Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
IM tempted to hang onto my 1 skip the 4 and get this...If they add retina, up RAM to 1 gig and update it to an A6 chip now where talkin!

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
Apple could blow us away and use the same res as iPad 3/4, put an A6X, 2GBs of ram 32, 64 and 128GB of storage in it. Now that would be awesome!!

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
No surprise if true and so much for the majority thinking Apple was shifting to a fall release. Apple is such a profit whore it would surprise me if they refreshed the iPad's every 4 months. :p

EnderTW

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
I hope this is true. I have the iPad mini. I'll give it to the gf and get the retina version. Hurry retina!!!

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

If the next generation iPad Mini has a retina display, it will be 2048x1536 to prevent fragmentation. Which would put it at 324 ppi. However, I can guarantee it will use the A5X. The only way I can see A6X being plausible is if its releases late 2013 so the A6X is cheaper to manufacture and a A7/A7X are out. I do believe it will have 1GB of RAM however.

Everyone keeps saying it needs retina, which I agree on. But to bring retina it needs a better graphics chipset, more RAM, and a higher mAh battery to sustain that screen.

Last edited:

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple could blow us away and use the same res as iPad 3/4, put an A6X, 2GBs of ram 32, 64 and 128GB of storage in it. Now that would be awesome!!

And how much are you planning to spend on one? It is serious question in that we are used to having new generation of mobile device with more features selling for the same price as last generation device. In mini, the margin is minimal compare to other Apple product per management discussion in last earning conference call and if the product launch is so close, Apple may sell an up level Ipad mini on top of the current Ipad mini (same set up as Ipad 2/Ipad 3 and not Ipad 2/Ipad 4).

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
If the next generation iPad Mini has a retina display, it will be 2048x1536 to prevent fragmentation. Which would put it at 324 ppi. However, I can guarantee it will use the A5X. The only way I can see A6X being plausible is if its last 2013 so the A6X is cheaper to manufacture and a A7/A7X are out. I do believe it will have 1GB of RAM however.

Everyone keeps saying it needs retina, which I agree on. But to bring retina it needs a better graphics chipset, more RAM, and a higher mAh battery to sustain that screen.

What if it just uses the A6? I wonder if the A6 that isn't under clocked (iPhone 5) can run a Retina 7.9 inch screen... Apple has had a history of under clocking the iPad Chip in the iPhone (iPad 2's A5 running at 1ghz, while the iPhone 4S ran at 800mhz)

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
What if it just uses the A6? I wonder if the A6 that isn't under clocked (iPhone 5) can run a Retina 7.9 inch screen... Apple has had a history of under clocking the iPad Chip in the iPhone (iPad 2's A5 running at 1ghz, while the iPhone 4S ran at 800mhz)

It will not have an A6. There's a reason the iPhone uses A6 and iPad uses A6X. The iPad needs the extra graphical power to push the extra pixels on the screen. Since the iPad Mini would run at the same resolution as the full sized iPad, it would require the same power. The fact that the screen is smaller really makes no difference as its still pushing the same pixels. It will help on the battery though. Less sub pixels to light/less backlight power as well.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Looks like the mini 2 might be coming in the spring with the same res as the iPad 3 and 4.

http://www.theage.com.au/digital-li...already-on-the-way-report-20121108-28zsl.html

I don't buy it at all, for several reasons:

1) it would piss off a lot of new mini owners

2) it would be in the middle of a refresh cycle (the iPad is on a yearly refresh, the mini is an iPad). The iPad 4 was an anomaly and reset the yearly refresh to Autumn, when the iPhone and iPod Touch are released.

3) a retina resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would require an update to the iPad 4, for one reason, a resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would be an iPad 4 in a smaller form factor - it would essentially kill off a lot of sales of the iPad 4 (a more expensive device, with more profit).

It will get an improved resolution, but it'll get one in a year (at the soonest) when the iPad 5 is released - they will not release an updated iPad 4 in the the Spring and an updated mini at that time with that screen resolution would render it obsolete, or expensive for what you get. They won't do that.

Next Autumn will be very exciting. The Spring will be exciting, but I think we'll see other Apple innovations, none of which will be the iPad.

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL

Also I don't see 128GB iOS devices coming for awhile. As Apple tries to maintain its price points, which it can't do if it puts 128GB of flash storage in it. Once flash storage becomes much cheaper, then maybe. I don't foresee 2GB of RAM in an iOS device until the OS advances enough to demand it.

scupking

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 14, 2010
And how much are you planning to spend on one? It is serious question in that we are used to having new generation of mobile device with more features selling for the same price as last generation device. In mini, the margin is minimal compare to other Apple product per management discussion in last earning conference call and if the product launch is so close, Apple may sell an up level Ipad mini on top of the current Ipad mini (same set up as Ipad 2/Ipad 3 and not Ipad 2/Ipad 4).

iPad 2 will no longer be sold and the iPad mini 2 (iPad miniR) will be 399, 499 and 599 for wifi. I see no problem with that. They then will sell the current iPad mini at 299, 399 and 499. Thats what I think will happen.

----------

Also I don't see 128GB iOS devices coming for awhile. As Apple tries to maintain its price points, which it can't do if it puts 128GB of flash storage in it. Once flash storage becomes much cheaper, then maybe. I don't foresee 2GB of RAM in an iOS device until the OS advances enough to demand it.

Your right it probably wont happen but wishful thinking! :D

Quantus

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2012
The only safe assumption is that if the manufacturing process is workable, Apple will release new or updated products whenever it is most profitable. Everything else is conjecture.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012

I am kinda starting to get the feeling that the A6 isnt under clocked. Yes, i realize that the Ipad 4 has a higher clock speed, but it does use a different chip, and its been a long time since the ipad and iphone have used the exact same chip

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
I don't buy it at all, for several reasons:

1) it would piss off a lot of new mini owners

2) it would be in the middle of a refresh cycle (the iPad is on a yearly refresh, the mini is an iPad). The iPad 4 was an anomaly and reset the yearly refresh to Autumn, when the iPhone and iPod Touch are released.

3) a retina resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would require an update to the iPad 4, for one reason, a resolution of 2048x1536 in the mini would be an iPad 4 in a smaller form factor - it would essentially kill off a lot of sales of the iPad 4 (a more expensive device, with more profit).

It will get an improved resolution, but it'll get one in a year (at the soonest) when the iPad 5 is released - they will not release an updated iPad 4 in the the Spring and an updated mini at that time with that screen resolution would render it obsolete, or expensive for what you get. They won't do that.

Next Autumn will be very exciting. The Spring will be exciting, but I think we'll see other Apple innovations, none of which will be the iPad.

1) Apple has NEVER had a problem with pissing people off.
2) How did you determine that the 4 release is now the standard release cycle? I see the primary drivers for the recent releases as responding to growing competition from the 7" tablet makers by getting whatever they could out the door (Mini) and getting the new Lightning connector standard device out there with the 4 (while getting the CPU up to a standard to face new competition from Nexus 10). Maybe release dates will change but there's no proof of that.
3) Maybe Apple is realizing that the smaller form factor market is where it's at and it CAN be flagship model. I've always felt my standard iPads were too big & bulky and wanted something closer to the size of my wife's Kindle. I had hopes for the iPad Mini but couldn't accept the compromises they made to jam it out the door. - So, I bought a Kindle Fire HD and will buy a Mini when they put a retina display in it.

astral125

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011

It might be awesome but there is no way In hell this is going to happen.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
if it uses IGZO, they should keep it the same thickness and make the battery bigger

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
1) Apple has NEVER had a problem with pissing people off.
2) How did you determine that the 4 release is now the standard release cycle? I see the primary drivers for the recent releases as responding to growing competition from the 7" tablet makers by getting whatever they could out the door (Mini) and getting the new Lightning connector standard device out there with the 4 (while getting the CPU up to a standard to face new competition from Nexus 10). Maybe release dates will change but there's no proof of that.
3) Maybe Apple is realizing that the smaller form factor market is where it's at and it CAN be flagship model. I've always felt my standard iPads were too big & bulky and wanted something closer to the size of my wife's Kindle. I had hopes for the iPad Mini but couldn't accept the compromises they made to jam it out the door. - So, I bought a Kindle Fire HD and will buy a Mini when they put a retina display in it.

Apple has never had a problem pissing off trolls, but not valued customers. You can piss customers off once, but not again, and they're not so stupid to do it again 6 months after this time with the iPad 4.

The iPad has been on a yearly release cycle since gen 1, as of course you know. As you probably also know (forgive if "I'm teaching granny to suck eggs" - an apt British saying) Apple likes simplicity and part of that simplicity comes from infrequent (compared to lots of other manufacturers) refresh cycles. Keeping it simple keeps the costs down (in *all* departments) and that keeps the margins up. If they were keeping to a yearly refresh cycle for the iPad 4, meaning a Spring refresh would be coming, the update they just made for it would have been *silent*. You don't make a splash of any size for a product you just released (relative to their refresh cycles), or for a product you're about to release a refresh for in a couple of months. Holiday iPad gifts previously have been outdated or rendered obsolete in a mere 3 months after receiving the gift - that's a bad thing, and with a refresh cycle that is yearly and just prior to holidays, that solves a big problem.

Finally, the smaller form factor is great, I will agree this, and I will most likely not again own a full sized iPad for a long time (I've got an MBA and a mini, what's the need?), but Apple had no idea before launch that I'd feel this way, or you or others - in fact, you haven't bought their gen 1 yet, so they have no information on your preference! If as the article says, they have been planning this from before the launch, that is something I will not agree - that would mean they had decided that their beloved and highly profitable iPad (full sized) was not ideal and they needed a product to come along and make them more money, so they found a product that made them less money and decided before launching it that it was the new greatest thing, without any real feedback. I don't buy that at all, it makes no sense. They may have *hoped* it would do well, but for the foreseeable future the full sized iPad will remain the premium device with the premium price tag, and they will both be refreshed in the Autumn next year.

You can disagree, that's fine and cool, and the referee will be time, when we will all see. Exciting times, regardless, I say!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.