Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
ditzy
macrumors 65816

iMac or Retina 15 inch MBP

Ok, I know that in the end I just need to make up my mind, but am finding it hard.

I need a new mac. I wanted to buy a new 21 inch iMac mainly because the 27 is too big for me, and I really don't need a laptop.
My problem is I wanted to get a SSD, I know that I can get a fusion drive, but I spend about 20% of my time in windows and that would run on the HD. Which would annoy me.
The MBP would do everything that I would want it to do, but of course I would be paying the premium for portability. And also for the screen. There would also be the advantage that I could get it very quickly.
What do you think I should do?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Doctor Suarez
macrumors newbie

I'm facing a similar conundrum (which I will be posting about shortly) so I don't have a definitive answer. Still, let me offer one small suggestion: Do you need the retina 15-incher? Would the reduced price of the regular 15 be a good tradeoff for having only a beautiful screen instead of a stunningly-beautiful screen? I have to make this decision as well, so I'll definitely be going to the Apple store to try out both.
Doctor Suarez is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:03 PM   #3
ditzy
macrumors 65816

I have a 24 inch iMac now, I don't think that I would want less than 15 inch screen. And by the time you give the non retina 15 inch a 512GB SSD there isn't much difference in the price.
I think it's still between the retina 15 inch and the 21 inch iMac for me, but I'm beginning to lean towards the MBP. If apple offered a decent sized SSD for the 21 inch iMac this wouldn't even be a thought process for me. I'd happily pay the primium on the price. I don't see why it isn't an option.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:09 PM   #4
wlossw
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditzy View Post
I have a 24 inch iMac now, I don't think that I would want less than 15 inch screen. And by the time you give the non retina 15 inch a 512GB SSD there isn't much difference in the price.
I think it's still between the retina 15 inch and the 21 inch iMac for me, but I'm beginning to lean towards the MBP. If apple offered a decent sized SSD for the 21 inch iMac this wouldn't even be a thought process for me. I'd happily pay the primium on the price. I don't see why it isn't an option.
Buy the Retina Macbook pro and an external monitor (if a TBD is too big, Dell makes some nice 22-24" monitors)

Get a Wireless mouse and KB and voila! all the Utility of an iMac. And you can pack it up when you like and bring it around with you.

problem solved
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:54 PM   #5
designs216
macrumors 65816

You could take the sting out of that portability premium by purchasing a refurb MBP + TB display. I just bought a cMBP 15". It was in pristine condition and carries the same warranty as the new models.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:33 PM   #6
matthewr
macrumors member

I was planning on getting a new iMac (I had been waiting sice February). When the new ones were announced, I started lookin at which size would be better on my desk, and realized they were both bigger than I wanted. So I then decided to go with the 15 inch rMBP with the 512 GB SSD and 16 GB of ram, and I couldnt be happier. It is awesome. When I need more screen real estate, I plug it in to my external 24 inch dell monitor. My iPad is lonely now because I am using my MBP all the time. I thought I didn't need the portability, but I have been carting it around a fair amount. For me, having 1 very capable computer is preferable to having two (iMac and Air) that I try to keep in sync.
matthewr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:49 AM   #7
ditzy
macrumors 65816

Well I've bit the bullet and ordered the retina MacBook. Hopefully I won't regret it.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice