Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJinTX

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2010
http://www.slashgear.com/ipad-mini-2-retina-display-tipped-already-in-pipeline-from-auo-07255958/. Thou ask thou shall receive looks like we'll be seeing this in around 12 months from now..

Wow, if this is already in the pipeline then maybe Apple has solved the power/battery/size issues already. Or at least they must be in the process of doing so. This is good news. I can easily make due with the non-retina version (if I ever actually find a mini to purchase), but will definitely consider this upgrade should it be released.

Thanks for the post!

aam07

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
This is great news! Lets see what processor they use.

Start saving your money now boys and girls!

About $30 per month and come November 2013 you'll have enough for a 16gb wifi Retina Mini.

About $40 per month for a 16gb LTE Retina Mini.

That's of course, if Apple keeps pricing the same.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Interesting they are beginning production this year in December. But says available Fall 2013. I know it's just another rumor and usually only 50% are right.

But "if" production starts this year maybe we can expect it at WWDC or March? I would love to see the hate here if it was available March and everyone already ponied up for their non-retina. But sooner the better!

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Misleading title

The retina iPad mini is NOT in production - allegedly suppliers are readying components for production to start in Q3 of 2013. No real surprise there - it remains to be seen if they can achieve the necessary yield to go ahead with production of the display.

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Highly doubt this is true. If it is then we're likely looking at another 6 months update :eek: Just to piss a load more customers off.

On a better note, it looks like Apple are set on staying with the 4:3 screen ratio. :)

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
Wish people would read past the headline before posting...

AU Optronics, which is one of Apple’s suppliers of 1024 x 768 panels for the current iPad mini, expects to begin mass producing 2048 x 1536 resolution 7.9-inch displays by the second half of 2013, DoNews reports, with eye-pleasing pixel density of 324 ppi.

So this rumour would have production quantities available in time for a roughly 12 month refresh around September / October 2013. It's not in production now and not expected for February / March 2013

And again, it's not JUST the display that's the problem, that's only one half of the power consumption puzzle. The other is the SoC and for that I strongly suspect that either TSMC's 20nm process needs to come on line or PowerVR Series 6 needs to be rolled out (possibly both).

Last edited:

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
I think apple should go Willy wonka style and just put 10% of the ipad minis out there in Retina mixed in with the regular ones, kinda like the golden ticket and make people buy multiple ipads to try and get it.

Besides didn't Jobs want to dress as willy wonka at one point.

Last edited:

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
DOES NO ONE READ?

"AU Optronics, which is one of Apple’s suppliers of 1024 x 768 panels for the current iPad mini, expects to begin mass producing 2048 x 1536 resolution 7.9-inch displays by the second half of 2013"

Everyone says Apple could have put a retina screen in the current iPad mini... but that is simply false. The screen technology required to fit a retina screen of 7.85 inches into a thin iPad mini case and run it for 10 hours on the smaller battery that can fit in an iPad mini case DOES NOT EXIST TODAY. Sure they can build a one off prototype but the factories to mass produce it, and at the cost Apple wants to sell it for ($329) DOES NOT EXIST TODAY.

This news simply indicates they think they have the technology licked and will start to build the factory setup to finally mass produce the screens for NEXT YEAR.

----------

This link has it at 497ppi and production starting this year. rumors never quit

http://www.cultofmac.com/200149/app...-on-the-retina-display-for-ipad-mini-2-rumor/

cultofmac is simply misquoting the report from slashgear which clearly indicates the production starts second half of 2013, not 2012. this isn't the AP or washington post reporting... it is geeks at blogs and they get it wrong.

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
DOES NO ONE READ?

"AU Optronics, which is one of Apple’s suppliers of 1024 x 768 panels for the current iPad mini, expects to begin mass producing 2048 x 1536 resolution 7.9-inch displays by the second half of 2013"

Everyone says Apple could have put a retina screen in the current iPad mini... but that is simply false. The screen technology required to fit a retina screen of 7.85 inches into a thin iPad mini case and run it for 10 hours on the smaller battery that can fit in an iPad mini case DOES NOT EXIST TODAY. Sure they can build a one off prototype but the factories to mass produce it, and at the cost Apple wants to sell it for ($329) DOES NOT EXIST TODAY.

This news simply indicates they think they have the technology licked and will start to build the factory setup to finally mass produce the screens for NEXT YEAR.

Agree and am with and I am guilty of glossing over these rumors picking what I 'hope' to believe. but... the link here has changed, on both sites(same link, different story). so the story you read is different from the ones read about 30 min ago.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Highly doubt this is true. If it is then we're likely looking at another 6 months update :eek: Just to piss a load more customers off.

On a better note, it looks like Apple are set on staying with the 4:3 screen ratio. :)

The article states that they will begin mass producing in mid 2013. Which means that they wouldn't be released until 3Q or 4Q 2013.

Also I don't see Apple moving from 4:3 on the iPad. It just has the correct feel - more like a sheet of paper than a laptop display.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
Despite all the hand wringing, there was never any doubt there would be a Retina version next year.

But it's very likely that Apple couldn't get the price/production numbers right for to get something about before the holiday shopping season.

The question becomes when do they release the next version. Conventional wisdom is they hold out for a year. But I don't doubt for a minute they could get this out next spring/summer if needed.

With all the flack they caught for a 7 month upgrade on the iPad 3, do they want to risk the backlash of releasing a Retina Mini less than a year after the original release?

I think a lot of it will be based on how sales go and what the competition is doing. If sales are great, they'll just wait and year and maximize the cash grab this year and release the Retina as a holiday surprise next year.

If sales are sluggish or the competition starts gaining, they may be tempted to drop it earlier.

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
DOES NO ONE READ?

----------

cultofmac is simply misquoting the report from slashgear which clearly indicates the production starts second half of 2013, not 2012. this isn't the AP or washington post reporting... it is geeks at blogs and they get it wrong.

So would it be inappropriate to start the "Apple screwed me over, I just bought the iPad mini and its already obsolete" threads now or should we wait a few months? :D

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
well my mini already has a new owner lined up when the hires version comes out (I really don't like the term retina as I can make mine retina by holding it far enough away ;) )

I think the popularity of the form factor will show that a hires version is definitely on the cards and we should see over the coming months that higher res screens will become more financially viable compared to the standard ones (supply/demand).

I think a hi-res mini will be awesome. I already love the size and form factor so much more than any other tablet Ive had (and Ive tried lots of 7 inchers).

sneaky butcher

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2011

where did you get this information from?

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Gotta love when people take gossip as fact and fact as gossip.

What evidence do you have of what's impossible or what production/price yields are preventing the existence of a retina iPad Mini? Apple is well known for settling on lower specs by choice so whether or not a retina iPad Mini CAN exist is only known by Apple. So why are you trying to pass yourself off as one who knows anything?

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Move iPad releases to September...

I think Apple would sell more units and make more money if they move the announcement for iPads to August/September instead of October. This year iPad minis are in short supply, and will be all the way through to Black Friday (in the US) and on to Christmas. iPhones are still in short supply, 6 weeks after release. The inability to meet demand is leaving money on the table for Apple.

I think they should release all their new products in late August/early September - it will smooth the demand curve with early adopters first, then holiday shoppers next.

So, to stay on topic, I think the next mini will be September of 2013, and I'm really hoping retina, then I'll likely get one.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
The retina iPad mini is NOT in production - allegedly suppliers are readying components for production to start in Q3 of 2013. No real surprise there - it remains to be seen if they can achieve the necessary yield to go ahead with production of the display.

Oh, yay, another rumor. The good new is they may be finished building all those Apple TVs they started assembling this summer.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jefferies-the-apple-television-is-in-full-production-2012-8

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Next ipad mini will have retina. At first I didn't believe it but the power yields from the new technologies will make it possible.

I have an ipad mini. I think it's great for what I do. If they released it in march ill buy it again. Apple needs to stop caring about these people who want to have the greatest and newest as long as possible.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
I personally hope that they never come out with a Retina Mini. I don't want to have to wade through all of the dozens of "I told you so" and "My Mini is now a piece of crap" threads. It's already bad enough with all of the "The Mini's screen is unusable" threads.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
It think apple should go Willy wonka style and just put 10% of the ipad minis out there in Retina mixed in with the regular ones, kinda like the golden ticket and make people buy multiple ipads to try and get it.

Besides didn't Jobs want to dress as willy wonka at one point.

This^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.