Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
PatriotInvasion
macrumors 65816

Any way to reset all settings to factory without Clean Install?

Is it possible to reset all settings in OS X without having to do a complete clean install of the OS? I like how the iPhone has a reset all settings feature and wish OS X had the same.

PS - I know there is the Preferences folder that can be moved but in my experience that is not a true solution for this as plists live elsewhere on the machine.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:49 PM   #2
moderngamenewb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotInvasion View Post
Is it possible to reset all settings in OS X without having to do a complete clean install of the OS? I like how the iPhone has a reset all settings feature and wish OS X had the same.

PS - I know there is the Preferences folder that can be moved but in my experience that is not a true solution for this as plists live elsewhere on the machine.
The only thing that I can think of is to backup everything, create a new user account, then delete the primary account, then restore everything. I don't know of an easier way, but it's certainly easier than doing a complete clean install of the OS
moderngamenewb is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion