Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
Ok, I do get that, but then the question is why aren't they suing Microsoft for the Slate? My wife saw a comercial for it and until they said it was a Microsoft product she thought it was the oddest commercial Apple had ever produced because she thought it was for the new iPad. And she is not a dummy when it comes to these things, if it can fool her, it could fool anyone.

This is because MS worked a licensing deal with Apple to avoid this issue.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
When will this boorish behavior by Apple and Samsung ever end? It's getting to the point that I hope both companies fail and fade away.

Samsung didn't pick this battle. 90% of the blame for this crap has to be levelled fairly at Apple.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Cheap at any price for Samsung. They shamelessly copy Apple, right down to stores and store-in-store displays, these days.

Samsung had to copy Apple or they'd be on the ropes like Nokia and RIM.

The jury was way too lenient with Samsung last time. Hope Apple is getting better at making its case. They don't seem to have a Jony Ive of lawyers on staff.

Weird, I could swear there is a paragraph of text on Apples UK homepage stating that Samsung didn't copy Apple.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Cheap at any price for Samsung. They shamelessly copy Apple, right down to stores and store-in-store displays, these days.
Except that it wasn't a Samsung store, just a store that sell phones. :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised if Apple will go after RIM since their OS 10 devices are entirely touchscreen and *gasp* have a minimalist design.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Um...are you deluded? Where did I say, or suggest that Apple's legal department are reading the forums? How stupid would that be for goodness sake.

Oh my, you are kind of slow aren't you. I'll take this very slow and step by step so maybe you can follow.
1. My original statement, or opinion was that Apples Legal dept. doesn't care what you think.
2. You stated that you disagreed with my opinion. And not in a nice way.
3. Do you disagree with my opinion or not? Does Apple legal care what you think? It's a simple question.
4. Taking your supposed opinion (namely that Apple Legal does care what you think) to it's logical conclusion is ludicrous and yes, I'm glad you can now see how silly it is. It gives me some hope for your salvation.
5. If you did read what I originally wrote you apparently missed the whole point. The point being that no matter how much you and all the other whiners carry on, Apple legal doesn't care in the least, and will continue to do what they think is best for Apple. Do you now understand? Or do you still disagree?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Good job. I had just tracked it down as well.

It's a software patent on presenting an input history for each form field, that the user can select a previous input from if they wish. It dates from Aug 1995, and is specifically only for "pen based computer systems".

That's why touchscreen-only phones weren't included on Apple's list of possible infringers.

When Apple found out that more Samsung touch phones could also use a pen, they filed the motion to add them to the complaint.

What it all comes down to is whether Apple legals patent suits are good for Apple or not. If they are good, then Apple will reap the rewards. If they are not good, then Apple will ultimately pay the price. I fail to see why all you folks are making such a big fuss about it. Since you seem to be one of the ring leaders. Maybe you can explain. I personally doubt that Apple legal gives a damn what any of you think. So what's your purpose other than self gratification?

kdarling

macrumors P6
What it all comes down to is whether Apple legals patent suits are good for Apple or not. If they are good, then Apple will reap the rewards. If they are not good, then Apple will ultimately pay the price. I fail to see why all you folks are making such a big fuss about it.

"We" also make a "fuss" about the same kind of software patents... ones that are easy to accidentally step on... that Apple is accused of infringing in the VirnetX thread.

Since you seem to be one of the ring leaders. Maybe you can explain. I personally doubt that Apple legal gives a damn what any of you think. So what's your purpose other than self gratification?

A strange comment. Obviously Apple legal already knows why they added more phones to their lawsuit.

I posted the previously unknown details for the benefit of the readers here who are also interested in knowing why.

Many people don't have the time to go research things themselves.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Good for Apple. Samsung can keep selling their crap in Iran.

I just remodeled my entire kitchen with Samsung products. So far every contractor and installer that has seen the appliances tells me I have the best.

So much for crap in iRan.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Suing or resolving things in court is part of business. How the **** any kind of this lawsuit has anything with a consumer in any **** way. Like it or not does not matter ****. The US court has ruled that Apple wins substantially. Do not talk about those ******** about appeal. We do not know the result of appeal even if they really appeal.
Nowadays people like cheap knock off rather than originality. "who cares if it is copied so long as I can buy cheap". Yeah that is right. That explains why US is going down? People will be happy when Apple is bankrupt one day.

xracerjohn

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2012
Again!!!

Come on Apple!!! Time to innovate, not hate, all you do now a days is litigate.
I loved Apple...for the longest time, but you lost me as a customer because you couldn't keep up with the competition. I want to come back to your products, but you have to earn my loyalty back, and that's not via the courtroom.

ad2435

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2009
All this trivial suing from a company that paid 1.6% in taxes on $36 Billion of earnings in 2012.

Most of their products are made in china by 80 cent per hour slave labor and sold to the average joe at inflated prices.

I really wish they would innovate and come out with something new. I don't mean an ipad with a new processor and call it the new ipad.

The android train is gaining momentium and if someone objectively looks at the numbers and vast product offerings coming out based on android, one can see that apple is getting scared and desperate.

Of course those fanboys with blinders will never see outside the box but the numbers are the numbers.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Glad to know that Samsung stole stylus usage from Apple ... must be from the Newton.

Apple should sue HP/Palm too and probably Microsoft when they launch the Surface Pro.

Moreover, technically the Samsung's stylus IS NOT A STYLUS, but a digitizer pen with Wacom technology. End of the case.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
No, it only shows that they are infringing, nothing more

I'm guessing you didn't actually do research into the findings of the trial and why $1 billion (and possibly more) will be awarded to Apple. The jury found Apple's patents to be willfully and knowingly infringed upon by Samsung. Which means that the courts can triple damages paid to Apple.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
They don't owe Apple a dime yet.

And let's try and avoid being racist. Shall we?

OMFG! what did he say? pesky Koreans. How is that racist. You're one of those overly sensitive PC tree hugging pukes arent you? You know, the kind of people that have ruined America.

Oh and BTW, Korean is a nationality, not a race.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
******* off Apple

I mean really, going after products with a stylus pen?

Steve Jobs famously said that if it comes with a stylus, they failed.

So I would very much like to see what right Apple has to go after a competitor that has embraced using a stylus in their devices considering Apple has shunned pen based computing altogether.

I could care less if Apple goes after companies that infringe on actual patents for features IN USE, but when Apple tries to take down companies for products with competitive advantages Apple has pissed on in the past, then its time for Apple to just f** off.

Apple has no right to hold and defend pen based computing patents. Until Apple makes the iPad writable (truly writable, not some dumb drawing app with a 3rd party stylus as thick as my thumb), then they can sue away.

All Samsung has to do is bring up Steve Jobs saying that quote and any sane Judge should throw the lawsuit out because Apple never saw products with stylus as competitive.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I mean really, going after products with a stylus pen?

Steve Jobs famously said that if it comes with a stylus, they failed.

So I would very much like to see what right Apple has to go after a competitor that has embraced using a stylus in their devices considering Apple has shunned pen based computing altogether.

I could care less if Apple goes after companies that infringe on actual patents for features IN USE, but when Apple tries to take down companies for products with competitive advantages Apple has pissed on in the past, then its time for Apple to just f** off.

Apple has no right to hold and defend pen based computing patents. Until Apple makes the iPad writable (truly writable, not some dumb drawing app with a 3rd party stylus as thick as my thumb), then they can sue away.

All Samsung has to do is bring up Steve Jobs saying that quote and any sane Judge should throw the lawsuit out because Apple never saw products with stylus as competitive.

+1.. I agree.

But....Tim Cook is in charge now, thats the only difference...so anything can happen.

They already did on Apple's UK page. *sneaky of them* but how dare they make customers *scroll* to read something they are obviously trying to hide. It should be put, right on top, for everyone to see in all their miserable glory.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I'm guessing you didn't actually do research into the findings of the trial and why $1 billion (and possibly more) will be awarded to Apple. The jury found Apple's patents to be willfully and knowingly infringed upon by Samsung. Which means that the courts can triple damages paid to Apple.

I think the one that didn't researched is you. The $1 billion is for infringing, nothing more.

If they a willfully and knowingly infringed they can be awarded triple of the infringements.

Ah, and it won't be $3 billion. the triple damages and disgorgement of profits are more less $600 million

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I think the one that didn't researched is you. The $1 billion is for infringing, nothing more.

If they a willfully and knowingly infringed they can be awarded triple of the infringements.

Ah, and it won't be $3 billion. the triple damages and disgorgement of profits are more less $600 million

I very much doubt Samsung will have to pay anything as Judge Koh has stated, she is going to look into to throwing the case out all together due to Samsung's complaint or a corrupt jury. In fact, we all know how corrupt the head jurer was and this in essence calls into question the actual integrity of judge Koh herself, seeing as she is supposed to ensure a fair trial and all.

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY
How does this make any sense to you?

By saying that what's going on is morally equal-I'm being sarcastic. Its not. Apple is suing Samsung, has lost everywhere except the US, yet people say BOTH parties are acting like babies. Look, even if Samsung is in the wrong, they're not the ones suing everyone. How are they acting like babies exactly?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
"We" also make a "fuss" about the same kind of software patents... ones that are easy to accidentally step on... that Apple is accused of infringing in the VirnetX thread.

A strange comment. Obviously Apple legal already knows why they added more phones to their lawsuit.

I posted the previously unknown details for the benefit of the readers here who are also interested in knowing why.

Many people don't have the time to go research things themselves.

You never really answered my question. Did you? Unless you are agreeing with my assessment that you are doing it (fighting against patents you feel are not justified) to feel somehow self gratified about opposing Apple legal and their evil patent wars. Apple legal doesn't know you exist and even if they did they couldn't care less. Whatever your anti-Apple patent crusade is about, it has zero purpose or effect in the real world.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
All this trivial suing from a company that paid 1.6% in taxes on $36 Billion of earnings in 2012.

Most of their products are made in china by 80 cent per hour slave labor and sold to the average joe at inflated prices.

I really wish they would innovate and come out with something new. I don't mean an ipad with a new processor and call it the new ipad.

The android train is gaining momentium and if someone objectively looks at the numbers and vast product offerings coming out based on android, one can see that apple is getting scared and desperate.

Of course those fanboys with blinders will never see outside the box but the numbers are the numbers.

Well said.

This latest reveal today, is another crazy Apple move. Talk about insecure...

Apple Patent Madness...

"There's been a lot of talk over the last couple of years — especially by Samsung during the course of its recent patent infringement trial — that Apple has obtained design patent coverage on rectangular devices with rounded corners. While that may not have been true before, it is now. The US Patent and Trademark Office issued patent no. D670,286 to Apple yesterday"

http://goo.gl/WjTTZ

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I'm so glad I ditched Apple products. This reeks of desperation and holier than thou attitude by Apple. Apple is now worse than Microsoft in the 90's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.