Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:44 PM   #26
strausd
macrumors 68030

Can't you just root it and get an app to downclock the CPU?
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:53 PM   #27
daveathall
macrumors 68000

Must admit that I don't understand half of the things said, IMHO every review I have read have been favourable, so sod it, I'm gonna be one of the early one's and order on the day of release.

LTE isn't wide spread here, I dont need more than 16GB of storage, and I am close to areas where I can charge my phone throughout the day, I will not carry a freezer around in my backpack though.

If I dont like it I will sell it, if I do like it I will sell my S3.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:02 PM   #28
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky butcher View Post
The reviewer ran the benchmarks by putting the phone in a freezer! I **** you not.
Where'd you see this?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:23 PM   #29
hyteckit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazUK View Post

See.

Good to see improvements.

What improvements in battery life?

Nexus 4 has sucky battery life.
LG Optimus G has sucky battery life.

From GSM Arena:

Web Browsing

iPhone 5: 9:56
LG Optimus G: 5:15

Video Playback

iPhone 5: 10:12
LG Optimus G: 7:16

hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:26 PM   #30
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
Can't you just root it and get an app to downclock the CPU?
Probably. But that would be sad to have to do that. I'm not purchasing a device that isn't supposed to work the way it's supposed to work.

The one advantage of all this is that Google has the opportunity to fix this before release.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:29 PM   #31
strausd
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
The one advantage of all this is that Google has the opportunity to fix this before release.
Not if it is an actual problem with the CPU, like with what is being reported with the Optimus G.
strausd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:34 PM   #32
onthecouchagain
Banned

I wasn't going to be an early adopter anyway, but now I'm waiting for a whole different reason. If none of this gets sorted up, I'm going to get an iPhone 5.

PSYCH.

Except for the camera, I'm happy to stay with the GN.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:41 PM   #33
daveathall
macrumors 68000

I am not that technically gifted but on what review are these damning reports? I ask the question because I don't know the answer not to start an argument.

From what I can see, someone put it in a freezer and suddenly it becomes a bad phone.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:44 PM   #34
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
What improvements in battery life?

Nexus 4 has sucky battery life.
LG Optimus G has sucky battery life.

I wonder if you were this vocal about iPhone 4S' battery problems, or antennagate, or the Mac's battery problems when they had it. Are you this vocal about Apple Maps?

I wonder, I wonder.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/p...ises-fix/15997

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/09...ry-life-fixes/

And both of these fixes came from Apple post-release. After "finalized" hardware/software.

With Google, at least they're discovering these problems pre-release. They have the opportunity to potentially fix this before it gets to the hands of people. But what do you care, right? You've made up your mind already, I gather, probably long before any of these reports came out.

Last edited by onthecouchagain; Nov 7, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
onthecouchagain is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:44 PM   #35
Irishman
macrumors 68000

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital.l0gic View Post
31 FPS for 1080p!! this is unheard of!!

I knew it was a software issue...in fact some of the review sites had screenshots of the Nexus4 they were reviewing..and there was a "system update available" icon right there on the notification bar!.

a phone less than half the price of an iphone 5 beating it handily on performance.

Btw, a couple of weeks ago I had the chance to try the phone out (thanks to a Googler), and I can say it is probably the best designed phone I have handled. And yes..it feels much more natural on the hand than the Iphone 5 and the build is very solid. Amazingly ergonomic and the materiel prevents any slipping. It's an amazing phone. I'll get it in a heartbeat if not for the fact I have the GNex already.

Oh also (dont quote me on it) the Googler who allowed me to test the phone also mentioned that there is a "possibility" that there might be other variations (more storage, LTE..even though he didn't mention them explicitly)in the future. Imagine this phone with LTE! And also he mentioned that Google is looking for user feedback/suggestions.

PS: edited to add

The screen curves on the sides...and as the verge mentioned, its as if its melted. I found this an amazingly convenient thing as the side swipes on the phone are now effortless(In other phones the thumb would come into contact with the rigid side of the phone...however in the N4 the thumb just slides in due to the curve)
4-5 fps difference on the Egypt HD benchmark is hardly beating it handily.

It's certainly not a difference you'd notice, if it were even a game you could play.
Irishman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:51 PM   #36
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Regarding the browser time, that's using LTE, I'm assuming.
I'm pretty sure that gsmarena are folks from the UK, so there is no LTE here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbir4444 View Post
This is great news. Does anyone know if the camera shoots videos at 30 fps or 24. The specs show it as 30, but the recording itself seems a bit choppy.
Reviews claim 22fps

Quote:
There was a rumor, also from a Googler, that said 32GB storage is coming later on.
I don't see how a 32gb will be coming as that is what differentiates it to LGs flagship phone (also LTE + expandable storage). But if it does come out I'm sure it will be round the time the GS4 will be released making it somewhat unattractive.
mcman77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:03 PM   #37
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcman77 View Post
I don't see how a 32gb will be coming as that is what differentiates it to LGs flagship phone (also LTE + expandable storage). But if it does come out I'm sure it will be round the time the GS4 will be released making it somewhat unattractive.
That's a very valid point about the S4, unless you care about stock Android and direct updates from Google.

But regardless, now, instead of waiting for a potential 32gb, I'm waiting mainly to see if this thermal throttling issue, whatever it is, can be resolved.

Otherwise, Galaxy Nexus until Nexus 2013.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:30 PM   #38
mcman77
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's a very valid point about the S4, unless you care about stock Android and direct updates from Google.

But regardless, now, instead of waiting for a potential 32gb, I'm waiting mainly to see if this thermal throttling issue, whatever it is, can be resolved.

Otherwise, Galaxy Nexus until Nexus 2013.
How long do cyanogen mods take to be released after google I/O's??

I really wonder if there will be a 32gb version. There wasn't with the Galaxy Nexus.

I don't think the throttling issues are anything to worry about, there are many phones running quadcore s4s that will soon be released and I do think manufacturers tested them prior to purchase.
mcman77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:44 PM   #39
Frankied22
macrumors 65816

I don't really care about these tests. I will find out for myself when I receive mine. By the way, does anyone have any idea how long it will take for Google to ship the phones to customers who purchase it on Tuesday? 3 days?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:46 PM   #40
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Can't wait to see new nexus 10 benchmarks. It clearly affected that as well.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:05 PM   #41
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpwg4u0i0c...2018.02.53.png

LG Optimus G says I can't turn up the brightness because the temperature is too high?? I've never heard of this.

Just took this picture in a AT&T store. This is not good. Why didn't any of the reviews mention the over heating issue??
THE JUICEMAN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:05 PM   #42
Seiga
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JUICEMAN View Post

Just took this picture in a AT&T store. This is not good. Why didn't any of the reviews mention the over heating issue??
Broken photo link.
iPad 2 16gb WiFi
Seiga is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:24 PM   #43
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiga View Post
Broken photo link.
Fixed
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:35 PM   #44
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE JUICEMAN View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpwg4u0i0c...2018.02.53.png

LG Optimus G says I can't turn up the brightness because the temperature is too high?? I've never heard of this.

What the
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 05:52 PM   #45
F123D
macrumors 68040

What were you doing with the phone? Just browsing and swiping around?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:04 PM   #46
cynics
macrumors 603

Thermal throttling has been around for eons. Put it this way.....the S3 does it. Even the Tegra 2 found in the old Xoom does it. CPU will drop in steps with temperature then will finally shut itself off if heat continues to increase. I remember reading an issue that devs could see with the Galaxy Nexus thermal throttling. Never heard much from end users.

http://code.google.com/p/chromium/is...tail?id=158575

I'm sure the iPhone does it too. I've left mine in a hot car and returned to the overheat message. I'm not sure if it throttles but more then likely, then it will shut down at its high temp limit.

If there is an issue its not due to thermal throttling its due to excessive heat causing the CPU to throttle. I think we'll really need to until we actually get an end product review as far as the N4 goes. Software can fix this maybe easily or maybe more aggressively (lowering clock speed).
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:29 PM   #47
THE JUICEMAN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
What were you doing with the phone? Just browsing and swiping around?
I did a little browsing then went to settings to try to turn the brightness up. That's all.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:03 PM   #48
F123D
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Thermal throttling has been around for eons.
Yeah, I've seen it happen with others peoples iphones a couple times on this forum before. However, it was due to excessive heat like accidently leaving in a car. Im not sure it should happen while just browsing the internet?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:17 PM   #49
jsw
Moderator emeritus

I realize that there are issues, but I've been safely parked in the lee of technology for a while, and it's time to ride the bleeding edge again for a bit.

If I can get a 4 to me before Nov 21, I will buy one. If not, I will wait. I just wish I knew when Play would begin offering them (as in, the exact time EST, not "Nov 13").
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:23 PM   #50
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
Yeah, I've seen it happen with others peoples iphones a couple times on this forum before. However, it was due to excessive heat like accidently leaving in a car. Im not sure it should happen while just browsing the internet?
Its hard to say how much an idevice is throttled. Likely not much since they generally stay cool.

But I imagine its the same way as the S3. It works in steps up to a scolding 120c when it shuts down.

But no, it should be very difficult to NOTICE thermal throttling when doing random trivial task like browsing the web. And typically its the battery that will get hot in a device from excessive draining, not the CPU.
cynics is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices