Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
This just started a couple days ago. I noticed the battery was draining much more quickly than normal on my iPhone 5 running iOS 6.0.1. I can't think of what I have done differently than normal, but it's as if some sort of process continues to run in the background when the screen is locked. Today, it was almost too hot to touch.

Battery seemed to be behaving normally today until about thirty minutes ago, I noticed it beginning to drain more quickly again, then it started getting hot.

I know I can restore it to see if that helps, and I'll likely try that, but was curious to see if anyone else has had this happen to them over the last couple days?

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
This occurs on my phone when my brightness is 100% along with high LTE/cellular usage.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
This occurs on my phone when my brightness is 100% along with high LTE/cellular usage.

Not the same scenario. This only happens when the screen is off and the iPhone is not being used.

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
From time to time, my Apple products (iPad2, iPhone5, MBP) get hot with routine use. I've found a hard reset on any of these devices often takes care of the problem. For iDevices, hole home/power keys until the white apple show on the screen.

Also, before you do the hard reset, close out all your apps running in the background (double click the home button, press/hold an icon until they jiggle, touch "-" sign.) Sometimes, an app will get stuck running in the background.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
My 4s just started this yesterday. It seems to be happening to others as there's a thread at the apple forums. No one seems to have a fix yet.

These were taken after 10 mins of the phone being in sleep mode. Usage climbed 10 mins so something was in use while phone was supposed to be asleep. Also 4% battery drain in 10 mins while phone sleeping.
View attachment 380965 View attachment 380966

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I found where some are reporting its a bug with the email.

Delete all email accounts on your phone.

Turn off the phone

Turn back on and re-add your email accounts

Seems to be back to normal for me, for now.

sandiLa

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
I just got my this week. I've noticed when I'm online and using some of the apps it's so hot I can barely hold it. Ridiculous! I wish I'd kept my 4. I live in Louisiana and its no fun to hold an on fire phone in this heat.

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Has this ever happened to anyone?? Our iphone 5 got so hot it burnt my husband's face. He has a scar on his face from it. We have contacted Apple and they are not willing to help us with our medical bills. They say there is nothing wrong with the phone.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

They prolly think this story is a little far fetched 1.The phone likely wouldn't work at all ever again at these temps and 2 Why would he hold a sizzling phone up to his face until it burned him bad enough to scar.

Trust me if this were to happen to me apple would listen

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Has this ever happened to anyone?? Our iphone 5 got so hot it burnt my husband's face. He has a scar on his face from it. We have contacted Apple and they are not willing to help us with our medical bills. They say there is nothing wrong with the phone.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Over in this thread that you started (the one with the icky weird photo) you say that you are the burn victim. Here you're saying that it was your husband who was harmed.

Which is it? That other thread is not holding any water, BTW. AND THAT OTHER THREAD SAYS THAT THIS INCIDENT HAPPENED LAST NEW YEAR'S EVE. Who waits 11 months to join a forum and tell a tale of woe like that?

One more thing: you weren't content posting to this thread which has the appropriate topic/title for your post. You started a new thread 21 minutes later. Didn't you think anyone would bother reading here?

IpadSC400

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
A mile high
Well, the thread is deleted now. Good ridiance. You chose the wrong forum to troll...:cool:

For the record, an iPhone could not give you a 3rd degree burn unless you boil it in hot water and then, it would be a chunk of metal, not an iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.