Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:59 AM   #1
lantech27
macrumors newbie

Displaying tabular data

I'm new to objective-c and IOS programming, but have a strong background in .Net and web applications.

I'm looking at the SDK and am wondering the best way to display large amounts of excel type data. Anywhere from 2 - 10 columns and a couple of hundred rows.

I have the data in an array in xcode, but the UITableViewController doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
lantech27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:20 PM   #2
truehybridx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lantech27 View Post
I'm new to objective-c and IOS programming, but have a strong background in .Net and web applications.

I'm looking at the SDK and am wondering the best way to display large amounts of excel type data. Anywhere from 2 - 10 columns and a couple of hundred rows.

I have the data in an array in xcode, but the UITableViewController doesn't seem to do the trick.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
A raw idea (meaning i haven't put a lot of thought into it) would be to subclass UITableView and have its cells be UITableViews as well...

Then again there might be a graphing type framework someone has already created to do that
Maybe this? https://github.com/AlanQuatermain/AQGridView
truehybridx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
dejo

Without knowing more about the nature of the data to display, I would say the typical way to display something like this is a master-detail drill-down. Each row of the master (a UITableView) contains a differentiating summary of the row and, when tapped, pops down to a detail view containing all the fields pertaining to that item (i.e. row).
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:00 PM   #4
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Is this not exactly what UICollections were made for?

It's possible that I'm mistaken...
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #5
waterskier2007
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to waterskier2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
Is this not exactly what UICollections were made for?

It's possible that I'm mistaken...
Yeah, seems like UICollectionViews are similar to a big 2D table. I have yet to use them myself, but check out this tutorial

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Bcy3RjzRlnBudA

or the class reference

http://developer.apple.com/library/i...Reference.html
16 GB Nexus 7 (2012)
waterskier2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 08:38 AM   #6
dejo

Note: UICollectionView is only available in iOS 6.0 and later. If you're still trying to support iOS 5 or earlier, you can't use them.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:49 AM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Note: UICollectionView is only available in iOS 6.0 and later. If you're still trying to support iOS 5 or earlier, you can't use them.
According to the latest Chitika reports, iOS 6 had 61% adoption two weeks ago. Extrapolating from the data they used in this report, I estimate adoption is somewhere between 63% and 66% today.

And given your app will be released in the future, not today, adoption will be even higher still at that point.

And I don't have data to back this up, but I suspect that most people who download apps from the App Store also keep their devices up to date.

The Chitika report I got my data from:
http://insights.chitika.com/2012/ios-6-adoption-one-month/
ArtOfWarfare is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:57 AM   #8
dejo

Just thought I'd throw the iOS6 restriction out there, in case the OP had some requirement for supporting older OSes. I know that my newest version of a.k.a. (currently in beta-testing) is only going to support iOS6+.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > iPhone/iPad Programming