Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rishi27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I bought this white iphone5 sealed on craigslist it was bought by original owner from BestBuy on 11/05. I have it activated on my AT&T account as of now.

I have a GenuisBar appointment today, my question is will apple store replace my white phone for a black one. There is nothing wrong with the phone but just prefer a black one better.

Any suggestions and comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Carl G35c

macrumors 6502
Aug 14, 2008
I bought this white iphone5 sealed on craigslist it was bought by original owner from BestBuy on 11/05. I have it activated on my AT&T account as of now.

I have a GenuisBar appointment today, my question is will apple store replace my white phone for a black one. There is nothing wrong with the phone but just prefer a black one better.

no, try and get the receipt and exchange at BBY

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

No they won't. If you had bought it within the return period yourself and had the receipt then maybe but not otherwise. Even then you would need to go to Best Buy as that's where it was purchased. Apple will only exchange like for like assuming there is a fault with the phone.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Read about all the issues with the scuffing and the anodizing coming off of the black iP5's.

You may want to stick with the white.

rishi27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
Read about all the issues with the scuffing and the anodizing coming off of the black iP5's.

You may want to stick with the white.

I don't know... There seems to be difference of opinion on all the this scuffing issue. Some people claim it to be really worse and some say it is fine with no scuffing what so ever..

Personally, I like the way a Black iPhone looks. Anyways I will try my luck at apple store and post the outcome.. Thanks!

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

you should be fine, since you are in the 14 day window. Or is that for only apple purchases?

If not return it to best buy, and buy phone at apple store.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
you should be fine, since you are in the 14 day window. Or is that for only apple purchases?
Only for Apple purchases. If it was originally purchased at Apple, he could return the white one for a refund, and then purchase a black one (assuming they had any in stock).

Since it was purchased elsewhere, the only thing Apple will do is provide warranty support (via the Genius Bar). If the device were was, the Genius Bar would swap it for the same model (down to the color). On rare occasions, I've read where a manager has made exceptions (especially if the Genius Bar was out of a particular color), but those are pretty rare.

mjpearce023

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2012
I don't know... There seems to be difference of opinion on all the this scuffing issue. Some people claim it to be really worse and some say it is fine with no scuffing what so ever..

Personally, I like the way a Black iPhone looks. Anyways I will try my luck at apple store and post the outcome.. Thanks!

There are 2 different problems. The first one is the phones coming scratched out of the box. I have had 2 come like that so you have to watch when you first get it. The other problem is some phones scratching really easily. This one I have not had any problem with. I have taken several cases on and off my phone and it didn't cause any scratches. I agree with you, no matter what happens with the coating I like the black much better than the white. The weird things is I kind of like the iPad mini better than the black but I have a while to decided because I'm waiting until they get a retina display.

rishi27

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
I have taken several cases on and off my phone and it didn't cause any scratches. I agree with you, no matter what happens with the coating I like the black much better than the white.

Exactly! Black looks way better than the white one...:)

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
I tried and they wouldn't do it for me because I bought online via Verizon.

But anything is possible if you make a big stink about it...

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
There are 2 different problems. The first one is the phones coming scratched out of the box. I have had 2 come like that so you have to watch when you first get it. The other problem is some phones scratching really easily.

Correct. The latter is defective anodizing coating. Any of the following scenarios are possible:

1) Predamaged iPhone from factory with normal anodizing coating
2) Predamaged iPhone from factory with defective anodizing coating
3) Flawless iPhone from factory with normal anodizing coating
4) Flawless iPhone from factory with defective anodizing coating (which won't be flawless anymore after a little while)

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
no they won't replace it, you didn't buy it from their store and as far as their concerned the phone is now used. You should have just got the black one but now you will just have to stick with it.

junglesnake

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2011
I just had mine warranty replaced by Verizon and they swapped me out from black to white. I think they sell much fewer whites and that's probably while they did it. Don't know but I'm digging the white!

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
No, an Apple replacement will only be like for like. Same colour, same specs..exact same model in every way. I tried that one when my iPhone 4 vibrate motor stopped working, I had a black one and I asked if I could have a white one for the replacement. The guy said I couldn't because it was a like for like replacement meaning I had to have the same colour.

Hope that answers your question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.