Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Now that iPad Mini is here, curious what others prefer for daily reading:

iPad Mini
iPad 1/2/3/4
Something else? Why?

I think iPad 3/4 are the best eReaders since they can handle any format (iBooks, Kindle, Kobo, ePub, etc), and have large retina displays.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Any small e-ink Kindle

Because they are small, lightweight, durable, and have a non-reflective screen. Also the run time on a full charge is rated in days instead of hours.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Any small e-ink Kindle

Because they are small, lightweight, durable, and have a non-reflective screen. Also the run time on a full charge is rated in days instead of hours.

Lots of advantages to Kindles. Couldn't get past limited format and the 6" size.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Lots of advantages to Kindles. Couldn't get past limited format and the 6" size.

Personally I like the smaller size of the 6" Kindle (and the iPad Mini). It makes them much more handy. In the physical book world, I also prefer mass market paperbacks to the much larger and heavier hardbacks.

I recognize that it is a personal preference though. I see merit in the larger tablets and e-readers, they just aren't for me.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I just bought a mini and the main reason I got it was to read PDFs, which I read a lot for school (journal articles, book scans, chapters from books, ebooks, all, though PDF). The mini is great for viewing these PDFs, much better than I expected, which is a very nice surprise. My normal reading device is a bog standard, plain and simple Kindle, and I love it. I thought when I got the mini that my poor Kindle would immediately be rendered obsolete, but it's not the case. While I love the mini, I just really love the small and lightweight form factor of the Kindle, plus as someone else on here already said, the batter life is measured in weeks not hours.

I may try reading a book on the mini that isn't for school and compare to the Kindle experience, but I'm quite partial to my Kindle, it's a great device and I'm not sure the mini would beat it.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
I just bought a mini and the main reason I got it was to read PDFs, which I read a lot for school (journal articles, book scans, chapters from books, ebooks, all, though PDF). The mini is great for viewing these PDFs, much better than I expected, which is a very nice surprise. My normal reading device is a bog standard, plain and simple Kindle, and I love it. I thought when I got the mini that my poor Kindle would immediately be rendered obsolete, but it's not the case. While I love the mini, I just really love the small and lightweight form factor of the Kindle, plus as someone else on here already said, the batter life is measured in weeks not hours.

I may try reading a book on the mini that isn't for school and compare to the Kindle experience, but I'm quite partial to my Kindle, it's a great device and I'm not sure the mini would beat it.

Are you using any particular app for viewing PDF files on the mini?

Kadman

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2007
The best display I've seen for text is my wife's Kindle (I think it's third gen? - last of the normal Kindle display size with keyboard below). Anyway, I have a Kindle Fire HD because I couldn't take the text quality on the iPad Mini and hate the bulk of my iPad 3 for reading. Not to sound wimpy, but it's amazing how heavy and awkward a 1.5 lb tablet can feel after reading for any length of time!

Madmic23

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2004
I keep wanting to buy a Kobo, but I haven't taken the plunge yet. I like the idea of an e-ink ereader, and I like the flexibility of the kobo over the kindle. Plus, kobo has cheaper book prices here in Canada.
Having said that, I've only read ebooks from iBooks and the kindle app on my iPad.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
The best display I've seen for text is my wife's Kindle (I think it's third gen? - last of the normal Kindle display size with keyboard below). Anyway, I have a Kindle Fire HD because I couldn't take the text quality on the iPad Mini and hate the bulk of my iPad 3 for reading. Not to sound wimpy, but it's amazing how heavy and awkward a 1.5 lb tablet can feel after reading for any length of time!

The other issue with Mini is that the text for webpages is too small.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Are you using any particular app for viewing PDF files on the mini?

Very good question. I had bought from the days when I owned a gen 1 iPad the app Good Reader. While it is excellent, I want to synchronise my PDF viewing (and annotating, which is a big requirement for me, given the school nature of my PDF reading) so I went ahead and splurged on PDFpen for iPad, as I have PDFpenPro on my iMac. I've also tested the iBooks application, as it displays (and features specifically) PDF files.

Good Reader is great, it's what I first viewed PDFs on in the app (other than the default viewing of Dropbox).

PDFpen at first I was annoyed because it retains a small part of the title bar (the iOS title bar), which Good Reader doesn't, but also because it doesn't fit the entire page by default, I had to keep shrinking it to get the whole page in the display. What I now think is that PDFpen not shrinking each page is a good thing - I read a lot of scanned PDFs, and having that bit of extra zoom (even if you have to scroll down the page a little before moving to the next page) is worth it.

Using iBooks (a quick test admittedly) is a very basic PDF reader, and certainly able to display a PDF. I was even able to read a full PDF page in landscape mode (when the PDF is in portrait), which is more an indication of the mini's screen resolution being good enough to display portrait PDF pages clearly enough in landscape.

I also tried (quickly) these same files in the Kindle app (which I also have on my device) and it rendered them nearly the same, though I noticed when it displayed pages it would pause rendering them until it could render them perfectly, where iBooks might render them quickly with blur, and then render them perfectly. In the end, they both render the same, but it appeared to me to be a different way of handling the files.

One feature I thought might be interesting, and maybe one or all of these apps do this, but it'd be good to be viewing a PDF and have an option be "eliminate white space around the page" (which is similar to what the desktop version of Adobe Acrobat Pro can do, not easily mind you) - so it would automatically zoom in to a point where there is *only* text (or images) for each page, and that would effectively maximise the text area of the page in the display (automatically). That would be cool, I would like that.

All in all, I'd say all those apps are quite similar at viewing PDFs. I'm just well pleased with how the device displays PDFs in general. Hope that helps.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Great detailed info on PDF's.

Interesting that no one so far seems to think much of the iPad or iPad Mini as a primary eReader.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
Just finished 82 pages of a book about 3 chapters and really enjoyed it on the ipad 3. Amazing screen and very clear due to retina and had no issues staying focused on the book versus hopping over on to a game or safari. The size, weight and brightness was perfect and looking forward to reading a little more tonight.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
For work I use my 3gen iPad, reading and annotating research articles and draft texts using either iAnnotate or Sente. I love e-ink readers but find that they don't offer the functionality I need for work, and I'm not interested in the mini for this purpose due to smaller screen and lack of retina.

For recreational reading, I use my Kindle Touch and my Sony T1. If I happen to not have them with me, I use the Kindle and Kobo apps on my iPad.

caoimhe

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2012
My iPad mini... it's the main reason I bought it and got rid of my Kindle Touch. I have many books from the iBookstore that can't be read on a Kindle, plus some from Nook, some eReader titles, and of course a huge library of old MSReader stuff dating YEARS back. While I can get the MSReader stuff onto Kindle, I haven't yet found a way to get the others on one so I need a tablet to have access to all of my books. I also borrow books from the local library with Overdrive. I'd rather carry fewer devices that can do more (which really helps when packing my carry-on bag).

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I love reading on my Nook simpletouch, there is no competition from anyone in my family when I read on that. Using goodreads.com to find book titles i want to read i load them up about 20 books at a time and just start reading.

Its easy to read anywhere just, standing in line to vote, in waiting rooms. Generally can read 2-3 books on one charge.

I do use the ipad for all comics and PDF's.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Nook Simple Touch w/ Glowlight

I bought my daughter this as a gift for good grades, she's a heavy book reader. She likes my ipad for everything else but when it comes to clocking time reading off a device its the nook glowlight all day for her..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.