Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:18 PM   #376
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
I'm so glad I ditched Apple products.
Did you boycott Apple because of the lawsuits? I can definitely see a lot of people getting fed up with this stuff.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:20 PM   #377
jctevere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
I think the one that didn't researched is you. The $1 billion is for infringing, nothing more.

If they a willfully and knowingly infringed they can be awarded triple of the infringements.

Ah, and it won't be $3 billion. the triple damages and disgorgement of profits are more less $600 million
ORLLY? Go back to AndroidAuthority forums:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/timothymcc...le-businesses/

"The jury also concluded that Samsung willfully infringed on five of the patents... Because Samsung’s infringement is identified as “willful” there is potential for punitive damages against Samsung. In this case, the statute would limit potential patent damages to three-times the damages calculated by the jury."

The damages at face value were about $1.05 billion. However, the triple damages (if awarded) still won't be $3 billion because only 5 of the 6 patents Samsung was found to infringe upon were deemed willful. So it depends on the damages associated with those 5 patents (still may be close to $3 billion).

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct.
jctevere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:22 PM   #378
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
Did you boycott Apple because of the lawsuits? I can definitely see a lot of people getting fed up with this stuff.
Partly because of all the bully lawsuits by Apple to stifle competition and also because I find the iPhone to be vastly inferior to the Android offerings.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:25 PM   #379
jctevere
macrumors regular

It seems Samsung forgot step 3 of that slide for "directions for improvement":
"Remove a feeling that iPhone's menu icons are copied by differentiating design".

In a nutshell, the slide pretty much says to copy the iPhone's UI and icons, then try to alter the design so people don't realize we copied. LMAO.

Last edited by SandboxGeneral; Nov 8, 2012 at 05:30 AM. Reason: Clean up of quoted text
jctevere is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:43 PM   #380
flameproof
macrumors 6502a

Here is an article that really brings it to the point:

Apple's Taking Its Eye Off the Ball

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...00001&mrr=1.00

It's not only they they spend lots of time, money and effort on litigation, they are also not very successful with it as they lose most cases. They did won against Samsung with that $1.1b judgement.... but...

".... the $1.1 billion judgment isn't likely to hold up on appeal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an outright reversal when technical judges get the case."
flameproof is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:02 AM   #381
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
ORLLY? Go back to AndroidAuthority forums:
http://blog.seattlepi.com/timothymcc...le-businesses/

"The jury also concluded that Samsung willfully infringed on five of the patents... Because Samsung’s infringement is identified as “willful” there is potential for punitive damages against Samsung. In this case, the statute would limit potential patent damages to three-times the damages calculated by the jury."

The damages at face value were about $1.05 billion. However, the triple damages (if awarded) still won't be $3 billion because only 5 of the 6 patents Samsung was found to infringe upon were deemed willful. So it depends on the damages associated with those 5 patents (still may be close to $3 billion).

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct.
Pelase, stop embarrasing yourself, if you clearly don't know nothing about what you're talking at least read what othes that have take time to inform themselves are saying.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/09/a...e-damages.html

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct ore shut yout mouth.
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:06 AM   #382
Vitrum
Banned

People still think samsung paid money to apple or claim the owe money......
Vitrum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:29 AM   #383
jctevere
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oletros View Post
Pelase, stop embarrasing yourself, if you clearly don't know nothing about what you're talking at least read what othes that have take time to inform themselves are saying.

http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/09/a...e-damages.html

Next time you come at me, please come at me correct ore shut yout mouth.
Everything I said was correct... LOL. You on the other hand still refuse to admit that the court ruled it was willful infringement. Furthermore, read your own article that you link as "support" for yourself:

"Even the $1.9 billion figure in the chart I showed you above isn't the grand total. Since Apple also wants to prevail on some items on which the jury disagreed, the amount would increase further if any of Apple's Rule 50 requests results in additional liability findings."

We're already at nearly $2 billion, that number could increase if the items Apple disagrees upon are awarded. Also, the award only includes supplemental damages based on Samsung's sales until June 30, 2012. Apple will also be asking that it be extended until a final resolution is met (which will most likely be granted).

Next time you come at me, don't and just shut up.
jctevere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 12:37 AM   #384
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Everything I said was correct... LOL. You on the other hand still refuse to admit that the court ruled it was willful infringement. Furthermore, read your own article that you link as "support" for yourself:

Next time you come at me, don't and just shut up.
The one that has to shut up is you.

This is what you claimed;

Quote:
If anything the major win for Apple to be awarded over $1 billion should show that Samsung is indeed WILLFULLY and KNOWINGLY infringing upon Apple Products.
And this is totally false, what it shows the $1 billion is that they infringed, nothing more as I said. If you can't understand it, please, try to lear carefully, one word after another. Then, correct yourself because you clearly don't know what you're talinkg about.

So you can shut up and troll in another place. Have a good day
Oletros is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:52 AM   #385
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by brdeveloper View Post
Apple should sue HP/Palm too and probably Microsoft when they launch the Surface Pro.

Moreover, technically the Samsung's stylus IS NOT A STYLUS, but a digitizer pen with Wacom technology. End of the case.
I agree, perhaps Nokia too as their Nokia 5800 uses a stylus pen.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:07 AM   #386
johnsy
macrumors 6502

I told you- apple is dying. When Steve was alive, there were google maps, youtube and many other things - cooperation. Now apple just became a legal company. Lost and confused, with no direction. Yah, you can say that ''but the stock price is going up''. So? How does that reflect actual product use or need? Browse classifieds - many people want to get rid of their stuff, trade things, and there is a magic line in their adds: ''do not offer apple products''.
johnsy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:12 AM   #387
Vitrum
Banned

Well the stock price is actually going down; regarding steve jobs comment he actually started these "mess"
Vitrum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 11:23 AM   #388
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm so glad I ditched Apple products. This reeks of desperation and holier than thou attitude by Apple. Apple is now worse than Microsoft in the 90's.
soooooo what are you still doing on this site?

Awkward.

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 01:53 PM   #389
brdeveloper
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post

Awkward.
In Brazil, there was a dictatorship slogan in the 70s which said:

"Brazil, love it or leave it."

Which in truth was mean to be:

"Dictatorship, love it or be exiled."

You just said something like:

"Apple, love it or leave MacRumors forum."
brdeveloper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:07 PM   #390
adder7712
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post

Awkward.
Not at all awkward. I don't use a Mac anymore but I still have my iToys.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 07:36 PM   #391
Dolorian
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsy View Post
I told you- apple is dying. When Steve was alive, there were google maps, youtube and many other things - cooperation. Now apple just became a legal company. Lost and confused, with no direction. Yah, you can say that ''but the stock price is going up''. So? How does that reflect actual product use or need? Browse classifieds - many people want to get rid of their stuff, trade things, and there is a magic line in their adds: ''do not offer apple products''.
Jobs was the one who declared thermonuclear war on Android and you can bet he was involved with Apple Maps up till the time of his death.
Dolorian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2012, 09:36 PM   #392
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
This reeks of desperation and holier than thou attitude by Apple.
You've hit the bullseye with your assessment.

I firmly believe the iPhone 4S was pushed out in reaction to last years concurrent release of a plethora of Android models. Apple panicked. Prior to the onslaught, Apple had "leaked" the idea of an iPhone 5 but could not get it out in time.

This year, with a mountain of cash and even more stashed in off shore accounts, the lure of profit taking, overcame their willingness to build a phone that would reflect their best work. Instead choosing to do a milk toast upgrade.

At this rate, next year is likely to be more of the same. Boring. Yet highly profitable for Apple. They're going to milk this as long as possible.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 05:07 AM   #393
robeddie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameproof View Post
Here is an article that really brings it to the point:

Apple's Taking Its Eye Off the Ball

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...00001&mrr=1.00

It's not only they they spend lots of time, money and effort on litigation, they are also not very successful with it as they lose most cases. They did won against Samsung with that $1.1b judgement.... but...

".... the $1.1 billion judgment isn't likely to hold up on appeal, and I wouldn't be surprised to see an outright reversal when technical judges get the case."
Great link. I will add that the writer of that article clearly does not seem to be an Apple 'basher'. It sounds like he really wants them to succeed, and feels what they're doing right now is the wrong path.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion