Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:18 PM   #1
Ratpack1961
macrumors member

iPad 4 running hot like iPad 3

Right now my ipad 4 will actually start to run warm just web browsing. When I run games it gets very hot. Lower left corner just like the ipad 3 did.

I have a genius appointment tomorrow to maybe exchange for another one. I'm curious if any other ipad 4 owners are experiencing warmth issues on the lower left corner even during small tasks.

If not then I'm going to have to talk the genius reps into exchanging to a new one. I've read that draining the battery three times will actually solve heat issues (yep people posted that) so not sure if they'll offer that as advice.

I called into apple care and running the battery to zero percent was all they could advise.
Ratpack1961 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:22 PM   #2
mFrazz
macrumors newbie

No problems so far with the 4. I've used it for some research projects for four hours and didn't notice any heat. I think it's actually cooler than the 3 I just sold.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:13 AM   #3
eastamherstbias
macrumors regular

Not enough details.

What brightness are you at?
eastamherstbias is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Ratpack1961
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastamherstbias View Post
Not enough details.

What brightness are you at?
I'm running at default brightness when you first start. Also I adjusted it to 1/3rd brightness level. Gets warm even that low.
Ratpack1961 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Ratpack1961
macrumors member

I wanted to follow up my post that I did take it back to the apple store and got a new unit that runs much cooler.

It does get warm during games but nothing like the ipad 3.

I'm not sure what was wrong with the first unit, I think it was a wifi issue (when i first turned it on it couldn't find any local wifi connections which was strange). However if your searching the forums and have the same issue where it runs very hot, take back the unit.

So for sure Ipad 4 runs cooler than Ipad 3.
Ratpack1961 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
token787
macrumors regular

Runs cool on my 4.
token787 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:02 AM   #7
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Same issues here...

Bought iPad 4 32GB last night, had some weird wifi drops in speed, restored the ipad, updated to 6.0.1. After doesn't seem to have the wifi drops but bottom left side up to the middle left side gets warm just for wifi browsing with 100 brightness.

Normal ? Or am I being OCD ?
silvetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:20 PM   #8
Mac Fly (film)
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvetti View Post
Same issues here...

Bought iPad 4 32GB last night, had some weird wifi drops in speed, restored the ipad, updated to 6.0.1. After doesn't seem to have the wifi drops but bottom left side up to the middle left side gets warm just for wifi browsing with 100 brightness.

Normal ? Or am I being OCD ?
Just curious why you need 100% brightness. How are your eyes still in your head?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratpack1961 View Post
I wanted to follow up my post that I did take it back to the apple store and got a new unit that runs much cooler.

It does get warm during games but nothing like the ipad 3.
That's good to know. Glad you got it sorted. Mine is coming soon.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Candykwan
macrumors newbie

i have my brightness at 50% give or take a few degrees and i find it gets a little warm when i'm on it for a long time but nothing hazardous. unless it burns me or explodes, i won't be worry too much about it
Old Nov 7, 2012, 01:03 AM   #10
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Reviews of the iPad 4 have all mostly claimed that it does get just as warm as iPad 3 when running intense applications. Whether that's an issue for ou or not is subjective, but it doesn't indicate anything is wrong with your iPad.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:57 AM   #11
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
Reviews of the iPad 4 have all mostly claimed that it does get just as warm as iPad 3 when running intense applications. Whether that's an issue for ou or not is subjective, but it doesn't indicate anything is wrong with your iPad.

Well, then Ipad 4 is same weight as Ipad 3 and it get as warm as Ipad 3.

Why did they even release it anyway???? Did the battery last longer??

Or just to sell lightning port.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 03:17 AM   #12
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Fly (film) View Post
Just curious why you need 100% brightness. How are your eyes still in your head?

When I buy Apple product due to have been "burned" in the past I always test them to maximum, full brightness, play intensive game for at least 30 minutes, play one HD movie, test wireless speed with Buzz Player HD which allows me to connect to SMB shares on my NAS and transfer directly thru that (it shows speed throughput, is that a word ? ) and other tests.

Brightness will let me rule out any issue with screen And yes it's hard on the eyes

But coming from an iPad 2 where I only noticed heating while charging and playing games at the same time this is big news.

I was just browsing this website/forum, Verge and others and the left side god mildly warm From browsing ?

Either way, I'm going to keep it, it's not that it bothers me it's just that I don't want to have a faulty device from start Especially when I paid 812dollars (paid in Euros, converted to dollars just for perspective).

Last edited by silvetti; Nov 7, 2012 at 04:51 AM.
silvetti is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:08 AM   #13
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

The 'heat' on my iPad 3 never bothered me.

It's a really powerful computer in such a small form factor, so a little heat is to be expected.

The thing will have been tested under lots of different stress uses, so it won't be a problem other than your hand getting a bit warm.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:52 AM   #14
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Well, then Ipad 4 is same weight as Ipad 3 and it get as warm as Ipad 3.

Why did they even release it anyway???? Did the battery last longer??

Or just to sell lightning port.
You get the A6X processor which 2x as powerful and I imagine Apple wanted to move away from the A5X manufacturing.

The battery does last longer in the iPad 4 (maybe 1 - 1.5 hours extra) in every day use and of course it now standardises the lighting port so that Apple can try and encourage manufacturers to bring out new devices with support for the new port.

Add to the fact Apple strict licensing for third party lightning cables and adapters = lots of money & control for Apple.

I think they took the chance to update the 'new' ipad to the 'newer' ipad simply because it suits Apple and their manufacturing and supply chain.

Don't assume Apple update hardware 'just for the consumers benefit', it's mostly down to their benefit, - its just that the consumer either gets a nice more powerful ipad.
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:47 PM   #15
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
You get the A6X processor which 2x as powerful and I imagine Apple wanted to move away from the A5X manufacturing.

The battery does last longer in the iPad 4 (maybe 1 - 1.5 hours extra) in every day use and of course it now standardises the lighting port so that Apple can try and encourage manufacturers to bring out new devices with support for the new port.

Add to the fact Apple strict licensing for third party lightning cables and adapters = lots of money & control for Apple.

I think they took the chance to update the 'new' ipad to the 'newer' ipad simply because it suits Apple and their manufacturing and supply chain.

Don't assume Apple update hardware 'just for the consumers benefit', it's mostly down to their benefit, - its just that the consumer either gets a nice more powerful ipad.
I think we can sum up that Apple is doing it purely for their own goods than consumers since lightning port was supposed to make device slimmer but we do not see that in the new Ipad and probably in the coming ones.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 07:53 PM   #16
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
I think we can sum up that Apple is doing it purely for their own goods than consumers since lightning port was supposed to make device slimmer but we do not see that in the new Ipad and probably in the coming ones.
You really think they are going to release a brand new product and use the old connector???

I'm as invested in the old connector as anyone, but even I can see this is completely expected.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 08:43 PM   #17
cherry su
macrumors 65816

My iPad 4 (black 32GB WiFi) also gets warm in the lower left area from playing games.

(Read more of my first impressions of the iPad 4).
cherry su is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:02 AM   #18
silvetti
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry su View Post
My iPad 4 (black 32GB WiFi) also gets warm in the lower left area from playing games.

(Read more of my first impressions of the iPad 4).

What about when just browsing web and using normal apps like Pocket, Facebook etc for 30minutes straight, does it feel cold as could be or warm ?
silvetti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:58 AM   #19
layziegtp
macrumors regular

I consider it a positive. I don't get a lot of blood flow to my hands because I just sit and play with my iPad all the time, the warm back feels wonderful on my clammy palms.
layziegtp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:47 PM   #20
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

All the heat on my iPad 3 always seems to come from the display. It'll get warm if it's above 80% brightness or so after around 15 minutes. Lower brightness (50%) produces no noticeable heat for me.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad