Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Must admit that I don't understand half of the things said, IMHO every review I have read have been favourable, so sod it, I'm gonna be one of the early one's and order on the day of release.

LTE isn't wide spread here, I dont need more than 16GB of storage, and I am close to areas where I can charge my phone throughout the day, I will not carry a freezer around in my backpack though.

If I dont like it I will sell it, if I do like it I will sell my S3.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
See. :p

Good to see improvements. :cool:

What improvements in battery life?

Nexus 4 has sucky battery life.
LG Optimus G has sucky battery life.

From GSM Arena:

Web Browsing

iPhone 5: 9:56
LG Optimus G: 5:15

Video Playback

iPhone 5: 10:12
LG Optimus G: 7:16

gsmarena_002.jpg

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Can't you just root it and get an app to downclock the CPU?

Probably. But that would be sad to have to do that. I'm not purchasing a device that isn't supposed to work the way it's supposed to work.

The one advantage of all this is that Google has the opportunity to fix this before release.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I wasn't going to be an early adopter anyway, but now I'm waiting for a whole different reason. If none of this gets sorted up, I'm going to get an iPhone 5.

PSYCH.

Except for the camera, I'm happy to stay with the GN.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I am not that technically gifted but on what review are these damning reports? I ask the question because I don't know the answer not to start an argument.

From what I can see, someone put it in a freezer and suddenly it becomes a bad phone.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
What improvements in battery life?

Nexus 4 has sucky battery life.
LG Optimus G has sucky battery life.

I wonder if you were this vocal about iPhone 4S' battery problems, or antennagate, or the Mac's battery problems when they had it. Are you this vocal about Apple Maps?

I wonder, I wonder.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/...ne-4sios-5-battery-problem-promises-fix/15997

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/0...updated-with-security-and-battery-life-fixes/

And both of these fixes came from Apple post-release. After "finalized" hardware/software.

With Google, at least they're discovering these problems pre-release. They have the opportunity to potentially fix this before it gets to the hands of people. But what do you care, right? You've made up your mind already, I gather, probably long before any of these reports came out.

Last edited:

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
31 FPS for 1080p!! this is unheard of!!

I knew it was a software issue...in fact some of the review sites had screenshots of the Nexus4 they were reviewing..and there was a "system update available" icon right there on the notification bar!.

a phone less than half the price of an iphone 5 beating it handily on performance.

Btw, a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to try the phone out (thanks to a Googler), and I can say it is probably the best designed phone I have handled. And yes..it feels much more natural on the hand than the Iphone 5 and the build is very solid. Amazingly ergonomic and the materiel prevents any slipping. It's an amazing phone. I'll get it in a heartbeat if not for the fact I have the GNex already.

Oh also (dont quote me on it) the Googler who allowed me to test the phone also mentioned that there is a "possibility" that there might be other variations (more storage, LTE..even though he didn't mention them explicitly)in the future. Imagine this phone with LTE! And also he mentioned that Google is looking for user feedback/suggestions.

PS: edited to add

The screen curves on the sides...and as the verge mentioned, its as if its melted. I found this an amazingly convenient thing as the side swipes on the phone are now effortless(In other phones the thumb would come into contact with the rigid side of the phone...however in the N4 the thumb just slides in due to the curve)

4-5 fps difference on the Egypt HD benchmark is hardly beating it handily.

It's certainly not a difference you'd notice, if it were even a game you could play.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Regarding the browser time, that's using LTE, I'm assuming.

I'm pretty sure that gsmarena are folks from the UK, so there is no LTE here.

This is great news. Does anyone know if the camera shoots videos at 30 fps or 24. The specs show it as 30, but the recording itself seems a bit choppy.

Reviews claim 22fps

There was a rumor, also from a Googler, that said 32GB storage is coming later on.

I don't see how a 32gb will be coming as that is what differentiates it to LGs flagship phone (also LTE + expandable storage). But if it does come out I'm sure it will be round the time the GS4 will be released making it somewhat unattractive.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I don't see how a 32gb will be coming as that is what differentiates it to LGs flagship phone (also LTE + expandable storage). But if it does come out I'm sure it will be round the time the GS4 will be released making it somewhat unattractive.

That's a very valid point about the S4, unless you care about stock Android and direct updates from Google.

But regardless, now, instead of waiting for a potential 32gb, I'm waiting mainly to see if this thermal throttling issue, whatever it is, can be resolved.

Otherwise, Galaxy Nexus until Nexus 2013.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
That's a very valid point about the S4, unless you care about stock Android and direct updates from Google.

But regardless, now, instead of waiting for a potential 32gb, I'm waiting mainly to see if this thermal throttling issue, whatever it is, can be resolved.

Otherwise, Galaxy Nexus until Nexus 2013.

How long do cyanogen mods take to be released after google I/O's??

I really wonder if there will be a 32gb version. There wasn't with the Galaxy Nexus.

I don't think the throttling issues are anything to worry about, there are many phones running quadcore s4s that will soon be released and I do think manufacturers tested them prior to purchase.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I don't really care about these tests. I will find out for myself when I receive mine. By the way, does anyone have any idea how long it will take for Google to ship the phones to customers who purchase it on Tuesday? 3 days?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Thermal throttling has been around for eons. Put it this way.....the S3 does it. Even the Tegra 2 found in the old Xoom does it. CPU will drop in steps with temperature then will finally shut itself off if heat continues to increase. I remember reading an issue that devs could see with the Galaxy Nexus thermal throttling. Never heard much from end users.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=158575

I'm sure the iPhone does it too. I've left mine in a hot car and returned to the overheat message. I'm not sure if it throttles but more then likely, then it will shut down at its high temp limit.

If there is an issue its not due to thermal throttling its due to excessive heat causing the CPU to throttle. I think we'll really need to until we actually get an end product review as far as the N4 goes. Software can fix this maybe easily or maybe more aggressively (lowering clock speed).

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Thermal throttling has been around for eons.

Yeah, I've seen it happen with others peoples iphones a couple times on this forum before. However, it was due to excessive heat like accidently leaving in a car. Im not sure it should happen while just browsing the internet?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I realize that there are issues, but I've been safely parked in the lee of technology for a while, and it's time to ride the bleeding edge again for a bit.

If I can get a 4 to me before Nov 21, I will buy one. If not, I will wait. I just wish I knew when Play would begin offering them (as in, the exact time EST, not "Nov 13").

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Yeah, I've seen it happen with others peoples iphones a couple times on this forum before. However, it was due to excessive heat like accidently leaving in a car. Im not sure it should happen while just browsing the internet?

Its hard to say how much an idevice is throttled. Likely not much since they generally stay cool.

But I imagine its the same way as the S3. It works in steps up to a scolding 120c when it shuts down.

But no, it should be very difficult to NOTICE thermal throttling when doing random trivial task like browsing the web. And typically its the battery that will get hot in a device from excessive draining, not the CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.