Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 5, 2012, 03:43 PM   #1
elvis12
macrumors newbie

how to increase speed on 5 ghz network

Hi
So I have a new mba, atv2 and an airport extreme. I have created a 5 ghz network for these items only. I must say I was disappointed when using mirroring from my mba to atv while playing a 720p-video. I experienced lagging and some stops nīgo.

Any settings or so to speed this up? Or any way I can check the rate? What are your experiences with 720p-videoes? Would buying an atv3 help?

Thanks
elvis12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
waw74
macrumors 68020

chances are it's the mirroring, and not the network.

mirroring will never give you smooth playback as what you see on your screen. as the video card has to convert the whole image, and send it off to the aTV.

if you alt-click the wifi icon in the OSX title bar, you can see the connect speed. it's under transmit rate, the number is in Kb/s
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:06 PM   #3
gcmexico
macrumors 6502a

Same issue with me

I created 2 channels and it seems the 2ghz is way faster than the 5ghz...this is across the board not just mirroring...any suggestion would be great
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:10 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Qos.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 07:33 PM   #5
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcmexico View Post
I created 2 channels and it seems the 2ghz is way faster than the 5ghz...this is across the board not just mirroring...any suggestion would be great
2ghz goes through things (like walls) better than 5, so if there's a wall or two in the way, you could expect to see that.
waw74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:44 PM   #6
lostless
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
2ghz goes through things (like walls) better than 5, so if there's a wall or two in the way, you could expect to see that.
What he said. 5gz in my home network is faster, but I can barley get it to cover my home. If i just go outside (2 walls), the signal dies quite quickly. To get a bit of extra speed. Put the apple TV on the 2.4Ghz network and your MBA on the 5GHZ or visa versa. The bandwidth will almost double in theory, because they act as 2 separate wireless networks each with its full bandwidth. Its like having 2 wireless data "pipes". When putting everything on the 5Ghz, you share the bandwidth for both. So the data comes out of the mac book air to the router, then back out to the apple TV all using the same wireless "pipe". And the data can only go in 1 direction at a time.
lostless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:31 AM   #7
elvis12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostless View Post
What he said. 5gz in my home network is faster, but I can barley get it to cover my home. If i just go outside (2 walls), the signal dies quite quickly. To get a bit of extra speed. Put the apple TV on the 2.4Ghz network and your MBA on the 5GHZ or visa versa. The bandwidth will almost double in theory, because they act as 2 separate wireless networks each with its full bandwidth. Its like having 2 wireless data "pipes". When putting everything on the 5Ghz, you share the bandwidth for both. So the data comes out of the mac book air to the router, then back out to the apple TV all using the same wireless "pipe". And the data can only go in 1 direction at a time.
Wow, didn't know this! I'll try! Thanks!

Btw, the atv and aextreme are quite close to eachother -- would it help cabling the atv?
elvis12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:04 AM   #8
steve-p
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis12 View Post
Wow, didn't know this! I'll try! Thanks!

Btw, the atv and aextreme are quite close to eachother -- would it help cabling the atv?
Yes. ATV seems to give much more stable performance on wired connections in my experience. Even 200mbps powerline adapters work great when it's too far or too inconvenient for an ethernet cable. Also it's removing one device from the wireless network which helps free up bandwidth for other wireless devices.
steve-p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 06:06 PM   #9
JAT
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Qos.
From an Airport?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:06 AM   #10
gcmexico
macrumors 6502a

great suggestions and info

I tried the dual channels... but it was never stable...I decided to go back to automatic setting based on what was posted...working smoothly now no hiccups... put most of my devices on 2ghz....my iMac media center is on the 5gz
thanks guys!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater