Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smwatson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
London, England
I thought so too. The MBP13 has a resolution of 1280x800 - the same as the Nexus 7. But then, I keep the dock hidden to get more space on the screen (this would be equal to hiding the softkey bar on the nexus).

I guess you probably end up with a bit more space on the MB. But you also have a bigger screen (and it's a laptop!) so you'd hope that would be the case.

Either way, there are a few browsers that offer full-screen mode. And Google will surely add it to Chrome at some point.

shiinx

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2012
I guess you probably end up with a bit more space on the MB. But you also have a bigger screen (and it's a laptop!) so you'd hope that would be the case.

Either way, there are a few browsers that offer full-screen mode. And Google will surely add it to Chrome at some point.

Ah okay, then I should check them out. Does fullscreen mode mean without urlbar and tabs or without the OS bars (like in a movie player)?

Regarding Google, I'd rather have them move the softkeys to the left or right side in landscape mode or allow them to vanish until you perform a certain gesture.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
The one thing that drove me away from the Nexus 7 (but not into the arms of the iPad mini, mind you) was the fact, that in landscape mode the screen real estate gets really narrow. With not being able to hide top- and softkey-bars in general, you already get less space. Then when using some apps, it gets even worse. For example, the tabs and urlbar in chrome leave only about 1280x640 for actual content.

Isn't that just an argument for using it in portrait? To each his own I guess but that seems like the intended orientation since the launcher didn't even support landscape until the last release.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I've been a longtime iPad owner (1 through 3), have been using a Nexus 7 for over a month, and just picked up an iPad Mini a couple of days ago to compare. Thought I'd give my early impressions regarding the Nexus 7 vs. the iPad Mini.

Mini Pros:
  • Terrific build quality and exceptional materials--very thin and light, aluminum and glass feel solid
  • Bright, vibrant screen
  • Larger screen--extra 0.9" and 4:3 ratio does give a lot more screen real estate
  • iOS ecosystem (high quality apps)

Mini Cons:
  • Inferior screen resolution--definitely noticable next to the Nexus 7 and iPad 3/4
  • Dated processor
  • Price

Nexus 7 Pros:
  • Good build quality and good materials--not a match for the Mini (IMO)--larger gaps, but still feels solid and I do like the grippiness of the back material
  • 720p screen resolution
  • Flexibility of Android--can pretty much customize it exactly how you'd like it
  • Price

Nexus 7 Cons:
  • 16:9 screen ratio--less ideal for portrait but even worse in landscape for anything other than viewing movies
  • App quality--I've you'd dozens of apps on both iOS and Android on both a phone and tablet and they generally just don't match up to iOS. I'll elaborate further but this point has already been discussed to death prior to my post and I think it still holds true
  • screen colors and brightness not as good as iPad's
  • screen size when coupled with lost space (on screen buttons/status bar)

The Nexus 7 was my second foray into Android (Galaxy Nexus being the first) and overall it's been a good experience. Thanks to using it, I realize that I really like the smaller form factor and as a result, thought I'd give the iPad Mini a try with the hopes that I could ditch the iPad 3 (which I love, just would rather use a single 7" device), but more on that in a minute.

First the Nexus. It's a very good device. I has a nice weight in the hand and is very easy to hold for extended periods of time due to the nice grippy back and narrow profile. It also has a good (not great) screen--text renders nice and sharp and colors are good but a little too warm (it is somewhat on the yellowish side vs. cooler iPad Mini). I also am not a big fan of the 16:9 ratio as it makes the display a bit too narrow in portrait and really limits the display in landscape, especially due to the status bar/on screen buttons at the bottom. The higher resolution coupled with the screen size limitations actually make native font rendering a bit tool small. That being said, having full autonomy over customize the device to your liking is great. I like using large widgets on a tablet--have them for my calendar, Facebook, Twitter and Flipboard. I even have a live wallpaper than incorporates local weather, time, and battery life. Unfortunately, app quality still doesn't match up with iOS, especially for tablets. Far too many apps are just larger versions of phone apps. I also find web browsing inferior vs. iOS--not as smooth, selecting links is hit or miss. Chrome isn't great--I actually prefer the stock Browser app that's not even included in JB on the Nexus, but thankfully the Paranoid Android custom ROM I installed does include it. Also, highlighting text or moving the cursor is not as easy in Android.

The Mini is also good device. The form factor is terrific--great materials and build quality and while larger than the N7, in many ways feels smaller--really like how they minimized the bezel on the sides. While you certainly can't do everything one handed, because it feels so light and thin, you can actually hold it in one hand and do simple navigation with that same hand (turn pages in Kindle/iBooks/Flipboard, scroll up and down in Safari). My personal issues with the device start and end with the display.

It's not a bad display--very good colors and brightness. The real problem is the resolution (no surprise). If I hadn't used anything better than an iPad 2 prior to using the Mini (and that includes any iPhone since the 4), I probably would be very happy with it. However, after using the iPad 3 for 7 months and the Nexus 7 for only a month, the inferior pixel density on the Mini was immediately noticeable to my eye. Putting them side by side just highlights the problem further. Text wasn't as smooth and pictures/graphics didn't pop as they did on either of the other devices. Also, and contrary to Apple's keynote, it results in less web page being display vs. a Nexus 7 (see my photos). And sadly, it became quite bothersome after just a couple of days of use. This issue alone is reason enough for me to have already decided to return it.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea of the Mini. I generally prefer iOS and the Apple ecosystem and would compromise certain features to use them but in this case and considering the price difference, it's just not enough to overcome this flaw, in my personal opinion. It's not an superior device to the Nexus 7 (which is also far from perfect) and inferior to the iPad 3 (obviously) so I simply cannot justify replacing either of those 2 devices with this tablet, as I'd hoped. For the time being, I'll be sticking with the full size iPad and probably keep the Nexus for a while to continue to explore what Android offers. Once the Mini offers a higher resolution display and a bit more horsepower, it'll be the perfect tablet for my needs.

Screenshots:

1) Macrumors forums. Notice how the Nexus 7 actually natively displays more of the forum thread than the mini. Text is sharper, less washed out than on the Mini.

2) Zinio. While the text is sharper, the screen size is a problem for the Nexus, making text too small to read comfortably.

3) Flipboard. Another advantage for the Mini as app layout is superior to the Android version.

Attachments

• IMG_0965.jpg
    IMG_0965.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0968.jpg
    IMG_0968.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
A few more screen shots for comparison:

1) Amazon Kindle. The Mini's font size is 4 from the smallest while the Nexus is the smallest the app will allow

2) Engadget. Notice how much more of the webpage is viewable on the smaller Nexus.

3) ESPN. Same situation here--much more of the page displayed on the Nexus.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpg
    IMG_0969.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0970.jpg
    IMG_0970.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0971.jpg
    IMG_0971.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Isn't that just an argument for using it in portrait? To each his own I guess but that seems like the intended orientation since the launcher didn't even support landscape until the last release.

ONLY the launcher didn't support it--doesn't mean you couldn't use it in landscape for all other apps. And I totally agree that landscape use is really compromised, especially when using the keyboard.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
A few more screen shots for comparison:

1) Amazon Kindle. The Mini's font size is 4 from the smallest while the Nexus is the smallest the app will allow

2) Engadget. Notice how much more of the webpage is viewable on the smaller Nexus.

3) ESPN. Same situation here--much more of the page displayed on the Nexus.

Huh, so Apple made this big stink about how much more you can see on the larger mini....and yet....

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I wish people would stop using the term "build quality" when they mean "materials used". Build quality means lack of blemishes, misalignments, damage, ill fitting parts, etc. You can have EXCELLENT build quality with less expensive materials and you can have CRAP build quality with high end materials.

Agreed and edited my original summary to clarify build quality AND materials.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
[*]Dated processor
Your post is a fair comparison except this one point. You should add the same to your list of cons for the Nexus 7--the CPU in the Tegra 3 is also a Cortex A9, same as what you'll find in the A5. They are both equally "dated", and it isn't a great way to compare hardware products. A brand new low-end GPU might not perform as well as an older, high-end model. That's the sort of effect going on here.
Huh, so Apple made this big stink about how much more you can see on the larger mini....and yet....
In most cases, you can fit quite a bit more content onto the iPad's screen, but it depends on the type of content and the display orientation. In landscape view, there is no comparison...the iPad displays over 50% more content across the board. In portrait mode, web content dynamically sized to fit the width will show an advantage to the N7 because it has about 20% more vertical pixels unless you scale the content so they're the same size--then the iPad display shows a lot more. But it's easier to read a Nexus 7 at smaller sizes for the web. Photos and videos show quite a bit more on the mini in either orientation, size-wise, as do e-books, which put a lot more on the mini's page if you're looking at a reflowing document or an A4/letter-sized PDF (where the N7's taller screen does not help).

You've also got to keep in mind that the text on either device for ESPN.com is difficult to read at native size. If you're looking at those posted photos on a regular laptop/desktop, at 100%, they're more than double the real-life size of the device displays. Zooming in to the same physical size on each device will again put the mini's display far ahead in content area.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
font sizes on the mini?

So my main concern with the iPad mini and the reason I'm typing this response on the Nexus 7 is that I hate reading small font sizes on the web. In safari unless I am mistaken you can't change the font size except by using the reader function. In chrome you can set a minimum text size without messing up the formatting of most web pages. It makes the web look like it was designed with you screen size in mind. In the pic posted earlier of the macrumors forum you can see this. Text is large and readable on the nexus 7 compared to the smaller text of the iPad mini even though the nexus 7 has less horizontal real estate.

To anyone who has actually used both devices is this an issue? I have 14 days to decide if the nexus 7 or the iPad mini is the way to go (and I couldn't afford to buy both devices). I like the nexus 7 but I would probably appreciate the form factor of the mini more. And while I don't consider apps to be my main use for a tablet I am kind of curious about the iOS ecosystem.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
In chrome you can set a minimum text size without messing up the formatting of most web pages. It makes the web look like it was designed with you screen size in mind.
You can do the same with a variety of alternative browsers on the iPad, but not with Safari. There are some other threads on it if you look around talking about the pros and cons of each. I believe the one called Perfect Browser is generally considered the easiest to use with regard to the minimum font size setting, but maybe someone else can chime in and point you in the right direction.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
iPad mini 2 rumors already heating up. The new display would kill any other 7 inch tablet on the market and if it gets the A6 or A6x chip, wow.

"But according to display manufacturer AU Optronics (AUO), the iPad Mini is already due a refresh and it claims it has been approached by Apple to develop a 497ppi screen for the next iPad Mini that would give it a 2048x1536 high-definition resolution, comparable with the Retina displays found on the fourth generation iPad, iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro notebooks and four times greater than the 264ppi display found in the current iPad Mini."

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
iPad mini 2 rumors already heating up. The new display would kill any other 7 inch tablet on the market and if it gets the A6 or A6x chip, wow.

"But according to display manufacturer AU Optronics (AUO), the iPad Mini is already due a refresh and it claims it has been approached by Apple to develop a 497ppi screen for the next iPad Mini that would give it a 2048x1536 high-definition resolution, comparable with the Retina displays found on the fourth generation iPad, iPhone 5 and MacBook Pro notebooks and four times greater than the 264ppi display found in the current iPad Mini."

Who wrote that article? It's a total fail. The display on the current iPad mini is not 264PPI, it's 163PPI.

Also 2048 x 1536 in a 7.9" screen is not 497PPI, it's 324PPI.

If this news is true and this gets into the mainstream media, Apple will be insanely pissed about this as it could very well cause a major drop in iPad mini sales as well as alienate people who have just bought one.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Who wrote that article? It's a total fail. The display on the current iPad mini is not 264PPI, it's 163PPI.

Also 2048 x 1536 in a 7.9" screen is not 497PPI, it's 324PPI.

If this news is true and this gets into the mainstream media, Apple will be insanely pissed about this as it could very well cause a major drop in iPad mini sales as well as alienate people who have just bought one.

I don't think Apple will notice. They're too busy hiring/firing and shuffling executives within the company.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London

Yeah they are too busy trying to keep up with demand, between the iPhone 5 and the iPad mini they will have a wonderful quarter.

----------

So my main concern with the iPad mini and the reason I'm typing this response on the Nexus 7 is that I hate reading small font sizes on the web. In safari unless I am mistaken you can't change the font size except by using the reader function. In chrome you can set a minimum text size without messing up the formatting of most web pages. It makes the web look like it was designed with you screen size in mind. In the pic posted earlier of the macrumors forum you can see this. Text is large and readable on the nexus 7 compared to the smaller text of the iPad mini even though the nexus 7 has less horizontal real estate.

To anyone who has actually used both devices is this an issue? I have 14 days to decide if the nexus 7 or the iPad mini is the way to go (and I couldn't afford to buy both devices). I like the nexus 7 but I would probably appreciate the form factor of the mini more. And while I don't consider apps to be my main use for a tablet I am kind of curious about the iOS ecosystem.

Go pick up an iPad mini and see for yourself.
I was having doubts about the non retina screen.
But that has been alleviated.
Good luck :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.