Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Is it possible to reset all settings in OS X without having to do a complete clean install of the OS? I like how the iPhone has a reset all settings feature and wish OS X had the same.

PS - I know there is the Preferences folder that can be moved but in my experience that is not a true solution for this as plists live elsewhere on the machine.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Is it possible to reset all settings in OS X without having to do a complete clean install of the OS? I like how the iPhone has a reset all settings feature and wish OS X had the same.

PS - I know there is the Preferences folder that can be moved but in my experience that is not a true solution for this as plists live elsewhere on the machine.

The only thing that I can think of is to backup everything, create a new user account, then delete the primary account, then restore everything. I don't know of an easier way, but it's certainly easier than doing a complete clean install of the OS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.