Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 2, 2012, 01:58 PM   #126
ltb7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziffies View Post
Did you get the brand new iPhone in new retail box with the charger and ear pods? Or just the iPhone?
brand new iphone in retail box - go through apple.com customer service not apple care
ltb7 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 02:06 PM   #127
ziffies
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltb7 View Post
brand new iphone in retail box - go through apple.com customer service not apple care
Thank you!
ziffies is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:34 PM   #128
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Received a brand new retail box replacement a few days ago. Flawless.
bwhli is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:46 PM   #129
ltb7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwhli View Post
Received a brand new retail box replacement a few days ago. Flawless.
awesome - what week? black?
ltb7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:49 PM   #130
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Got a black 32GB iPhone 5 on September 27th. Last week, the home button started to loosen and make a small click on the right side (before making a full click) if you gently pressed it. Decided to take it in yesterday to get it looked at.

Apple Store replaced it on spot no questions asked (no applecare, just basic 1 year warranty that comes with phone) and I receieved a brand new black iphone 5. Surprisingly, this one must've been manufactured at a later week because all the buttons feel sturdier, the screen is more responsive and there are less (precisely none) nicks compared to the first iPhone 5 I receieved.

Very happy

Last edited by Tyler23; Nov 2, 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Tyler23 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 03:54 PM   #131
bwhli
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
awesome - what week? black?
Week 42 in white.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:51 PM   #132
sergiozambrano
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down replacement units poor conditions

I went to the AppleStore to complaint for an issue with the noise-reduction system muting my own voice when un-blocking the ear-speaker (where the other microphone is) - moving your face away two inches from the phone - (see my topics about that in Apple forums) and the two units the brought in the flat white boxes were in poor conditions.

One of them had a little chip in the bezel, and the other was better, but the protection films were full of hand-finger grease prints, and it had something like hardened cookie crumbs stuck between the bezel and the glass and inside the micro-holes at the bottom (where the speaker/mic are).

They came out (not easily, since the cookie dough seemed dehidrated against the metal), but it eventually came out.

I have no doubts the replacements are NOT brand new, but refurbished, or even worse: as per the no-questions way they exchange your phone, I'm sure they just box your returned phone in one of those white boxes and literally hand it to the next dissatisfied customer, and so on.
sergiozambrano is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:56 PM   #133
Kariya
macrumors 65816

Got a retail box replacement about two weeks ago that was flawless. Week 41 Black. C3 Fac.
Kariya is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:12 PM   #134
natwister2003
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiozambrano View Post
I went to the AppleStore to complaint for an issue with the noise-reduction system muting my own voice when un-blocking the ear-speaker (where the other microphone is) - moving your face away two inches from the phone - (see my topics about that in Apple forums) and the two units the brought in the flat white boxes were in poor conditions.

One of them had a little chip in the bezel, and the other was better, but the protection films were full of hand-finger grease prints, and it had something like hardened cookie crumbs stuck between the bezel and the glass and inside the micro-holes at the bottom (where the speaker/mic are).

They came out (not easily, since the cookie dough seemed dehidrated against the metal), but it eventually came out.

I have no doubts the replacements are NOT brand new, but refurbished, or even worse: as per the no-questions way they exchange your phone, I'm sure they just box your returned phone in one of those white boxes and literally hand it to the next dissatisfied customer, and so on.
Why on earth would they do that? You are one misinformed consumer. Those are shipped back to get the refurbished so that they can be used as replacements. Like as if they'll be giving away second-hand iPhones to people with warranty The parts are reused, unless they were the issues, and each refurbish gets a new antenna and front and back glass/aluminum.
natwister2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 04:21 AM   #135
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
for those of you who have exchanged or replaced your iPhone 5 black or white through apple.com or at an apple store can you share your experience.....

were you able to change colors? did apple acknowledge scuffgate? did apple offer you any accessories for your troubles? was it better to go into a store or call apple? how soon are you receiving your new phone?
I am now on my 3rd exchange via Apple Store Online. I was able to change the color. Apple declares no knowledge of the Scuffgate issue, but will replace the phone regardless.

I exchanged my white iphone 5 launch day model for a black model. The black model was flawless except for an extremely nicotine stained yellow screen. This has happened again with the 2nd replacement so I called Apple and they are sending me another one from a later manufacturing week.

I've had nothing but a great experience with Apple Customer Service. The only thing that bothers me is the amount of staff they have that always act surprised or shocked to hear of the issues pertaining to the anodized aluminum.

The sales lady I spoke to just kept saying over and over "OMG! that's awful, we MUST get you a new one right away"

I was like "Chill lady, you sound more shocked and annoyed than I do and it's my phone" lol
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:02 AM   #136
Tyler23
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Got a black 32GB iPhone 5 on September 27th. Last week, the home button started to loosen and make a small click on the right side (before making a full click) if you gently pressed it. Decided to take it in yesterday to get it looked at.

Apple Store replaced it on spot no questions asked (no applecare, just basic 1 year warranty that comes with phone) and I receieved a brand new black iphone 5. Surprisingly, this one must've been manufactured at a later week because all the buttons feel sturdier, the screen is more responsive and there are less (precisely none) nicks compared to the first iPhone 5 I receieved.

Very happy
Damn, this is now starting to happen on my replacement phone..Again, right side of the home button is starting to make a slight click sound when pressed lightly..If I do this on the left side it does not make a sound..What is going on here! It doesn't effect performance (yet) but the sound is driving me mad..
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:40 PM   #137
evorc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Damn, this is now starting to happen on my replacement phone..Again, right side of the home button is starting to make a slight click sound when pressed lightly..If I do this on the left side it does not make a sound..What is going on here! It doesn't effect performance (yet) but the sound is driving me mad..
I dealt with that for 2 weeks! It got worst over time to where I get a crack sound when initially pressed. I replaced last Friday and I got a week 38 no scuff, no dead pixel, and firmed home button. I verified the serial and its not refurb not that I would care.
evorc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:49 PM   #138
BBtoIP5
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by enophi1 View Post
I am now on my 3rd exchange via Apple Store Online. I was able to change the color. Apple declares no knowledge of the Scuffgate issue, but will replace the phone regardless.

I exchanged my white iphone 5 launch day model for a black model. The black model was flawless except for an extremely nicotine stained yellow screen. This has happened again with the 2nd replacement so I called Apple and they are sending me another one from a later manufacturing week.

I've had nothing but a great experience with Apple Customer Service. The only thing that bothers me is the amount of staff they have that always act surprised or shocked to hear of the issues pertaining to the anodized aluminum.

The sales lady I spoke to just kept saying over and over "OMG! that's awful, we MUST get you a new one right away"

I was like "Chill lady, you sound more shocked and annoyed than I do and it's my phone" lol
Do you have to send back your defective phone first before they will ship you the replacement phone?
BBtoIP5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:07 AM   #139
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBtoIP5 View Post
Do you have to send back your defective phone first before they will ship you the replacement phone?
Nope. You won't be left without a phone.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:48 AM   #140
gitkua
macrumors newbie

I'm getting my fourth replacement (black, 16GB) today. The first two were scuffed and dented, the third had WiFi issues where it would only pickup a signal if I layed it on top of my router.

Applecare has been great with the exchanging though. I got a free set of Earpods, Lightning cabel and charger for my third replacement and they waived every Express Replacement fee. Hope my fourth will be pristine :-)
gitkua is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:59 AM   #141
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816

How do you do a swap on Apple.com?

I thought you could only go to a genius bar.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:02 AM   #142
gitkua
macrumors newbie

I did swaps by calling them and using their Express Replacement service where they overnight you a new phone and you send them back your original.

I live in the Netherlands and we only have one Apple Store, which is a 2,5 hour drive for me. So doing this over the phone is pretty much my only option.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:59 AM   #143
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovemberWhiskey View Post
How do you do a swap on Apple.com?

I thought you could only go to a genius bar.
You can't go into an Apple store and do an exchange if you purchased your iphone on Apple.com.

Same vice versa.

You need to call: 0800 048 0408 - ask to speak to after sales

Then they will issue a replacement. Have your order number ready

They will tell you that a carrier will call and organize the pick up of the damaged phone, when the carrier calls you can organize the pick up for a week or 2 after you get the new phone.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 07:21 AM   #144
gitkua
macrumors newbie

Just got my fourth replacement; week 38, C3 factory; scuffed and dented. Unbelievable!

Only one out of four iPhones had no scuffs or dents whatsoever (week 43, C3 factory), but had a faulty WiFi chip. This fourth one is going back to Apple as soon as the AppleCare advisor that is handling my case calls me back...
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:41 AM   #145
BBtoIP5
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Nope. You won't be left without a phone.
So what will stop someone from keeping both phones, and selling one for a profit etc?

My gf's white iphone has a problem with her vibrate/silent button. Nothing happens when you flip the button down and up. I upgraded her to 6.0.1 and it still doesn't work. It's definitely a hardware issue.

I ordered the phone online through Verizon. I'm thinking if I should call Verizon or Apple to replace the phone. The problem is that I'm not in the US.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:06 AM   #146
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
So what will stop someone from keeping both phones, and selling one for a profit etc?

My gf's white iphone has a problem with her vibrate/silent button. Nothing happens when you flip the button down and up. I upgraded her to 6.0.1 and it still doesn't work. It's definitely a hardware issue.

I ordered the phone online through Verizon. I'm thinking if I should call Verizon or Apple to replace the phone. The problem is that I'm not in the US.
Nothing, Apple are trusting you to send it back and if you don't they usually take action.

This is the standard letter they send out

Quote:
Please note that the original unit became Apple property when you received the replacement. We may consider an alternative recourse to recover the Apple property if we do not hear from you.

You need to call Verizon, Apple won't replace it as you purchased it from them.

Give Apple a call and see if you can get some information on how to return it.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:21 PM   #147
BBtoIP5
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Nothing, Apple are trusting you to send it back and if you don't they usually take action.

This is the standard letter they send out

You need to call Verizon, Apple won't replace it as you purchased it from them.

Give Apple a call and see if you can get some information on how to return it.
I just spoke with Verizon. They said they will ship me a new white Iphone 5, but they will have to charge my credit card for the phone. Once I ship back the faulty phone and they receive it, only then will they credit me back for the amount.

I wonder what Apple would say if I give them a call?
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:29 PM   #148
gitkua
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I just spoke with Verizon. They said they will ship me a new white Iphone 5, but they will have to charge my credit card for the phone. Once I ship back the faulty phone and they receive it, only then will they credit me back for the amount.

I wonder what Apple would say if I give them a call?
Apple does the exact same thing. They put a hold on your card in case you don't ship the original back. After they've received the original, they lift the hold on your card.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:33 PM   #149
enophi1
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitkua View Post
Apple does the exact same thing. They put a hold on your card in case you don't ship the original back. After they've received the original, they lift the hold on your card.
They don't in the UK with a debit card. My card wasn't charged , no hold was put on my account for the money.

I think it's mainly America and/or credit cards.

Verizon should not take the money, they can put a hold on your account for the amount but they should NOT be taking any unless you don't send the other one back
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:51 AM   #150
gitkua
macrumors newbie

Quote:
They don't in the UK with a debit card. My card wasn't charged , no hold was put on my account for the money.

I think it's mainly America and/or credit cards.
I live in the Netherlands and Apple puts a hold on your card when doing Express Replacement, not just America.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone