Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:17 PM   #1
insimbi
macrumors 6502

iPhone 5 - gap between metal frame and glass?

I seem to have a slight gap at the top of my iPhone 5 between the glass and metal frame? I can slide a Post-It note in between them. Is this normal or am I looking at calling AppleCare? I do not have the gap at the bottom of my phone.

----------

Actually, there is the same gap all the way down the right side of the phone as well. Only the left side and bottom are tight together.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:20 PM   #2
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

I have it too.

send it back and roll the dice if you want. I would advise against it.

----------

...in fact, I never noticed (my phone is black) until someone on here posted it. I took my incipio case off (it covers this part up) and slid a tiny corner of a piece of paper in there. It blew up.

(just kidding)
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:23 PM   #3
insimbi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I have it too.

send it back and roll the dice if you want. I would advise against it.

----------

...in fact, I never noticed (my phone is black) until someone on here posted it. I took my incipio case off (it covers this part up) and slid a tiny corner of a piece of paper in there. It blew up.

(just kidding)
Haha. Ok good to know. I'm thinking they are all like this? Least I'm not the only one.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4
ematsui
macrumors member

all the ones ive looked at have this issue
ematsui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 12:28 PM   #5
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

As thin as a post-it note is normal for that gap.

In fact, my iP5 arrived with adhesives stuck in the gap in a couple of places but they seem to have fallen out (or dried up) as I can't see them anymore.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:33 PM   #6
legreen
macrumors newbie

Mine has a slight gap. A couple of iPhones I sent back had quite large gaps and you could wiggle the screen, just one reason why they were returned.
legreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Leonard1818
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ematsui View Post
all the ones ive looked at have this issue
False.

This is not an *issue* it's obviously a design implication.

"Oh no! My black iPhone came with the metal surrounding band black and the back is a black color. I've heard a lot of the black models have this issue"
Leonard1818 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:18 PM   #8
ProudLoz
macrumors regular

I have the same gap on my black iPhone 5, it's most noticeable on the top right hand corner when the front is facing towards you. I'm not bothered by it though, I was at first since some piece of dirt got caught in there, but I took it out and haven't notice it till now.
ProudLoz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Zac7
macrumors 6502a

Mine has this too. Kind of annoying cause dust gets in between and it's noticeable when the dust is white with the black iphone.
Zac7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 06:42 PM   #10
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac7 View Post
Kind of annoying cause dust gets in between and it's noticeable when the dust is white with the black iphone.
Same with the black earpiece on the front of the black iP5, on which white dust is very noticeable. Dust was far less noticeable on the black iPhone 4/4S's silver earpiece.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:10 PM   #11
Rocko1
Banned

Hmmm. Wow. So you say there is a 0.09652 mm gap on your phone between the screen and metal body? I really feel for you. I wish there was something we could all do to help, but I am really busy spending my days helping hurricane Sandy victims locate family members, food and help rebuild their homes. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Rocko1 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:48 PM   #12
Tri-stan
macrumors 6502

I have got the same problem on my s3 but at the bottom of the phone. The gap is big enough to slide in some inkjet paper. The place just collects dust and to me is a design flaw. I don't know what it is but things like this really annoys me to the point that I tried to clean it out with a piece of tin foil until a bit broke off and got trapped behind the glass.

The phone should really be a continuous piece of material all the way round the phone. To me it is a fault with the phone but it is a manufacturing tolerance. If these phones were not made in China I would expect better craftsmanship, more like a watch and less like a cheap plastic toy. Maybe a speak more about Samsung here but if it was built better maybe I would be tempted to keep it for longer instead of adhering to this consumerist nonsense.

Look I would rather be out exploring and conserving the earth but given that 7 billion people have already spoilt that for me I am stuck complaining over trivial matters on my phone. It is the only space I have left which is new and undiscovered. Sad really but this is what has become of us.
Tri-stan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 09:11 PM   #13
insimbi
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko1 View Post
Hmmm. Wow. So you say there is a 0.09652 mm gap on your phone between the screen and metal body? I really feel for you. I wish there was something we could all do to help, but I am really busy spending my days helping hurricane Sandy victims locate family members, food and help rebuild their homes. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
What are you doing wasting time on these forums then? Get back out there and help the victims!
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:44 PM   #14
bushman4
macrumors 65816

Sending it back may result in one with Dings &scuffs. Put a case on it and it will be fine.
bushman4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:59 PM   #15
antman2295
macrumors 6502

I've noticed a similar issue with my black 5. I can "squish" my glass back down on my phone every time I take my case off. It makes an "eeek" sound when I do. It is all the way across the top. They claim that it would have to cause the phone an issue to be covered as "defective".
antman2295 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 03:41 AM   #16
itsmemuffins
macrumors 68030

Just checked my black one. I can insert a corner of a post it in the top right hand corner, just on the curve of the corner.
itsmemuffins is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 06:34 AM   #17
dk206
macrumors member

I Had this on my white 32ip5. JUST ON THE RIGHT CORNER which also happened to have light leakage!
Got it swapped and second one is fine. I advise you to get it swapped. If the gap is there it is almost certain it comes with light leakage just below the power button!!
dk206 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:29 PM   #18
studio╣│╣
macrumors 6502

How are you guys cleaning the gunk in the crack? I've gotten dust in there and it's too solid to push out w/ the corner of paper...
studio╣│╣ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:46 PM   #19
chumawumba
Banned

Angry

I was removing a case, and my fingernails slightly chipped, and the chipped flakes fell in that space, and it can never remove it. It is so frustrating!
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone