrumors regular

Just buy the 4.
token787 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 09:30 PM   #15
Loyola
macrumors newbie

I just got a refurb iPad 3 and I am very happy with it. It is my very first iPad.

Kevin
Loyola is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:06 PM   #16
Bih85
macrumors newbie

Ipad mini is great. I have ipad 3 as well. But, I feel like I will be using my mini more. Form factor is great. Resolution doesn't bother me at all. Unless you are blind and you need to keep your ipad two inches in front of your eyes, you will not even notice it.
Bih85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:13 PM   #17
TahoeDust
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bih85 View Post
Unless you are blind and you need to keep your ipad two inches in front of your eyes, you will not even notice it.
That's a ridiculous statement. I am looking at them side by side at a normal using distance and the difference is obvious. You may be able to tollerate the Mini's display, but don't try to tell me most won't notice the difference.
TahoeDust is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:49 PM   #18
Bih85
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
That's a ridiculous statement. I am looking at them side by side at a normal using distance and the difference is obvious. You may be able to tollerate the Mini's display, but don't try to tell me most won't notice the difference.
For people just looking for their first ipad, they will be fine with resolution. If you are coming from ipad retina, yes you will notice difference.
Bih85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:48 AM   #19
volodymyrqa
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by palpatine View Post
I'd go to the store and take a look. It bothers me, but doesn't bother others.

For me, the display is the whole point of an iPad, and the retina display is the first one on any device that I finally am satisfied using. I truly don't have a single complaint. I definitely wouldn't go back to the pixel density of a 2007 first generation iPod myself, but everyone has their priorities.
I would prefer comfortable use + normal display over perfect display + heavy device...
volodymyrqa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:37 AM   #20
palpatine
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by volodymyrqa View Post
I would prefer comfortable use + normal display over perfect display + heavy device...
This makes sense to me. Everyone has their priorities, and it sounds like you know yourself well. In my case, though I would certainly like a lighter iPad, the iPad 3's weight has never bothered me in the slightest. I find that in my use case, at least, I almost never hold it.

It's propped on my chest in bed when I read at night, the exact same way the Kindle or a paperback would be, so no problems there.

During the day I use a bookstand (I recommend BookGem) to read with it, just as I would with a Kindle or even a paperback (I like to have my hands free to do other things while reading), so no problems there.

I also use the iPad with the Incase Origami Workstation, so no problems there either. And, it slips comfortably into the same man bag I'd be using to carry the iPad Mini. So, the only time I do notice the weight difference is walking around with it, and while every ounce counts, we're only talking about a few of them. I can live with it.
palpatine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:01 AM   #21
Broadus
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyola View Post
I just got a refurb iPad 3 and I am very happy with it. It is my very first iPad.

Kevin
Me, too. My refurb 32GB WiFi came in yesterday. I had bought a new 3rd gen. in August but was dissatisfied with the screen. This one is the same model and looks great. Plus, it is $130 less.
Broadus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:06 PM   #22
IKBest
macrumors member

Went to the apple store today, used the iPad mini and I love the size and the way it feels in my hands. Still unsure though
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:50 PM   #23
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiAdventure View Post

Why wouldn't you buy a 3 then if its nearly as good as a 4 and then SAVE money? Lord knows people could use some extra money these days....
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:04 PM   #24
thelead
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by IKBest View Post
Went to the apple store today, used the iPad mini and I love the size and the way it feels in my hands. Still unsure though
I played with one for an hour. I left without the mini, tried to purchase an iPad 4 (but it had dust under the screen, and so did the exchange before I decided to just return it altogether )

My impressions of the mini's screen: I could probably deal without the retina display but left really disappointed with the screen's low color saturation and contrast. That was the deal breaker for me.
thelead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:09 PM   #25
Bleak
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDust View Post
What's hilarious is that when the iPad 3 came out everyone was saying that the retina display was very disappointing and that they could barely tell the difference.
Bleak is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Tags
buying advice, ipad mini